E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-15-2004, 10:54 PM   #21
Dr Jekyll
Alpine White

My Ride: '04 Alpine White M3
Send a message via AIM to Dr Jekyll
Wow! That's a pretty nice install. I've been looking into the Eclipse AVN2454 though. Do any of you know if this headunit has more or less clearance than the Kenwood DDX7015? Or has anyone installed one of these yet? Here's a pic of the AVX2494, but it looks identical to the AVN2454. The only difference is that the AVN2454 has Navigation and the AVX2494 has a built in hard drive for MP3's.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Eclipse AVX2494.jpg
Views:	578
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	92351  
Old 09-15-2004, 11:13 PM   #22
suckamc

My Ride: Porsche 996 C4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jekyll
Wow! That's a pretty nice install. I've been looking into the Eclipse AVN2454 though. Do any of you know if this headunit has more or less clearance than the Kenwood DDX7015? Or has anyone installed one of these yet? Here's a pic of the AVX2494, but it looks identical to the AVN2454. The only difference is that the AVN2454 has Navigation and the AVX2494 has a built in hard drive for MP3's.
I'm not positive about your question, but I think the 2 units are close in depth. Look here:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...eclipse+double
suckamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 08:01 AM   #23
DarrenE46

My Ride: '02 330ci
Send a message via AIM to DarrenE46
Im lurking on this thread, this looks very interesting. If someone could post up a DIY for modding the vents and installing the deck, that would be great!
DarrenE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 12:40 PM   #24
abefroman

My Ride: 2000 323i
ScottB, did you get the pics yet?
abefroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 12:55 AM   #25
nleeumd

My Ride: BMW 330Ci, 991s
Send a message via AIM to nleeumd
interested in the DDX

whoever has more pics of the vent modding, post it up, this could be a popular navi alternative for those interested. Thanks.
'01 BMW 330Ci | PP/CWP/SP/XE/KVT-915DVD | M3 Lip Spoiler | M3 Strut Bar | Jim Conforti Intake | UUC Sway Bars | Philips Ultinon 6000k HID Upgrade | Philips Ultinon 6000k HID Foglights | JL Audio Stealth Box | Clears All Around | 18" ASA AR1's | LED Tails | Rearview Keyhole Camera
nleeumd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 04:02 AM   #26
leopoldo_p76

My Ride: e46 320cd
Instructions on vent modding

To mod the vent unit you have to cut out aproximately 2,5cm in depth an in height. you should start from the center of the hvac unit and work your way out to the left and right. the only thing you have to be careful of is that there are the flaps for the foot well air ducts on both sides and that in the back of the unit is the fiberglass rod tha controls the air ducts. If you start from the center and work your way slowly outward and in depth you can see the situation clearly. Once you have cut out the unit as much as possible remembering not to compromise the flap function you can make an inlet to lay your radio on (i made it out of metal and siliconed it to the vent box). You won't be able to center the head unit perfectly but it will fit fully in depth. Unfortunately don't have pics of the hvac job but will post pics of the final prod in next few days.
leopoldo_p76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 06:11 AM   #27
ScottB

I've got a couple of pictures I've taken, but the install isn't done yet. I've never done the picture attachment thing, so here goes...

-ScottB
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dashcutup.JPG
Views:	618
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	92452   Click image for larger version

Name:	protoframedbldin.JPG
Views:	527
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	92453  
ScottB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 07:36 AM   #28
nleeumd

My Ride: BMW 330Ci, 991s
Send a message via AIM to nleeumd
hmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottB
I've got a couple of pictures I've taken, but the install isn't done yet. I've never done the picture attachment thing, so here goes...

-ScottB
I assume you have to cover that cut out back up? And where do u get the face plate fabricated?
'01 BMW 330Ci | PP/CWP/SP/XE/KVT-915DVD | M3 Lip Spoiler | M3 Strut Bar | Jim Conforti Intake | UUC Sway Bars | Philips Ultinon 6000k HID Upgrade | Philips Ultinon 6000k HID Foglights | JL Audio Stealth Box | Clears All Around | 18" ASA AR1's | LED Tails | Rearview Keyhole Camera
nleeumd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 09:07 AM   #29
leopoldo_p76

My Ride: e46 320cd
The way you cover the back is with anything from a metal plate to a fiberglass plate. The reason why you have to cover it is because all the air of the venting system passes through there. About the face plate, unfortunately you have to make one yourself either out of fiberglass or out of carbon fiber. i made mine out of fiberglass and covered it with nappa leather which is very smooth and looks like the plastic of the other dash components.
ScottB what did you make yours out of?
leopoldo_p76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 09:49 AM   #30
abefroman

Thanks ScootB, any more pictures/instructions would be awesome...can't wait to see it finished
abefroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 12:22 PM   #31
ScottB

Quote:
I assume you have to cover that cut out back up? And where do u get the face plate fabricated?
The guy doing the install is going to reroute the air flow above and behind the double din unit so the volume of airflow is unchanged. The route will be sealed. The faceplate is and install work is being done by Tweeter.

Quote:
ScottB what did you make yours out of?
I didn't make the plate, the great installer at Tweeter did. I am unsure of what material was used but will check. I think it may be wood. (!)

They're hoping to get the majority done by tomorrow. They're installing:
MB Quart PCE 213's in the front
Kenwood DDX7015 head unit
Kenwood Sirius radio & antenna
Kenwood KNADV4100 Navigation and antenna
JL Audio 300/4 amp
JL Audio 500/1 amp
15 Farad capacitor
JL Audio stealthboxes
PAC SWI-X

The stealthboxes and SWI-X are supposed to arrive Monday, so that install will happen then. Everything else should be in by Saturday. For the most part, the equipment list was determined by reading posts from many people here.

I'm kinda excited.

ScottB.
Old 09-18-2004, 12:58 AM   #32
AL325CI

My Ride: 325CI
Good place to take it

Quote:
The guy doing the install is going to reroute the air flow above and behind the double din unit so the volume of airflow is unchanged. The route will be sealed. The faceplate is and install work is being done by Tweeter.

I didn't make the plate, the great installer at Tweeter did. I am unsure of what material was used but will check. I think it may be wood. (!)

They're hoping to get the majority done by tomorrow. They're installing:
MB Quart PCE 213's in the front
Kenwood DDX7015 head unit
Kenwood Sirius radio & antenna
Kenwood KNADV4100 Navigation and antenna
JL Audio 300/4 amp
JL Audio 500/1 amp
15 Farad capacitor
JL Audio stealthboxes
PAC SWI-X

The stealthboxes and SWI-X are supposed to arrive Monday, so that install will happen then. Everything else should be in by Saturday. For the most part, the equipment list was determined by reading posts from many people here.

I'm kinda excited.

ScottB.
Thats a fantastic place to take your car to. They guarantee their work and stand behind the company name. I'm doing the same set up as you, and it's also being done at Tweeter. Only difference is that I am doing it my self cause I work there. What ever that installer is doing, is not I repeat IS NOT an easy job. My car's been kicking my @$$, I just wish I had a full day to work on it. Don't worry about your car, I can guarantee it will turn out awesome.
AL325CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 01:27 PM   #33
indieZHP

My Ride: e90 330i 6MT
Send a message via AIM to indieZHP
This is a sweet setup.
Some others have done it to.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...t=kenwood+navi
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...kenwood+double
Old 09-19-2004, 09:55 PM   #34
ScottB

Yeah, the guys at my Tweeter (Huntsville, AL) are great. Here's a picture of the installed head unit. I'm still waiting on some pieces to come in, but the "hard" part is done. They've done a great job, and would recommend them to anyone.

I took other pictures, but they were all pretty bad. I'll wait until I get some better lighting.

BTW, the screen that's showing is the reason I didn't bother with MusicKeg/Phatnoise. The DDX7015 will play MP3s/WMAs off DVD's! Sure, it's 4.7GB compared to 10 or 20GB, but I can live with that .

ScottB
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ddx7015installed3.jpg
Views:	481
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	92728  

Last edited by ScottB; 09-19-2004 at 10:00 PM.
Old 09-20-2004, 10:56 AM   #35
AceDaKing
Chilly Willy

My Ride: 2013 M5, 10 M6,08 M5
Send a message via AIM to AceDaKing Send a message via Yahoo to AceDaKing
Quote:

BTW, the screen that's showing is the reason I didn't bother with MusicKeg/Phatnoise. The DDX7015 will play MP3s/WMAs off DVD's! Sure, it's 4.7GB compared to 10 or 20GB, but I can live with that .

ScottB
what?? sorry for the newb question but i have the same unit.. it plays mp3's? off cd's or is there a hard drive in there or something..and wats a wma?
Old 09-20-2004, 02:27 PM   #36
ScottB

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceDaKing
what?? sorry for the newb question but i have the same unit.. it plays mp3's? off cd's or is there a hard drive in there or something..and wats a wma?
It will play MP3 or WMA files off of burned CDs or DVDs. WMA files are a competing compressed audio format from Microsoft, similar to MP3.

ScottB
Old 09-22-2004, 12:10 AM   #37
Dr Jekyll
Alpine White

So I have one question, there are no issues with decreased airflow from the A/C vents, or anything like that? Or does the A/C make any whistling noises because of that cutout?
Old 09-22-2004, 06:53 AM   #38
ScottB

I've been driving it around for the past few days. I've noticed no airflow changes at all, and the AC seems like it's behaving the same as before. I was really concerned about this as well.

I've also run the fan at full, hit the defrost button & changed the airflow to the footwells only. It all appears to work as before. If there's a problem then I've yet to find it.

That doesn't mean that the procedure is easy; the installer who did mine was very careful not to cut into or obstruct any of the moving parts within the vent.

Hope this helps!
ScottB
Old 09-22-2004, 10:21 AM   #39
Dr Jekyll
Alpine White

Thanks for the info Scott.
Old 09-23-2004, 07:56 PM   #40
gesir1982

My Ride: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam001
yes it fits. it's been done. no need to modify anything. just need to build the dash kit.

Who did the custom trim work for you
gesir1982 is offline   Reply With Quote