E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-17-2002, 01:07 AM   #1
presario

My Ride: 330ci
Oil Change Question

Hey Guys, I've had my car for almost 17,000 miles now and I just had my oil changed at 14,000. I want to change my oil but the dealer keeps telling me that I don't have to. I also asked the guy at the BMW body shop and he agreed with the service advisor. I don't drive my car that hard but I have been close to red line on a about 15 times, and once to 6,500 when I was racing a WRX (all since the last oil change). Do you think I should get an oil change? And if I should, where can I go besides the dealer? They want $95!!!! I guess Mobil 1 would be a good choice, no? 5W-40 sound right? Thanks so much guys.

Sig by Jojo//Celsius One
presario is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-17-2002, 01:56 AM   #2
dadevil2335

presario , I would just go ahead and change it. You will definitely feel the difference with new oil. Most people on the boards ignore the 15,000 mile crap that BMW used as a sales ploy. You are better off changing it, the oil is pretty much the life of your car, no sense in risking it. I noticed that you live in cerritos, I'm in Downey. Just change it yourself, it's pretty easy. I was hesitant myself, but it's not so bad. I purchased my oil in my last oil change at target by cerritos mall, i can't remember how much it was....i think $4.20, get 7 bottles to play it safe, add a little at a time on the last 2. Check the level. Also, get your oil filter from the dealer, it ranges from $8-12. Also, get a 36mm socket wrench, they're cheap for the oil filter and 17mm socket wrench, normally included in most socket wrech sets. You'll be proud of yourself for this small accomplishment. Let me know if you have anymore questions.
dadevil2335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2002, 05:09 AM   #3
presario

Thanks dadevil2335

I appreciate the post. You're in downey? Cool! Are you going to Bimmerfest? Just curious

Sig by Jojo//Celsius One
Old 04-17-2002, 08:08 AM   #4
BAVARIAN323i
Ballin'

My Ride: 1999 323i
Send a message via AIM to BAVARIAN323i
I GIVE my dealership MOBIL ONE and they put it in for me for a smaller charge

CHANGE IT
BAVARIAN323i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2002, 08:15 AM   #5
vinnymac
St. Louis BMW Fanatic

My Ride: 2011 335is
Send a message via AIM to vinnymac
It never hurts to change your oil...

I change mine every 5000 miles. I do it myself. It's really quite simple. Use Mobil 1 5w-30 and order some OEM filters from PacificBMW ($5.10). The whole things should cost you less than $45.

I really dislike the 15,000 mile oil change schedule. It's more a marketing tool than anything else. The oil is your engine's lifeblood. DO NOT neglect it.

Trying to save $40-$50 on a $40k+ car just doesn't make any sense.
vinnymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2002, 11:49 AM   #6
presario

Thanks for the tip buds. I'll get right on it

Sig by Jojo//Celsius One
Old 04-17-2002, 11:50 AM   #7
B
OG Moderator Extraordinaire

My Ride: 325iX-M3-525iT-M5
Send a message via AIM to B
Re: It never hurts to change your oil...

Quote:
Originally posted by vinnymac
I change mine every 5000 miles. I do it myself. It's really quite simple. Use Mobil 1 5w-30 and order some OEM filters from PacificBMW ($5.10). The whole things should cost you less than $45.

I really dislike the 15,000 mile oil change schedule. It's more a marketing tool than anything else. The oil is your engine's lifeblood. DO NOT neglect it.

Trying to save $40-$50 on a $40k+ car just doesn't make any sense.
I'm with Vince on this one... :smile:
Old 04-18-2002, 12:12 AM   #8
dadevil2335

Quote:
Originally posted by presario
Thanks dadevil2335

I appreciate the post. You're in downey? Cool! Are you going to Bimmerfest? Just curious
No, i got a wedding to go to this weekend. Some friend, he wouldn't change the wedding date for me so I can go to bimmerfest.

I know everyone will have a good time, I'll have to just wait for all the write-ups.

Have you decided in changing the oil yourself yet?
Old 04-18-2002, 12:26 AM   #9
Keeferno
Mod Junkie

My Ride: 2002 325xi
Re: Oil Change Question

Quote:
Originally posted by presario
I was racing a WRX
How'd the race go? U keep up with him pretty well?
Keeferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2002, 01:52 AM   #10
presario

Your friend's wedding sounds more important, haha. My friend is helping me change the oil. Thanks for the advice.

I raced my friend's stock WRX. It was kind of hard to gauge because he isn't too skilled in his shifting. His car is completely stock too. I beat him by a 1/2 car length to sixty but it's because he doesn't know how to start. He would kill me when he learns to launch. It's extremely quick, even stock

Sig by Jojo//Celsius One
Old 04-18-2002, 02:25 AM   #11
Chase265
Suck it easy.............

My Ride: A BIG POS
Send a message via AIM to Chase265
Quote:
Originally posted by dadevil2335

No, i got a wedding to go to this weekend. Some friend, he wouldn't change the wedding date for me so I can go to bimmerfest.

I know everyone will have a good time, I'll have to just wait for all the write-ups.

Have you decided in changing the oil yourself yet?
thats funny, I have a wedding to go to this weekend too, thats why I can't go to bimmerfest :tongue:

wouldn't it be funny if it's the same wedding
Old 04-18-2002, 03:01 AM   #12
presario

Hey guys, ditch together and come to Bimmerfest!!!

Sig by Jojo//Celsius One
Old 04-18-2002, 10:06 PM   #13
dadevil2335

Quote:
Originally posted by Chase265

thats funny, I have a wedding to go to this weekend too, thats why I can't go to bimmerfest :tongue:

wouldn't it be funny if it's the same wedding
Chase where's the wedding at that you're going to....that would be pretty funny if it's the same wedding. I have to head out to San Diego, I'm actually just waiting for a few friends to get off work so we can all head out for the bachelor party!!! Talk to you guys later! Have fun at Bimmerfest!