E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-03-2004, 05:00 PM   #1
cgrizzly888

My Ride: 00 328i
Send a message via AIM to cgrizzly888
03 325i engine shaking violently

My friend purchased a cpo 03 325i 3 weeks ago with 10k miles. Today he tells me that his car is shaking violently and as he accelerates the shaking gets worse. He restarted later in the evening and the problem didn't go away. It was so bad, he had to get it towed. The tow truck guy said terrible things about bmw's. He had towed 4 bmw's before my friends and how they are not cold weather cars, etc. His refine engine now sounds like an old willy jeep. What could be the problem?
cgrizzly888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-03-2004, 06:36 PM   #2
cgrizzly888

anyone?
Old 02-03-2004, 06:45 PM   #3
Keith Billanti

My Ride: TitanSilber//M3
sounds like a faulty harmonic balancer...
Keith Billanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 06:48 PM   #4
cgrizzly888

Thanks for the reply. How does the harmonic balancer go out of whack? Is that a quick fix? I'm wondering if my friend possibly did a money shift bending the valves as this is his first stick car.

Last edited by cgrizzly888; 02-03-2004 at 06:59 PM.
Old 02-03-2004, 06:51 PM   #5
tim330i
Owner/Admin

My Ride: 03 Ti Silver M3
Sounds like a bad coil pack to me
tim330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 07:16 PM   #6
Keith Billanti

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim330i
Sounds like a bad coil pack to me

coil pack wouldnt make the car shake or vibrate.... it would feel like it is missing... and usually, if they do go bad,,,the engine wont fire at all.

Bent valve... Na... woulnt cause the engine to vibrate... would probably make a lot of noise though.. if it was bent bad enough it would be smackin the piston... making a clink-clink-clink sound... and VERY poor idle.. backfire...ect... besides.. he shouldnt be able to bend anything with the rev limmiter and all..

Got to be the balancer, or the crank itself. It is somthing in the bottom end that is out of balance. He should get it fixed immediately regardless... it probably has allready fudged up some of the main bearings...

I had a friend who had a bad one in a 5liter mustang... it was horrendous.

KB
Old 02-03-2004, 07:24 PM   #7
cgrizzly888

The car is at the dealer now. I hope it's a simple fix. His cpo 325i may be a lemon. The dsc button didn't work, the car wouldn't start one morning, and now car shakes and sounds like a truck.
Old 02-03-2004, 07:30 PM   #8
tim330i
Owner/Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Billanti
coil pack wouldnt make the car shake or vibrate.... it would feel like it is missing... and usually, if they do go bad,,,the engine wont fire at all.

Bent valve... Na... woulnt cause the engine to vibrate... would probably make a lot of noise though.. if it was bent bad enough it would be smackin the piston... making a clink-clink-clink sound... and VERY poor idle.. backfire...ect... besides.. he shouldnt be able to bend anything with the rev limmiter and all..

Got to be the balancer, or the crank itself. It is somthing in the bottom end that is out of balance. He should get it fixed immediately regardless... it probably has allready fudged up some of the main bearings...

I had a friend who had a bad one in a 5liter mustang... it was horrendous.

KB
Actually if you read some of the threads most people with bad coil packs noticed because the car was vibrating. Search on coil pack if you don't believe me. Also a single bad pack isn't going to keep the car from starting.

Additionally you can still bend valves with a mechanical over rev and that would cause the engine to run like crap as well.

My vote still goes for the coil pack, a fair number of people have had then go bad.
Old 02-03-2004, 07:40 PM   #9
HW323ci

My Ride: 323ci manual
why would an inline6 need a harmonic balancer? the inline6 is one of the engine configs that is harmonically balanced in all directions. the only other is a V12.

i'm bored as hell!
HW323ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 10:06 PM   #10
Keith Billanti

Quote:
Originally Posted by HW323ci
why would an inline6 need a harmonic balancer? the inline6 is one of the engine configs that is harmonically balanced in all directions. the only other is a V12.

hey... it was just a guess.... the only engine I have ever heard of not using a balancer was a porsche boxer... only because the precision that went into the engine allowed this.. plus the pistons pulling at opposite sides, opposed to a "V" or in our case.. from one side...

I dont work for BMW... i just drive'um...

Coil pack.. still not goin' for it. If that is the probelm.. i would be SUPER surprised... Now.. I have owned my car for rougly 4 months. All crap weather, so i dont have too much experience under this hood. BUT, every other car I have owned, that had a coil pack.. had the same style pack.. (one piece unit) There was no "half bad",, or this cylinder isnt firing.. it was either functional.. or BAD...

EVEN, if it was the case.. it wouldnt cause a vibration.. it would cause a miss.... which, would make it sound like an old VW beetle.. and run like crap...

Bent valve: This is a DOHC engine.... (again, very little knowledge so bear with me).. but these engines are suited for RPM more so than a pushrod engine. They have a timing belt or chain.. and unless the the valve timing (duration) is that close... the valves should never be ANYwhere near the piston. ESPECIALLY on a car that clearly is not optimised for HP.. (whoppin 184)

I could see if you had a car with high miles.. in that case.. the timing belt, or chain could have been past its prime.. (stretched) and could not be performing properly. Or maybe a bad valve spring.. or maybe jsut needs a relashing' But on an engine rated to only 184hp.. and 10k on the clock...I seriously doubt it. Maybe on a 90k mile M3. they have MUCH more agressive cams.. which means they are open longer/ through more of the stroke and probably have another .25" of lift.... if the belt/chain is not up to snuff.. that could reak havok on the valvetrane.

this is all opinon.. based on my many years of working on and drag racing stangs... NOT on any knowledge of the 2.5 liter strait 6. I would put this opinion against just about anyones on coil packs. I have been wrong!!! but.. only once... (jk)

please.. keep us informed!!

Keith

Last edited by Keith Billanti; 02-03-2004 at 10:08 PM.
Old 02-03-2004, 10:17 PM   #11
tim330i
Owner/Admin

HW323ci is correct an I6 does not need a balancing shaft. There is however a harmonic damper on the front of the crank (belt side). I6, V12 and boxer engines do not need balancing shafts, it has nothing to do with how they are put together

The E46 and most modern cars have one coil pack per cylinder. They can be seen here:

http://performanceix.com/howto/images/44/02.jpg

There are many reports of one or two going bad an causing vibration. An occasional miss is totally different from one cylinder not firing all the time. If you don't believe me go disconnect a coil pack.

A valve can get bent if you "money shift". Basically you put the car in the wrong gear (for us manual drivers only, no risk in an auto) and mechanical force the engine to fast causing valve spring float which puts the valve in the way of the piston. More details on this can be found by searching here and google so I will not go into it.

We will have to wait and see.

Tim
Old 02-03-2004, 10:25 PM   #12
Keith Billanti

Quote:
HW323ci is correct an I6 does not need a balancing shaft. There is however a harmonic damper on the front of the crank (belt side). I6, V12 and boxer engines do not need balancing shafts, it has nothing to do with how they are put together

The E46 and most modern cars have one coil pack per cylinder. They can be seen here:

http://performanceix.com/howto/images/44/02.jpg

There are many reports of one or two going bad an causing vibration. An occasional miss is totally different from one cylinder not firing all the time. If you don't believe me go disconnect a coil pack.

A valve can get bent if you "money shift". Basically you put the car in the wrong gear (for us manual drivers only, no risk in an auto) and mechanical force the engine to fast causing valve spring float which puts the valve in the way of the piston. More details on this can be found by searching here and google so I will not go into it.

We will have to wait and see.

Tim

What in the hell is an balancing shaft??? (hehe) I am talking about the "dampner".. Fluiddamper makes hi end ones.... its a harmonic balancer....

to clarify... on the crank.. their *should be a large, heavy round thing.. (lol).. the crank (or bottom) pully will bolt to the center of this.... it usually has timing marks on it... you point a timing light at it...

uhhh its called a harmonic balancer... and the only engines I have ever heard of not needing one.. is the boxxer engine.. BECAUSE of the piston arrangement.. pistons pulling from OPPOSITE sides... offsetting any imbalance.. and becasue porsche takes the time to blueprint their cranks so that they are perfect... or as near as possible-

in that link (pic),, where are you seeing the coilpack? I see the top of the cylinder head.. and plug boots... but under those boots are PLUGS.. not a coilpack... A coild pack,, will usually have all 6 plug boots in a 2x2x2 arrangement.. generally looks like a box.. about 3"x8" ish;...

keith

Last edited by Keith Billanti; 02-03-2004 at 10:32 PM.
Old 02-03-2004, 10:36 PM   #13
Keith Billanti

WAIT--- Are you looking at the tiney little yellow things... wow.... that is neatO

I have never seen such a setup...

live and learn
Old 02-03-2004, 10:37 PM   #14
tim330i
Owner/Admin

There is a harmonic dampener on the end of the crank, i don't see how it could "go bad" but it is there.

Those are the coil packs, I really know what I am talking about, really. They are built into the plug boot.

if you still don't believe me I will have to resort to pictures from the bentley manual or BMW ETK.

Tim
Old 02-03-2004, 10:43 PM   #15
tim330i
Owner/Admin

Here is some info on balancer shafts for anyone that cares...good read

http://autozine.kyul.net/technical_s...ne/smooth1.htm
Old 02-03-2004, 10:44 PM   #16
Keith Billanti

Quote:
There is a harmonic dampener on the end of the crank, i don't see how it could "go bad" but it is there.

Those are the coil packs, I really know what I am talking about, really. They are built into the plug boot.

if you still don't believe me I will have to resort to pictures from the bentley manual or BMW ETK.

Tim

Tim:

I belive you... I just have never seen such a setup.. as I have said ALL along,,, I have very little BMW experience. I learn somthin new everyday...

I dont agree that it is a bad coil causing the "VIOLENT" vibration. I could see a description like.. runs like crap... or sounds terrible,,, slight vibration... But VIOLENT... says rotating mass defect.

Although It is tough to immagine a bad balancer.. it does happen. My friends car had a crack in his.. and the whole car shook like crazy. It was weird and hard to believe.. but sure enough.

KB
Old 02-03-2004, 10:51 PM   #17
Keith Billanti

Wow.. thats some good reading...

I have never heard of a blancer shaft... MOOStangs dont have them... I wonder did my old civic?....

keith
Old 02-04-2004, 12:25 AM   #18
BobbyBimmer

My Ride: 2003 325i
I had a coil pak go and the engine shook violently and felt like it was coming apart. When they replaced it under warranty I bought an extra coil pak that I carry in the trunk just in case it happens again.
BobbyBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 09:22 PM   #19
tim330i
Owner/Admin

any updates?
Old 02-04-2004, 11:15 PM   #20
cgrizzly888

The car has been sitting in the dealership for the past 2 days. They are too busy to get around to it. I'll keep you guys updated when my friend lets me know what went wrong.