E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2004, 01:24 PM   #41
VMW Racing
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: 330i ZHP
nevermind.....

Last edited by teamsycracing; 04-01-2004 at 01:29 PM.
VMW Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 04:12 PM   #42
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
1HotBMW - How did you run the cable from the trunk lid to the trunk? Did you cut the rubber cover coming from the lid to the trunk/rear deck?
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 04:27 PM   #43
1HOTBMW

My Ride: 2003 325ci
Send a message via AIM to 1HOTBMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976
1HotBMW - How did you run the cable from the trunk lid to the trunk? Did you cut the rubber cover coming from the lid to the trunk/rear deck?
Yea, I zip tied the wire to the rubber hose that goes from the trunk lid to the inside of the trunk and then I just notched out a small piece on the bottom of the rubber cover to fit the wire in. I didn't want to to open the entire rubber tube and put the wire inside of there because I wanted to make sure that it stayed water proof. Then once you got it inside the hole where the rubber cover is you can just snake the wire through a hole inside the trunk. Let me know if you need anything else. By the way, did you buy the camera?? -Michael.
Old 04-08-2004, 05:58 PM   #44
bigjae1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1HOTBMW
Yea, I zip tied the wire to the rubber hose that goes from the trunk lid to the inside of the trunk and then I just notched out a small piece on the bottom of the rubber cover to fit the wire in. I didn't want to to open the entire rubber tube and put the wire inside of there because I wanted to make sure that it stayed water proof. Then once you got it inside the hole where the rubber cover is you can just snake the wire through a hole inside the trunk. Let me know if you need anything else. By the way, did you buy the camera?? -Michael.
Yes and you were my inspiration. It doesn't look hard. I think I'll do the same but what other choice do I have?
Old 04-08-2004, 07:45 PM   #45
1HOTBMW

Actually, you have no other choice because my way is naturally the best. J/k, make sure you post some pics after you install yours, I wanna see how it turns out. Good luck, and let me know if you need anything. -Michael.
Old 04-08-2004, 11:01 PM   #46
bigjae1976

Wiring

One last thing. The two leads on the camera connector go to a switched +12V and ground, correct? I think you wired the camera to be on at all times correct?
Old 04-08-2004, 11:06 PM   #47
1HOTBMW

Quote:
One last thing. The two leads on the camera connector go to a switched +12V and ground, correct? I think you wired the camera to be on at all times correct?
No, my camera is only on when my clarion head unit is on. The two leads that come off from the camera are a positive and negative. The negative I grounded to the same spot as my deck and the positive is spliced into the power for my clarion deck(the yellow power wire from the deck to the tuner unit under my drivers seat), so the camera is only on when my deck is on. The easiest way is to just ground it to a convenient spot and then to run the power to where your video screen or headunit gets switched on power from because you will always be using the two together. Hope this helps. -Michael.
Old 04-09-2004, 12:06 AM   #48
bigjae1976

Yeah, that was my plan. Just wanted to make sure. Thanks!
Old 04-15-2004, 08:16 AM   #49
bigjae1976

For the future if anyone tries this, if your trunk release in the driver's side kickpanel doesn't work, you have your battery disconnected, your seats locked in the up position and you have removed you trunk keyhole...DON'T CLOSE YOUR TRUNK...You'll will be really screwed because you won't have anyway to open your trunk to reconnect your battery...I almost closed it.
Old 04-15-2004, 10:30 AM   #50
ca1242

My Ride: 2003 330i
Quote:
For the future if anyone tries this, if your trunk release in the driver's side kickpanel doesn't work, you have your battery disconnected, your seats locked in the up position and you have removed you trunk keyhole...DON'T CLOSE YOUR TRUNK...You'll will be really screwed because you won't have anyway to open your trunk to reconnect your battery...I almost closed it.
You could still use a second battery (from another car or one of those battery starter things) and connect it under the hood. Just make sure that to disconnect the original battery you unhook the negative post only (easier anyways) and leave the positive connected to avoid shorting.
Old 04-15-2004, 10:34 AM   #51
ca1242

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1HOTBMW
No, my camera is only on when my clarion head unit is on. The two leads that come off from the camera are a positive and negative. The negative I grounded to the same spot as my deck and the positive is spliced into the power for my clarion deck(the yellow power wire from the deck to the tuner unit under my drivers seat), so the camera is only on when my deck is on. The easiest way is to just ground it to a convenient spot and then to run the power to where your video screen or headunit gets switched on power from because you will always be using the two together. Hope this helps. -Michael.
Isn't the yellow power constant on? I believe the red one is switched with the key. If that is the case, then your caemra is ALWAYS powered up (even when the radio is off), you obviously see it only when the head unit is on though.

Check the power going to the camera with a meter or test light to make sure. Even though the camera uses minimal power, it could be draining your battery unnecesarily
Old 06-30-2004, 03:35 AM   #52
Bimmerboy0160
Banned

My Ride: 04' 330CI,03' E46 M3
so the clarion in dash work with back up camera?

im confusing about how do you wire them, is the back up camera turn on when u in the reverse gear?
Bimmerboy0160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 07:46 AM   #53
Bezita

My Ride: 320i sedan facelift
Can someone host that .pdf file again? the original link does not work.

I was thinking to install this as well. TIA

Click my sig above 4 more pics
Bezita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 09:46 PM   #54
1HOTBMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerboy0160
so the clarion in dash work with back up camera?

im confusing about how do you wire them, is the back up camera turn on when u in the reverse gear?
Yes, the back up camera works perfect with the clarion in dash as you can see from the pictures on this thread. I wired the back up camera so that it had power when my radio was on, and I simply hooked up the video signal from the back up camera into an AUX input on the clarion tuner unit(brain unit). It was very simple to install. I also have my Clarion VRX935VD for sale! Let me know if anyone is interested or needs any ohter help with the back up camera install. Thanks -Michael.
Old 07-04-2004, 05:59 AM   #55
Bezita

1HOTBMW please post the link of the .pdf file or email it to me renizar1@netspace.net.au, my reverse camera is coming...! TIA

Old 07-04-2004, 12:51 PM   #56
bigjae1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bezita
1HOTBMW please post the link of the .pdf file or email it to me renizar1@netspace.net.au, my reverse camera is coming...! TIA
Which PDF...I'm pretty sure I have it. If its removing the lock tumbler, its pretty easy. The hardest part is running the wire from the trunk lid to the trunk.
Old 07-05-2004, 04:32 AM   #57
Bezita

Quote:
Which PDF...I'm pretty sure I have it. If its removing the lock tumbler, its pretty easy. The hardest part is running the wire from the trunk lid to the trunk.
Yes, I need instructions to remove the cylinder lock, if you do have them... please email it to me! TIA

Old 07-05-2004, 11:24 AM   #58
bigjae1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bezita
Yes, I need instructions to remove the cylinder lock, if you do have them... please email it to me! TIA
Email sent...also, you might want to buy some cold shrink tape to put around the tubing from the lid to the trunk.
Old 07-05-2004, 01:06 PM   #59
Dev
PSHOPWERKS

My Ride: Yellow Porsche GT2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micro64
THAT LOOKS COOL

BUT

YOU WOULD NOT WANT TO DO THAT BECAUSE

WHEN YOUR CAR'S BATTERY IS DEAD (forgot to switch off lights or whatever)

YOU CANNOT HAVE YOUR TRUNK POPPED TO REACH FOR THE BATTERY.

YOU SHOULD KNOW WHAT I MEAN

I still wonder how one would get into the trunk to replace the battery if it is dead. Some mentioned that you could pop the hood and jump it there. But by this I mean, the battery is dead (as in dead and not coming back to life via jump lines). If you have foldable rear seats, you may have an option. But what if you don't? Interesting setup though (even though the original equipment of this setup has been sold).

Current Hate Level: 10 | Previous Hate Level: 9
The hatin' level on the E46Fanatics.com board.
Dev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 06:40 AM   #60
ca1242

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dev

I still wonder how one would get into the trunk to replace the battery if it is dead. Some mentioned that you could pop the hood and jump it there. But by this I mean, the battery is dead (as in dead and not coming back to life via jump lines). If you have foldable rear seats, you may have an option. But what if you don't? Interesting setup though (even though the original equipment of this setup has been sold).
A friend installed a camera and connected a steel cable to the latch, so that if the battery dies or is disconnected, he can manually open it by sticking his arm through the ski pass and pulling on the cable. It has saved him more than once.