E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 77 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-16-2006, 08:23 PM   #81
Twright

My Ride: 1989 325ic, 1999 328
Grind them out.

I didn't use a press to remove the steel sleeves from the housings. I ground out the steel sleeves with a die grinder. ( Just cut a slot the whole length. The sleeve just falls out then.)

Cutting a slot took about 20 minutes on the first housing and 5 minutes for the second. (Be carefull to not grind through the aluminum housing.)

You could probably use a hacksaw to do the same thing.
Twright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 06:57 PM   #82
Rdizzle

My Ride: '00 328Ci
I know a damaged control arm bushings will cause your car to shake while braking but I have a different issue. When going highway speeds (60-65 mph) my steering wheel will sometimes sway left, then sway right, then sway left again! It's nice and straight when I'm going slow though...this only happens at highway speeds.

Could this be caused by bad CA bushings as well?
Rdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 11:21 PM   #83
tim330i
Owner/Admin

My Ride: 03 Ti Silver M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdizzle
I know a damaged control arm bushings will cause your car to shake while braking but I have a different issue. When going highway speeds (60-65 mph) my steering wheel will sometimes sway left, then sway right, then sway left again! It's nice and straight when I'm going slow though...this only happens at highway speeds.

Could this be caused by bad CA bushings as well?
Sure, or it could the control arm ball joints, or just be tire tramlining.
tim330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 03:28 AM   #84
vaio76109

My Ride: Race Cars
I just realized how different the front of the coupes are from the sedans.

I beleive I can change these out without even undoing the underbody panel/aluminum skid plate with a wrench.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	under car.jpg
Views:	1293
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	162486  
vaio76109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 04:07 AM   #85
BMWintoxication
Taiwan/Vancouver/Shanghai

My Ride: Jet Black02' 325ci
Send a message via AIM to BMWintoxication Send a message via MSN to BMWintoxication

Orz
BMWintoxication is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 12:46 PM   #86
davidwarren
Halfway to 2L

My Ride: 2010 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaio76109

I beleive I can change these out without even undoing the underbody panel/aluminum skid plate with a wrench.
actually, that is just what mine looks like, I have the Al plate, not the crossmember brace.

You down with UCC? Ya you know me!
sowing the seeds of jiggery pokery
davidwarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 12:50 PM   #87
Elefant
Banned

My Ride: and hes hairy too
Quote:

no you cant, you have to remove the plate. and it is so annoying to remove because the holes are recessed inside of there. Prop a floorjack underneath the plate with some pressure, so when you start unbolting the weight does not rest one one side .And def remove the wheels i didnt, but i had a much harder time.
Elefant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 11:51 PM   #88
dadysev

My Ride: 1999 323i
Send a message via MSN to dadysev
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twright
I didn't use a press to remove the steel sleeves from the housings. I ground out the steel sleeves with a die grinder. ( Just cut a slot the whole length. The sleeve just falls out then.)

Cutting a slot took about 20 minutes on the first housing and 5 minutes for the second. (Be carefull to not grind through the aluminum housing.)

You could probably use a hacksaw to do the same thing.
Too much work!!! I've changed about 3 sets on my sedan and I have reused them too! I just use a 5$ C-clamp and take my time. It comes off sooo easy! and just use some dishwashing liquid on the arm and the bushing slides right back on. The soap dries out eventually and it will stay in place.
dadysev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 07:36 PM   #89
nEVERCLEAR

My Ride: 323
Mine have about 5000 miles on them and I want to change the control arms. What is the chance they are re-useable? I put some napa silicone goop (Window sill stuff)to get them on so hopefully the will slide right off.

Some people dream of speed-others create a damn jet powered shopping cart.
Curious about VoIP and Vonage click here
nEVERCLEAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 10:45 PM   #90
dadysev

My Ride: 1999 323i
Send a message via MSN to dadysev
Talked to the guy at bimmerworld today. I had a few questions for them, and found out they are very helpful. Gonna be ordering my set of arms and bushings next week!! Can't wait to get rid of all the clunking and restore my E46 front end to new!!!
dadysev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 02:01 PM   #91
jai_c

My Ride: 2001 325ci
I bought the bushings from Powerflex but my mechanic refuses to put them in bcause he says theres nothing to hold the bushings in like there is in the oem ones. is that true. I seriously thinking about doin it myself
jai_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 04:57 PM   #92
nEVERCLEAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jai_c
I bought the bushings from Powerflex but my mechanic refuses to put them in bcause he says theres nothing to hold the bushings in like there is in the oem ones. is that true. I seriously thinking about doin it myself
You need a new mechanic.

Old 02-18-2006, 07:59 PM   #93
darkmanlfe

My Ride: rocket propelled 323
Send a message via AIM to darkmanlfe
Quote:
Originally Posted by jai_c
tell him - that is why you reuse the OEM carrier for the powerflexes bushing
some people just dont know until you point it out and then they can do the work.
Old 02-20-2006, 05:13 PM   #94
vaio76109

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim330i
I again used the ball joint press and pressed in the power flex bushings. I took the purple inner section of the bushing out while pressing it in. It was a two step process to press the bushings in. The first time I could not use the spacer sleeve that comes with the press because there was not room.

30. With the bushing pressed in half way I added the sleeve so that the bushing could properly seat on both sides of the carrier.

This part is a PITA, especialy without a ball joint press. Currently where I'm stuck.
Old 02-20-2006, 05:22 PM   #95
tblue3cibm

My Ride: allroad / Hayabusa
Old 02-21-2006, 02:51 AM   #96
vaio76109

Quote:
This part is a PITA, especialy without a ball joint press. Currently where I'm stuck.
I rented a ball joint press and it worked like a charm.
Old 03-18-2006, 02:43 PM   #97
DK00328i

My Ride: 2000 328i/2002 325Ci
I performed the CAB replacement this morning outside in Boston. It was pretty damn cold out while working at the old bushings. I used a 2 Jaw puller: first pulling the housing off and then pulling the inner bushing. I did the driver side first and had a lot of trouble getting the inner bushing to slide off. At one point I thought I was going to need to call a wrecker to take the car to a real mechanic. After learning the best technique, the passenger side took less than fifteen minutes.

I used pre-pressed 66MM OEM bushings from Turner Motorsport. Make sure to use plenty of Dawn dish detergent as a lubricant. It works perfectly and should make it easy enough to push the bushings on by hand. I had a rubber mallet handy but didn't really need it. I also replaced the bolts and tightened to the torque specs listed in this thread.

I'd like thank everyone on this sight who has contributed to the DIY section. Without it, I wouldn't have even been able to diagnose the problem let alone fix it.

Last edited by DK00328i; 03-18-2006 at 03:32 PM.
DK00328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 03:22 PM   #98
vert

My Ride: MINI Cooper Hatch
Send a message via AIM to vert
Somebody asked this before but never got an answer. Why do you need to take the wheels off? Also - you were not scared to get under the front end supported only by jack stands?
vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 03:39 PM   #99
nEVERCLEAR

Jack stands are pretty safe. A jack is unsafe as it is held in place by hydraulic pressure which can give way. A jack stand is is safe as the car's weight locks in the mechanism on the jack stand.

It is a good idea to use a block of wood or to put the tires under the car so that if the car is hit or bumped it will land on something solid instead of your head or legs.

There is no way to eliminate disaster,but jack stands and some other solid object like a tire and rim will eliminate most of the risk.

If it's your time it's your time to go...

Old 03-30-2006, 04:51 PM   #100
vert

My Ride: MINI Cooper Hatch
Send a message via AIM to vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by nEVERCLEAR
Jack stands are pretty safe. A jack is unsafe as it is held in place by hydraulic pressure which can give way. A jack stand is is safe as the car's weight locks in the mechanism on the jack stand.

It is a good idea to use a block of wood or to put the tires under the car so that if the car is hit or bumped it will land on something solid instead of your head or legs.

There is no way to eliminate disaster,but jack stands and some other solid object like a tire and rim will eliminate most of the risk.

If it's your time it's your time to go...
Makes sense - now why do you need to take the wheels off when installing the new bushings?
vert is offline   Reply With Quote