E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-15-2004, 09:19 PM   #1
classiguy3

My Ride: Mmmmgood..
Coilovers or ACS suspension?

I dont knowwhich set ot get. I have an o2 M3 cabrio and was looking for a lower ride but not to harsh. I am running 19's. I called SPP nad they gave me a price of 1400 for the FK coilover set which adjusts height and dampening. I am a bit concerned about exactly getting the rear height correct. I never did it befor and I dont want the car to ride lopsided. The plus thing about AC scnitzer suspension is that its on inch lower and no adjustment neccesary. I would rather go for the FK becasue they use koni's.I think acs uses bilsteins revalved(from what i heard) what do you guys think I should do?

"Dare I squeeze three at your cherry M3"
classiguy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-15-2004, 10:19 PM   #2
Jeff43
next mod: recaro child seat

My Ride: smells like surf wax
AC Schnitzer uses Eibach springs and Sachs shocks, same as oem BMW, just built to Schnitzers specs.

i was in a similar situation (with my 323), i chose the Schnitzer set up. i read a lot of threads on here, and the reviews of the Schnitzer stuff were excellent. a nice drop, excellent ride comfort, beautiful handling. one guy had tried a bunch of different set ups before settling on the Schnitzers and said that no other spring/shock combo compared. he did not try any coils though. i knew that i wasn't going to slam my car ultra low, or track it, or get involved w/corner balancing or alignments everytime i raised or lowered it, so i thought coils would be overkill.

unfortunately i haven't installed the ACS package yet, but they sure look nice in the box on my floor... once i get them in i assure you there will be plenty of pics and reviews...

try a search on : craigdobs he was the fanatic who had them in his car on 19's...he's got pics and reviews....
Old 01-16-2004, 08:38 AM   #3
-=Stu=-
UK Member

My Ride: .
I have the ACS Sport Suspension on my car and I've been very happy with it. The only thing which some people seem to over look is that you do loose some ride quality. I'm running 19" alloys which also contributes, but even taking that into account the ride is significantly harder than the factory Sport suspension. I'm happy to live with that and knew it would be this way before I choose the suspension, but some people want the reduction in ride height without the change in ride quality.

Hth,
Stuart.
Old 01-16-2004, 11:19 AM   #4
classiguy3

I have seen alot of convertibles with the acs kit. seems like the front could be e bit lower compared to the rear?

Old 01-16-2004, 11:40 AM   #5
-=Stu=-
UK Member

I can't see any reason for the front to be any lower, in fact it would probably be impractical. There isn't much room as it is. Both my fronts and rears have now had to be re-rolled to get all the room available from them to fit my new tyres beucase of the 'blockier' profile of Goodyear tyres.

I have a new version of my site with a new picture layout just about to go online in the next few days, but all the recent pictures like the one above are on http://www.stu.uk.com/html/convertible/latest.htm There are quite a few on there which show the supension height etc.

Hth,
Stuart.

Last edited by -=Stu=-; 01-16-2004 at 11:47 AM.
-=Stu=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 11:43 AM   #6
Jeff43
next mod: recaro child seat

My Ride: smells like surf wax
i did a search for you and got these pics of the ACS set up...

before

after
Old 01-16-2004, 12:45 PM   #7
-=Stu=-
UK Member

Oops, bad link and too late to edit :

Stuart.
Old 01-16-2004, 07:04 PM   #8
classiguy3

I called ground control. I can get some konis specially designed for my application. Using eibach springs I will probably have the same height of the ac setup BUT the konis and eibachs are warrantied for LIFE! acs just uses sachs shocks revalved for their specific preference. If I am gonna sepend 1500 bucks I would rather have konis with adjustable dampening. I saw a few pics of the cab and it does sit a bit higher than the coupe with the acs setup. Jay from Ground control told me that I would have a 13 1/4 inch from the center of the rim to the wheel well(front) and 13'' for the back. It will ride a bit harder BUT the suspension travel will remain stock.

Old 01-16-2004, 07:44 PM   #9
-=Stu=-
UK Member

If suspension travel is the same as stock, but the ride height is effectively the same as the ACS kit then you won't you get rubbing even if you have them rolled ? When my suspension rebounds i.e. when the wheel is at maximum travel up into the arch, I just clear the arch by mm's. You can only squeeze a finger between the tyre and inner edge of the arch.

Stuart.
Old 01-16-2004, 08:08 PM   #10
classiguy3

why would you roll the wheel well? I am running 24535 19 front and 2753019 rear. It wont hit at all. Ground control knows what they are doing. I trust their judgement/.

Old 01-16-2004, 08:10 PM   #11
-=Stu=-
UK Member

Ah you have an M3 For some reason I thought you were asking for non-M oops. Just re-read your initial post, not sure how I got confused.

Stuart.

Last edited by -=Stu=-; 01-16-2004 at 08:14 PM.
-=Stu=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 04:47 AM   #12
johndddd

My Ride: 02 m-3
stu's ac snitz

you have the sharpest car i have seen. your car is the cover poster for the ac schnitzer catalog i have in my deck. i was going to do that to a 3 series but opted for the M instead. i love your car better than my own. enjoy your car my friend, enjoy....................john
johndddd is offline   Reply With Quote