E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 47 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-02-2004, 03:44 PM   #41
nospam

My Ride: 323i - AA S'charged
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbriedis
Nice writeup!

I did experience a problem with these bushings under hard driving. The inner sleeve actually pushed up the control arm a bit under load and stayed up there. The result was that the inner sleeve was no longer seated properly in the delrin outer portion. Not sure how to solve it. I may make some sort of clamp that can prevent this from happening.

-Jason
I too experienced a problem. Brett at KMS had warned me about these bushings. I too drive aggressively. Doing autocross style weaving side to side I could hear and feel the bushings sliding up and down the control arms. I have replaced the powerflex with the OEMs.

After examining design of the OEM bushings...I see why he has such low regard for these powerflex. The powerflex are harder and will not wear like the factory...but they rotate and slide within the carrier and themselves, and the control arm slides within the bushing. These probably are fine for highway driving....but did not feel safe with the driving I do. I will just have to stick with these OEMs and replace every few thousand miles until there is a better replacement.

PM me if you are interested in purchasing the powerflex, already in the carriers so you don't have to worry about pressing out the old ones.
nospam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 06:50 PM   #42
tim330i
Owner/Admin

My Ride: 03 Ti Silver M3
I don't know what you are talking about. Bimmerworld runs these on their E46 world challenge cars.

Brett knows his stuff but so does bimmerworld.

Tim
tim330i is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 05:25 PM   #43
nospam

All I'm trying to convey is that these are not simply upgrades with no downsides.

The design is quite different than the factory bushing, poly vs rubber nonwithstanding. The fact that the inner sleave rotates freely within the outer sleeve is probably what makes the powerflex last so long (this retriction is likely what makes the factory bushing fail in such a short time). The fact that the outer sleeve is not in a metal carrier (like many poly bushings), and that the bushing did not require pressing onto the control arm is what really worried me.

No doubt these bushings will definitely save you money in the long run. This is still a great tweak...just not perfect.

YMMV

Last edited by nospam; 06-03-2004 at 05:41 PM.
Old 06-03-2004, 05:34 PM   #44
tim330i
Owner/Admin

I guess I would still have to disagree. Having one of the first sets of bushings from bimmerworld installed in my car for near 6 months now my real world experiance is what I am going based on. I drive my car hard and on less than idea roads with no issues as of yet.

Tim
Old 06-03-2004, 05:43 PM   #45
nospam

Tim, what are your feelings about the design differences of the bushings? Sorry about the edit above.
Old 06-03-2004, 06:12 PM   #46
tim330i
Owner/Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by nospam
Tim, what are your feelings about the design differences of the bushings? Sorry about the edit above.
For the positives of the power flex bushings you covered why their design seems good. As for the down sides I simply don't see them. What does it matter if the outer sleeve isn't metal, the carrier is. I also don't see what the difference is if they are pushed in or not. The design of the out portion is such that it is very difficult to remove once in place and I do not see it coming out while driving.

I guess the things that they eliminated I do not feel were needed but was the way that the factory designed them to take into account the oil filled center section of the stock bushings.

Tim
Old 06-03-2004, 07:59 PM   #47
nospam

Jason posted the real world possibility regarding one of the negatives of this bushing design. I did not experience this...only feared it. I just feel better safe than sorry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbriedis
I did experience a problem with these bushings under hard driving. The inner sleeve actually pushed up the control arm a bit under load and stayed up there. The result was that the inner sleeve was no longer seated properly in the delrin outer portion. Not sure how to solve it. I may make some sort of clamp that can prevent this from happening.
See http://www.bmwbushings.com/ for examples of some better urethane bushings with metal sleeves. Hopefully, there will be an e46 solution soon.
Old 06-03-2004, 08:14 PM   #48
nospam

Still searching...here is possibly another alternative, http://www.bimmerperformance.com/sus.shtml
Old 06-04-2004, 01:09 AM   #49
tim330i
Owner/Admin

Quote:
Still searching...here is possibly another alternative, http://www.bimmerperformance.com/sus.shtml
think those are for the front and rear control arm, not the front control arm.

Tim
Old 06-04-2004, 12:29 PM   #50
CtrlAltDel
www.piratecove.org

My Ride: 2007 335i Coupe
Send a message via ICQ to CtrlAltDel Send a message via AIM to CtrlAltDel
Any other ideas on how to get the stock bushings off the control arm, other than a dremel? I mean they are on there pretty good...that appears the only/best way to go about it.
Old 06-04-2004, 12:46 PM   #51
teamdfl
Slow in, slower out

My Ride: 325it
Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlAltDel
Any other ideas on how to get the stock bushings off the control arm, other than a dremel? I mean they are on there pretty good...that appears the only/best way to go about it.

A straight threaded rod puller (aka "push puller") and bearing separator work well:

http://www.teamdfl.com/events/dflfest_2/

My Track Schedule

The solution to the lack of headroom in the X6

teamdfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 04:40 PM   #52
nospam

Quote:
See http://www.bmwbushings.com/ for examples of some better urethane bushings with metal sleeves. Hopefully, there will be an e46 solution soon.
Good news, bmwbushings.com's E46 solution should be ready in about two months. I have been talking with a few different tuners, its seems only Bimmerworld are fans of the powerflex bushings. I'll post more info on bmwbushing's solution soon.
Old 06-04-2004, 07:37 PM   #53
tim330i
Owner/Admin

Quote:
Good news, bmwbushings.com's E46 solution should be ready in about two months. I have been talking with a few different tuners, its seems only Bimmerworld are fans of the powerflex bushings. I'll post more info on bmwbushing's solution soon.
Sounds interesting, looking forward to seeing what they come out with.

Tim
Old 06-05-2004, 03:29 AM   #54
IanUK

My Ride: 99 328ci se
Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlAltDel
I did'nt have the puller so used a small angle grinder to GENTLY cut through the inner section, then split it, but it's kinda awkward in such a confined space.

Another downside of the Powerflex bushes is that the grease will be washed or dry out and they may squeek or begin to wear
IanUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 11:35 AM   #55
bonsai

My Ride: 328i
Send a message via ICQ to bonsai Send a message via AIM to bonsai
ok, im about to do this. i am still a bit apprehensive about getting the sleeve out of the carriers, as i do not have an angle grinder. wish me luck!

btw, can i rent a jack, like the one tim has in his pic, from autozone? i have no tools so i need to rent all of them, will autozone have what i need?
bonsai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 01:42 PM   #56
norejr34

My Ride: 2003 330ci
I actually had this done today by a shop for 128 dollars which I thought wasn't unreasonable. If you can explain to them exactly what you want them to do, I am sure that you can get a shop to do them also. All I did was take the urethane bushings there and explain, they proceeded to do the rest. I was going to do the DIY but also had regrets about getting the sleeve out so I saved the headache and stress. No more steering wheel vibration and no more clunking. Thanks for the DIY Tim, wouldn't have been able to get them to do it without your post

By the way Autozone around me does not rent out jacks.
norejr34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 01:26 PM   #57
ExoByte

My Ride: 1999 Black 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by gokcer
Or you can just buy the kit with Bushings & Brackets for $99

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html...ID=31126757623
I have a '99 328i. Does anyone know if I would have to upgrade my control arms (if I have the original ones) with the 66 mm bushings?
ExoByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 02:48 PM   #58
ExoByte

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExoByte
I have a '99 328i. Does anyone know if I would have to upgrade my control arms (if I have the original ones) with the 66 mm bushings?
What I mean is, will the replacement OEM 66 mm bushings and carriers fit on a car that has the 60 mm bushings and pre-0101 control arms?
Old 09-01-2004, 01:14 PM   #59
ExoByte

Quote:
What I mean is, will the replacement OEM 66 mm bushings and carriers fit on a car that has the 60 mm bushings and pre-0101 control arms?
Bump. Certainly someone knows the answer to this.

Also, www.bmwbushings.com's bushings should be available in about two weeks pending testing results.
Old 09-01-2004, 11:03 PM   #60
K-Man

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
I am in the same boat...the 66mm will fit in place of the 60mm!! I just ordered mine from the dealer! BMW part number 31126757623

Trieberg?? Just did this and he said that it was a fairly easy job! Make sure to follow Tim330i's procedure for torque specifications on the cross bars and carrier to body.
K-Man is offline   Reply With Quote