E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-16-2014, 02:24 PM   #1
phoopsta

My Ride: 02 330xi 3-pedal
I think my Center Support bearing just took a crap..

Well I think the time has come. The vibration at around 2-3k RPM second and third gear under load. Sounds like its time for a guibo disk and CSB replacement. Tho, while in the driveline, do you guys know of something else I could replace for future preventative? Also, I am a pretty busy guy and not nessesarly mechanically inclined. I mean Ive done my own ofhg and cooling system rebuild but nothing much under the car except the fuel filter and o2 sensors.

Would it be worth just having my BMW mechanic @ a indy shop do the job? Is it a very timely job?

I have been reading this http://www.turnermotorsport.com/BMW-...-bearings.aspx

Sounds like about $150 in parts but I would not enjoy a $1,000 labor charge.

phoopsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-16-2014, 02:34 PM   #2
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
It's not a difficult job to do at home. You will need an exhaust manifold gasket (Item 6 -- 2 each) for the seam between the end of the manifold and the exhaust pipe, and of course you need the center support.

If you get, I think, Item 8, it will be the entire support with the bearing included.

You have to drop the exhaust and the heat shield to get to the drive shaft. You will want to mark the places where the drive shaft connects so that you put the joints together the same way they came apart, and there is a slip joint in the middle that you absolutely want to get put together right else you will set up problems for the U-joints. All of the joints in the drive shaft are oriented in a particular way, you want to put a mark at each location where two sections are attached so that the orientation remains the same. This is a critical step, but it's easy to keep it straight, and easy to not keep it straight. When you are putting the drive shaft back in, you will want to push the center support as far as possible toward the transmission. (The mounting holes are slotted.)

You would be smart to replace the flex disc, Item 1, also. The disc goes in a certain way, look for the arrows and point them to the front of the car.

Last edited by jdstrickland; 05-16-2014 at 02:42 PM.
jdstrickland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 02:36 PM   #3
phoopsta

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdstrickland View Post
It's not a difficult job to do at home. You will need an exhaust manifold gasket (Item 6 -- 2 each) for the seam between the end of the manifold and the exhaust pipe, and of course you need the center support.

If you get, I think, Item 8, it will be the entire support with the bearing included.
Oh Im sure I could remove the muffler and everything, Im thinking more when I get to the driveline. I have a bently manual to help me out, But I wonder if I have to take the drive-line to a shop for them to pull the bearing off. It just seems like a lengthy job which Its hard to find time for. I think I will go get some quotes.

Old 05-16-2014, 02:43 PM   #4
phoopsta

My god $625 for a resonator..?

Old 05-16-2014, 02:45 PM   #5
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoopsta View Post
Oh Im sure I could remove the muffler and everything, Im thinking more when I get to the driveline. I have a bently manual to help me out, But I wonder if I have to take the drive-line to a shop for them to pull the bearing off. It just seems like a lengthy job which Its hard to find time for. I think I will go get some quotes.
I did the center support on my daughter's car in a day. The bearing will fall off. You do not need to take it to a shop to be pressed, or anything. (I gave you pages for my kid's car, you should confirm the proper parts for your own car.)
jdstrickland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 02:54 PM   #6
phoopsta

Quote:
I did the center support on my daughter's car in a day. The bearing will fall off. You do not need to take it to a shop to be pressed, or anything. (I gave you pages for my kid's car, you should confirm the proper parts for your own car.)
Ok thanks man I will look into it. Appreciate your help.

Old 05-16-2014, 02:57 PM   #7
Knight

My Ride: German
Good time to tackle those trans mounts too.
Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 03:07 PM   #8
Boolala

My Ride: 2001 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoopsta View Post
Ok thanks man I will look into it. Appreciate your help.
Please let me know what you change and if it cures your vibration. I have the same issue--I think!
Old 05-16-2014, 03:09 PM   #9
phoopsta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boolala View Post
Please let me know what you change and if it cures your vibration. I have the same issue--I think!
Yeah it comes on slowly and for me is getting worse everytime I drive.

Old 05-16-2014, 03:12 PM   #10
Tangent_

My Ride: '01 330i
Keep in mind that very often the reason the CSB failed is because on of the u-joints in the driveshaft is seizing. Replacing the CSB will take care of the symptoms for now but you might be replacing the driveshaft with a rebuilt one in a few months anyway.
Old 05-16-2014, 03:47 PM   #11
phoopsta

Back when they did my clutch the flex did was badly damaged.. I heard worn disks can ruin a csb

Old 05-16-2014, 04:20 PM   #12
Benny Minn

My Ride: 2004 325xiT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangent_ View Post
Keep in mind that very often the reason the CSB failed is because on of the u-joints in the driveshaft is seizing. Replacing the CSB will take care of the symptoms for now but you might be replacing the driveshaft with a rebuilt one in a few months anyway.
I can back this up. If you want to go under there only once, consider getting a remanufactured driveshaft (which will come with a CSB). This is what I wound up doing after wasting money on separate components that didn't solve the problem. Considering how large and integral to the car this component is, the cost of a complete rebuilt is fairly reasonable.

Last edited by Benny Minn; 05-16-2014 at 04:23 PM.
Benny Minn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 04:46 PM   #13
white46

My Ride: e46 323ci
All I can say is have fun removing 4 exhaust bolts!
Old 05-16-2014, 04:50 PM   #14
Benny Minn

My Ride: 2004 325xiT
Quote:
Originally Posted by white46 View Post
LOL, yeah, and then there's those....

Though, technically, it's just the nuts.

Last edited by Benny Minn; 05-16-2014 at 04:52 PM.
Benny Minn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 07:04 PM   #15
JapanRot325ci

My Ride: '04 M54b25Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by white46 View Post
PB blaster should do the job
Old 05-17-2014, 12:04 AM   #16
rizwan1377

My Ride: 04 M56,LC 100,RX300
Send a message via AIM to rizwan1377 Send a message via MSN to rizwan1377 Send a message via Yahoo to rizwan1377
I have replaced the guibo twice already and the CSB only once. The 1st time i replaced both CSB & guibo, after 3 months car started to vibrate so i took it to my dad's shop. We took off the exhaust and got it inspected h found that the guibo was bad but the CSB was still good. So i only ordered the guibo & after 2 weeks when i took off the exhaust to do the job but saw the CSB was also toast. So i only replaced the Guibo because none of my parts store had the CSB in stock. Car drove perfectly fine but after 2 months it has started to vibrate a lot and makes tapping noises.
Moral of the story is that even if the CSB was shot it would not cause any vibrations or noises. Only bad Guibo can cause vibrations & noises.
I am really tired of doing this stupid job again & again so i am hoping to find a low mileage driveshaft or a rebuilt unit. It is not really worth replacing the guibo & CSB, if you want to make it right, do it the right way by replacing the driveshaft. I have learned my lesson, even though it didnt cost me a lot but i am tired of all this crap. Hope, it helps!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-17-2014, 12:55 AM   #17
Phrygian

My Ride: 2000 323i
I would say that the exhaust and driveshaft are fairly heavy. If you've never dealt with trying to handle those components by yourself, then it my be a bit challenging the first time around if you don't have some help.

Last edited by Phrygian; 05-17-2014 at 12:57 AM.
Phrygian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 07:49 AM   #18
addam03E46

My Ride: 2003 325i
If you have access to a lift and an impact wrench it makes this job soooo much easier fyi. Also have a three jaw puller handy. I had to use that on my csb even though it was bad it didn't simply slide of the shaft. And to press the new one back on a mallet and piece of pvc pipe slightly larger then the shaft are your friend!!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
addam03E46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 12:15 PM   #19
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
You would be smart to replace the flex disc, Item 1, also. The disc goes in a certain way, look for the arrows and point them to the front of the car.
actually the arrows point to the Flanges

OP I would do the CSB, the guibo (and trans mounts) while in there. if you have a manual and ever wanted to do a SSK or replace some of the slop in the shifter bearings now is a good time to access them too.

I know some people are suggesting to do a replacement driveshaft, but majority of people will never need to do all that.
also not sure if your model takes it but there is a little butyl tape for the CSB that if not present causes nvh, so don't forget it.