E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-29-2006, 12:31 PM   #1
UK Beemer

My Ride: 2000 323i
Rear End knocking

Any ideas?

I have a knocking noise coming from the rear. NOTHING is visibly wrong/damaged underneath the car (verified by 3 mechanics, inc Dealership)

So it is none of the usual suspects, sway bar, sub frame etc...and the shocks are 100% new so no mount issues.

The noise has nothing to do with bumps etc but it does seem to be related to body flex, like turning up a banked driveway etc.

The noise is coming from the differential area, under the rear end, no doubt about that.

Any recommendations as I don't wanna randomly go pulling off control arms and bushings if I can help it????

Anyone else has this problem??
UK Beemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-29-2006, 01:02 PM   #2
spencerP

My Ride: 02, 325i
wow same problem... they didnt find anything broken. do you get it when your taking turns and it will clunk in reverse sometime's?
spencerP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 01:13 PM   #3
UK Beemer

yeah very slow speed turning and going up and down banks - it doesn't seem to be related to the actualy turning mechanism, but more the flex of the chassis/axle when turning ya know?

I took a ride IN the trunk to listen for it and it is coming from right where the diff is, dead centre so my money is on control arm bushings or something, BUT I don't wanna open that can of worms unnecessariyl or pay another person to NOT find the problem - the noise doesn't sound bad really, more annoying than anything!!

Sometimes "shudders" if I throw it in reverse and then pull away quickly...but taht is rare... u have any ideas?
UK Beemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 04:12 PM   #4
mikepbrooks

My Ride: e46 323i
Send a message via AIM to mikepbrooks
its the dif. mounts, mine has same problem

You have big shoes on your car ehh? Well i wear size 13 shoes, so what do you think is big on me? Thats right my socks...and what of it!

I like long walks on the beach at sunset and picking flowers to smell them...I hope no one reads this...

Find me on MySpace and be my friend!
mikepbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 09:01 AM   #5
SexE46

My Ride: 2000 328 CI
Yeah i had to have the same thing replaced on mine!! Its a smaal bushing pressed into the diff housing
SexE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 02:12 PM   #6
Stock323iSaloon

My Ride: 323iSE Saloon
have u checked the rear sub frame?
Stock323iSaloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 05:07 PM   #7
EuroBim

My Ride: 2000 323
I would check out the bottom rear spring seats, those springs are notorious for breaking. Usually it is the bottom coil which breaks, and it is easy to miss because it is not quite in plain view, you kind of have to reach into where the spring is seated to actually feel and see the broken coil. have a look and tell us what you find!
EuroBim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 07:46 PM   #8
5speedsteve

My Ride: gets rid of hickups
your not the only one
Old 10-10-2006, 08:05 PM   #9
mikepbrooks

no on is sittin in my back seats lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroBim View Post
I would check out the bottom rear spring seats, those springs are notorious for breaking. Usually it is the bottom coil which breaks, and it is easy to miss because it is not quite in plain view, you kind of have to reach into where the spring is seated to actually feel and see the broken coil. have a look and tell us what you find!

You have big shoes on your car ehh? Well i wear size 13 shoes, so what do you think is big on me? Thats right my socks...and what of it!

I like long walks on the beach at sunset and picking flowers to smell them...I hope no one reads this...

Old 10-15-2006, 10:18 AM   #10
bmv69

My Ride: 2001 bmw 330i
I had the same problem! I was getting a bumping noise on the right rear when I was turning and going up the driveway. I took it to the dealer and they replaced the rear stabilizer bushings and R/S Braket and front control arm bushings. So far it's OK.
bmv69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 10:28 PM   #11
scoliosis

Wow! This is the same problem I'm having with my 2000 323i. Except mine happens on a straight go on flat land. It's definitely coming from the diff area, dead center sound. The sound is like a metalic grind/shudder and ends like a shriek. I tried recording the sound, but it doesn't come out. Hopefully I can repro with the mechanic in the car tomorrow morning.

Another issue I'm having is that it's very hard to put the car into gear when it's cold. Changed clutch, tranny fluid and clutch fluid. But once the car warms up on the freeway, it's ok. Driving around town where the engine heats up but the tranny doesn't heat up as much doesn't do any good, it has to be higher speeds for a while to get it to shift smooth. Any suggestions? Someone suggested tranny mounts or engine mounts, could this be it?
scoliosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 02:01 AM   #12
2JZM3

My Ride: E46 Alpine White M3
Send a message via Yahoo to 2JZM3
I have the same problem. I lowered my car with aftermarket sport spring and then started to hear clunking noises when going in and out my driveway or turning onto an uneven road. My problem was with the rear sway bar end link. Oddly enough, it broke apart and the clunking noise was when it hits the lower control arm. I have fixed it and the clunking noise has gone away.

But now I have a new problem..:-( I am starting hear grinding noise from my rear inner fender well. Here is a similar pic of what it looks like. I can't seem to figure out what is wrong. Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks guys!

http://www.cashmo.org/bmw/left_rear_rub_marks1.jpg
2JZM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 06:51 PM   #13
mikepbrooks

your rims to big?

Old 01-09-2007, 03:01 AM   #14
jt330ci

My Ride: 2003 bmw 330ci
omg finally someone having the same problem im having. Everyone that i spoke too said my subframe could be torn. I got it checked out by acouple people and they all said it looked good. I even tried moving the diff to see if maybe it was loose or a bolt snapprd or something and their was nothing. When i am in reverse backing up a hill and i slam on the gas it knocks. Then it won't do it again. When i am turning on to something that is on an invline and i step on the gas pedal hard it does the same noise. I was thinking that maybe it was just due to my springs but i don't know

-jt330ci
jt330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 07:41 AM   #15
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

My Ride: 2000 E46 with 254K
Sound like the diff bushings are soft we have seen this cause mysterious clunks on a lot of e36/e46/e39 cars.

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech
JB Eurotech Service "Your Reasonable Dealer Alternative"

General Questions can be sent to appointment@jbeurotech.com

1. Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
2. Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
jbeurotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 10:08 PM   #16
mikepbrooks

mainly only the rear bushing on the diff. goes out, the bigger one by itself, the other 2 toward the front dont go bad usually...

Old 01-10-2007, 01:52 PM   #17
cimbali

My Ride: 323i
This doesnt sound like a diy??? what would you expect an indy to charge to replace the rear bushing?
cimbali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 10:33 PM   #18
mikepbrooks

lol its not a DIY it is the mount on the sub-frame of your car and you cant take it off like you would any other bushing, so most likely unless you have that hand tool that garages do that costs ALOT to remove them while on the car...then you will have to get it done for you, I am going to ask my shop tomarrow and ill tell you what they estimate!

Old 01-10-2007, 10:46 PM   #19
rocks
Likes Supermodels

My Ride: Psychedelic Machine
The bushing is cheap but the labour is the quite expensive due to all the work involve with the diff, my labour cost was 400 bucks and this was from an Indy Bimmer shop.
Mods: BBS LM's | Matte black kidney | UUC TSE3 Light | UUC V2 Springs | UUC 5sp pedal set | OEM Mtech II kit | Oem Bi - xenon retrofit | OEM M3 mirrors retrofit | OEM Euro tray| OEM 5sp weighted shift knob | Homelink |OEM Alarm | Sharpie mod | UED 5K hid fogs| GC RSM | Hardwired V1 Euro |
rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 06:22 PM   #20
dave12345

My Ride: 2003 ///M3 6MT
differential bushings.