E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-16-2004, 03:42 PM   #1
Machan

My Ride: 330i and 325CiC
Rattle in Convertible Top?

Has anyone experienced a rattle in their covertible top? I have a 2004 325CiC and I have an annoying rattle that only occurs when the top is up. It seems to originate from the back of the top on the passenger side. I took it to the dealership and they sade they torqued some bolts underneath and it seemed to be fixed for a while but now it's back. I live in Chicago and it's really cold here now which could be a factor.

I'm taking it back to the dealership on Monday, but I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this so I can give the dealership some hints.
Machan is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-16-2004, 04:05 PM   #2
JetBlack

My Ride: 2003 BMW 330ciC
I have a 2003 330cic and I know exactly what you're talking about. I believe that the noise comes from some really stiff wires inside the convertible top knocking into the sides of the metal support pieces in the back of the top. I have never had it looked into so I could be wrong. I have used gummi phlege on all the rubber moldings and that hasn't solved the problem so it's not something friction-related.
Old 01-16-2004, 04:47 PM   #3
phat///M3
Formerly know as phatbimma

My Ride: 03.5 ///M3 Coupe
Äre we talking aboutt a rattly squeeky noise???? if so it annoys the hell out of me, how can we fix this???

(The noise is easily coverred by music volume but its a b!tch when talking to someone and peace and quiet is needed.)
H&R ¦ OEM Aero Kit ¦ JCW Chrome Mirrors ¦ 17" Split Rims ¦ Black Front grills & side grills ¦ Recaro child seat

- OEM CSL BABY -
phat///M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 04:56 PM   #4
Machan

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatbimma
Äre we talking aboutt a rattly squeeky noise???? if so it annoys the hell out of me, how can we fix this???

(The noise is easily coverred by music volume but its a b!tch when talking to someone and peace and quiet is needed.)
Yeah, but if you cranked up the music, you can't hear the engine
Old 01-16-2004, 05:03 PM   #5
Chris - CA Bay

My Ride: 01 330Cic / 89 325i
Send a message via Yahoo to Chris - CA Bay
I've asked my dealer and they told me it was normal. I have a 2001 330Cic that seems to either rattle at the top of the door seals or at the door panel. I was going to try the gummi-fledge stuff, but if it doesn't work, I'll save my money.
The rattle in my car seems to be worse when I first start out after it has been sitting overnight.
I drove my brother-in-laws 2004 330Cic and it has a very similar rattle on the passenger side. My car seems to rattle in stereo.
If anyone has a fix, let me know.

[
2001 330Cic Orient Blue/Gray
Mods: ECIS Intake, Umnizta Pulley kit, 32% Tint
1999 540i Sport - Biarritz Blue/Sand
Mods: 20% 3M Tint / White Euro Lights
1989 325i Delphin/Sand
Mods: JC Chip / Ronal wheels
Chris - CA Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 05:11 PM   #6
Cuore_alfa
alfisti & bimmer fan

My Ride: 01 Toyota Corolla CE
Send a message via MSN to Cuore_alfa
I don`t know if that is normail but my top rattle like a b!acht

8C Competizione
Cuore_alfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 05:26 PM   #7
jewelsm3

My Ride: 04 Alpine white M3
Send a message via AIM to jewelsm3 Send a message via Yahoo to jewelsm3
I think I am experienceing the same thing. It's like a squeeky or rattling noise that is coming from the rear interior cabin of the car. It's a 2004 M3 by the way. I shouldn't be having any noise considering the fact the car is new. If anyone out there know a solution to the noisey problem please feel free to chime in.
jewelsm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 06:52 PM   #8
KoKeyLee

My Ride: 2002 325 Cic
Same here

I have the same thing happening in my 2002 325Cic. In mine, noise is coming from rear passenger side. Funny thing is when I open the top and close it again the noise goes away for little while. Also, when I open the top just little bit and pull on the bar that the canvas is attached to and then close it sometimes noise goes away for day or two but it comes back like bad habit. If anyone find a way to fix this please let me know.

Thanks
KoKeyLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 09:58 AM   #9
Machan

I took my car into the dealer yesterday and they performed what they called a re-alignment of the roof. I believe this involved taking the top off the car and recentering it.

Whatever they did has fixed the problem for now, but it's only been one day and I haven't driven it too much yet.

Hope this helps...
Old 01-20-2004, 11:02 AM   #10
JetBlack

Sounds pretty extreme. I hope that the sounds don't come back now. I am always afraid that when the BMW dealers mess with the car that it will be worse than what you brought it in for.

Last year I had to go in for a recall on the timing for the convertible top. After that my passenger side window never closed all the way down again. The dealer told me that this is normal and that it cannot be fixed. Do your convertibles have this problem too?
Old 01-20-2004, 11:34 AM   #11
SeinnaCic

My Ride: 2014 Corvette
The only rattle/squeak in my car was finally identified as coming from the trim piece that goes across the underside of the top of the windshield. You couldn't really pinpoint the direction that the sound was coming from because the windshield angle would deflect the sound all over the car. When I finally found the origin of the noise, I took down the entire trim piece (involves removing the visors, etc.) and then lined the inside edges of this piece with foam weatherstripping and replaced it. The pre-wire for the Homelink is sitting up in that trim piece and is (was) free to move around, in addition to the edges of the trim piece squeaking against the windshield. Now that both problems are fixed, I have no rattles or squeaks.
SeinnaCic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 12:32 PM   #12
GeoMystic

My Ride: '03 330i ZHP
I had this same problem in my 2001 325cic.

It seemed like the rear gasket that rests on the stainless trim on the rear deck was causing this noise. It got worse in the winter, just before I put on the hardtop. I have brought my car in many times for this and all they kept doing were adjustments that led to nothing.

It's a cabrio and these rattles and squeaks are just something you are going to have to deal with. Prolly not something you want to hear, but it was a reality for me for over 2 years.

2003 330i Mystic Blue - Black Alcantara/Cloth
6 Sp Manual | Performance Package | Cold Weather Package | Silver Cube Trim | Navigation | Bi-Xenons | Moonroof | PDC

OEM Clears - OEM Alarm - OEM TV Function retro - Blaupunkt DVD-ME3 - HD-DICE - DIY Clutch Stop - Silver headlight inserts - M3 Rearview Mirror - OEM ///M Dead Pedal - Euro First Aid Kit - Euro Warning Triangle - 35/20 Window Tint - ECIS CAI - ACS Style Roof Spoiler
GeoMystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 12:45 PM   #13
04ragtop

My Ride: 04 330 Cic
I have the exact same problem. That damn rattle is constant. Not just coming when I hit a bump in the road or make a turn. This rattle is all the time driving at a steady speed on a smooth road. I brought it to the dealer a couple of weeks ago and they did an adjustment and it was gone. For a few hours. The next morning it was back.

I haven't had time to bring it back but I need to. I'm prepared for some squeeks and groans from my top but this is ridiculous. I've owned a couple of old, junky convertibles before and the BMW rattle is much worse than those cars.

I need to get it fixed before the rattle becomes permanent in my brain and drives me insane.
04ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 01:09 PM   #14
Chris - CA Bay

My Ride: 01 330Cic / 89 325i
Send a message via Yahoo to Chris - CA Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoMystic
It's a cabrio and these rattles and squeaks are just something you are going to have to deal with. Prolly not something you want to hear, but it was a reality for me for over 2 years.
I've come to the conclusion that it is the price that the cab owners pay for a drop top. I just turn up the radio or put the top down (in good weather) and the noise disappears.

[
2001 330Cic Orient Blue/Gray
Mods: ECIS Intake, Umnizta Pulley kit, 32% Tint
1999 540i Sport - Biarritz Blue/Sand
Mods: 20% 3M Tint / White Euro Lights
1989 325i Delphin/Sand
Mods: JC Chip / Ronal wheels
Chris - CA Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 01:25 PM   #15
JetBlack

I had a Z3 before my 330cic and I never had any of the squeaks, creaks, rattles and other noises that I have now. Convertible drivers do have to tolerate more noises than hardtop drivers but I think the 3 series has way too many noises that have nothing to do with the drop top! (
Old 01-20-2004, 01:38 PM   #16
GeoMystic

My Ride: '03 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris - CA Bay
I've come to the conclusion that it is the price that the cab owners pay for a drop top. I just turn up the radio or put the top down (in good weather) and the noise disappears.

That is exactly what I used to do!

2003 330i Mystic Blue - Black Alcantara/Cloth
6 Sp Manual | Performance Package | Cold Weather Package | Silver Cube Trim | Navigation | Bi-Xenons | Moonroof | PDC

OEM Clears - OEM Alarm - OEM TV Function retro - Blaupunkt DVD-ME3 - HD-DICE - DIY Clutch Stop - Silver headlight inserts - M3 Rearview Mirror - OEM ///M Dead Pedal - Euro First Aid Kit - Euro Warning Triangle - 35/20 Window Tint - ECIS CAI - ACS Style Roof Spoiler
GeoMystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 04:24 PM   #17
winter_baby

My Ride: e46
Yep, I know exactly what you mean...

It seems that the noise only appears in cold winter weather (not to forget about the window squeeking noise).

I visited my dealer a few times in the first winter for the window noise but they weren't able to fix it back then, and I just decide to ignore it.

IMO, e46 cabrio is much improvement over Z3... Z3 didn't have the same type of noise problems but it was just too noisy overall and too cold inside to drive in winter...

2003 330i Titanium Silver / Black - [Sold]
2000 Z3 M Titanium Silver / Imola Red+Black Nappa
2001 330cic Metallic Steel Gray / Gray - [Sold]
2000 Z3 2.8 Topaz Blue Metallic / Beige - [Sold]
1997 Z3 1.8 Atlanta Blue Metallic / Beige - [Sold]

Last edited by winter_baby; 01-20-2004 at 04:26 PM.
winter_baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 04:42 PM   #18
JetBlack

I miss my 2000 Z3 2.8 and had no problems with it in winter other than terrible handling in the snow. The only squeaks came from the glove compartment door. The convertible top was solid and the car warmed up quickly. I even had heated seats which I never needed to use (they burned my a$$!).

There are many things to like about the 330cic but my heart will always be with my Z. I traded it for the 330cic because after my driver's side window began thumping I took it to the dealer. They fixed the thump but the window never closed properly again. I had a gap between the door seal and the window which they could never fix even after 3 attempts! It whistled while driving and leaked in the rain/carwash. My car was perfect until the dealer (Park Ave BMW in Maywood) screwed it up for me.
Old 01-20-2004, 08:48 PM   #19
winter_baby

My Ride: e46
I can definitely empathize with you on nostalgic aspects of the Z3 from owning one previously. Peace!

2003 330i Titanium Silver / Black - [Sold]
2000 Z3 M Titanium Silver / Imola Red+Black Nappa
2001 330cic Metallic Steel Gray / Gray - [Sold]
2000 Z3 2.8 Topaz Blue Metallic / Beige - [Sold]
1997 Z3 1.8 Atlanta Blue Metallic / Beige - [Sold]

winter_baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 06:52 PM   #20
egruber

My Ride: 2001 325 CiC
I have a 2001 325 CiC and the passenger side has rattled off an on for awhile now. I found one rattle which is inside the passenger seat and has to do with the release lever that tilts the seatback forward. If I raise the lever up about 1/4 inch the rattle stops. Sounds like something tapping against the plastic piece within the seat. There are some other sounds that appear when cold then go away after the car is driven awhile. I won't let the dealer mess with the top. I don't trust them enough because I'm afraid they will cause some other problem in the process. I think it's just something you have to live with for the pleasure of a drop top.

And yes, many people have reported that the passenger window doesn't go all the way down. It sticks up about 1/4 inch. Mine does too. I'd leave it alone.
egruber is offline   Reply With Quote