E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-18-2002, 12:18 PM   #1
ssabripo
Say hello to my lito fren

My Ride: 330ci RIP-->('04 X5)
Send a message via ICQ to ssabripo Send a message via AIM to ssabripo Send a message via Skype™ to ssabripo
Question ESS Supercharger owners:

I am looking into getting one, but I get conflicting reports on performance as well as impact of the car's engine (wear and tear, etc).

Could you guys post a quick comments on your experience so far....thanks

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-18-2002, 11:34 PM   #2
sweetbimmer

My Ride: X5 4.6 346hp & 330i
Heres mine..when you come up my way you can ck it out..
Old 04-19-2002, 06:57 AM   #3
NickACS
BOOM!

My Ride: TWC E46 ETCC WB
Wierd, I've heard of no problems with ESS units..Lots of people on here have them..
NickACS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2002, 07:47 AM   #4
ssabripo

Send a message via ICQ to ssabripo Send a message via AIM to ssabripo Send a message via Skype™ to ssabripo
Bernie....you are hilarious!!

YOu have a Supercharger?!??

Yeah RIGHT!!!!!!!!!

And I have a Tornado V-8 on mine!!
Old 04-19-2002, 09:07 AM   #5
travis
travisvocino.com

My Ride: Several...
Send a message via ICQ to travis Send a message via AIM to travis
the ESS supercharger isn't going to really hurt your car. they usually run very low boost with them, so it's not going to matter much. the 330's stock internals can't handle much boost so you're pretty limited..

it doesn't really offer much horsepower for the money anyway, but it is a very easy way to make more power fast.

btw, sweetbimmer posted DonDon's car
Old 04-19-2002, 10:33 AM   #6
Chupacabra

My Ride: 2000 BMW 323i
Hey that's my SC!

okay first of all SWEETBIMMER that is a pic of my supercharger, not yours. I didn't post pics of it for other people to say it's theirs. I know they can look the same, but there is particular things I did to mine that I can tell mine from others.

No to help out SSABRIPO. Here's my experience with ESS. It's a long story.

It started when I ordered my supercharger from ESS last January. I didnít receive it til July. I called them continuously asking whereís my kit, their reply was ďItís on itís wayĒ, but it wasnít. I kept asking for months because they had my $6,000 and I had nothing. I got tired of e-mailing them, took them 2-3 days to get back to me, most of the time they never replied, so I started calling log distance to Norway. Their response to that was ď Why canít you just wait.Ē ESS has the worst customer service that Iíve ever messed with. Their bastards I tell ya. Anyways, the kit finally came in at the end of July. Problems though. My main bracket was supposed to be polished, which I paid an extra $75 for, but it was Black (I had to get it polished myself which cost $100). Also, I was missing the new injectors. I called ESS about this, they said sorry about the main bracket and said the would refund me the money. They also said that the injectors would come back with the reprogrammed ECU. See you have to send your ECU to Sweden for reprogramming. So I send the ECU to Sweden which cost me $150. ESS says they send a FedEx box for you to send it in, but they donít. They also say that you get the ECU back within 3 days, nope, took 2 weeks to get it back, and guess what NO injectors. I called the guy in Sweden, he said the injectors come from ESS. So ESS told me another lie. I finally get the injectors 2 weeks after that from ESS. During all this time of waiting I was installing the supercharger myself at my house. The instructions SUCKed. They were missing so many parts to it. Good thing I knew the basics of installing a supercharger or my motor would be ****ed. Okay, after I finally got the injectors, I installed them and started the motor. I had 3 lights that came on and on of them was check engine. I drove the car anyways because that ws supposed to happen and go away after 100 miles. 200 miles later they were still on and during those 200 miles, the car sputtered and would not get above 50mph. Car ran like ****. I called ESS they said to take it to the dealership and get a dyanostic of the ECU done and they would refund me that money as well (that cost $100). Guess what my ECU was corrupt. ESS sent me another ECU (which took another week to get in), and then everything was okay, I thought. ESS asked me to send my bad ECU back to them and they would refund me the shipping, which cost another $150 to ship to Norway. ESS kept saying that they would refund me all that money and a year later, I still havenít received anything. I called them and they said they donít know what Iím talking about. So I was out around an extra $450 because of their mistakes. Iím not finished yet. Because of the shitty instructions I had on oil leak from the dipstick, I had to fix that. The car was running great til winter hit here in Houston. Evert other day those three lights would come on while I was driving and then I couldnít get above 50mph again. So I would have to pull over and restart the car and everything would be okay. Not a big problem, just annoying. Still havenít fixed that problem yet, but I have no problems right now since it summer now.

I hope this helps to change your mind of ESS. I don't like ESS and never will.
Chupacabra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2002, 10:47 AM   #7
jason330i
moderation in all things

My Ride: 2002 330i
yikes!

you sir, are a
jason330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2002, 12:07 PM   #8
Chupacabra

This is not your SC!

Quote:
Originally posted by sweetbimmer
Heres mine..when you come up my way you can ck it out..
I've listed things on how this is my SC and how it has a few personal touchs.
This is not Sweetbimer's SC, it's Chupacabra's!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	davessc.jpg
Views:	780
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	564  
Old 04-19-2002, 12:13 PM   #9
ssabripo

Angry Whoaw!

Dude, I am sorry about your ESS supercharger!

Thanks to you, I am scratching them off my wish list of MODS for my car I guess customer service is not an option for these idiots!

Anywho, Thanks so much for your thoughts...I will definitely NOT
Old 04-19-2002, 12:14 PM   #10
///ACS330Ci
Artist formerly k/a Steve

My Ride: ACS/M-Technik 330Ci
Send a message via ICQ to ///ACS330Ci Send a message via AIM to ///ACS330Ci
Quote:
Originally posted by travis
the ESS supercharger isn't going to really hurt your car. they usually run very low boost with them, so it's not going to matter much. the 330's stock internals can't handle much boost so you're pretty limited..

it doesn't really offer much horsepower for the money anyway, but it is a very easy way to make more power fast.

btw, sweetbimmer posted DonDon's car
You don't think an additional 100 hp is much to offer???
Old 04-19-2002, 12:26 PM   #11
///ACS330Ci

Re: Whoaw!

Quote:
Originally posted by ssabripo
Dude, I am sorry about your ESS supercharger!

Thanks to you, I am scratching them off my wish list of MODS for my car I guess customer service is not an option for these idiots!

Anywho, Thanks so much for your thoughts...I will definitely NOT
You might want to read this before you make up your mind - http://www.*************/pictures/ess/writeup_ess.html

[IMG]http://www.*************/pictures/ess/dscn1327.jpg[/IMG]
Old 04-19-2002, 12:40 PM   #12
koneng

My Ride: BMW 645ci
Better go with RMS if you live in LA, or Dinan Maybe. It is easier for us to keep in touch if there is problem with the car!

Good LUck!
koneng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2002, 12:56 PM   #13
Mr.Stream

My Ride: '07 BMW Z4C 3,0SI
Send a message via AIM to Mr.Stream Send a message via MSN to Mr.Stream
Chatted with the guy that has the 540 that is posted on the ESS sight. He is happy with his setup. He also had a 528 E39. Worked well on that too.

Hellrot '07 BMW Z4 Coupe 3,0SI
Sparkling Graphite '06 BMW 318i Touring
Mr.Stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2002, 01:32 PM   #14
Chupacabra

Re: Re: Whoaw!

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve

You might want to read this before you make up your mind - http://www.*************/pictures/ess/writeup_ess.html
Okay, yes DonDon has had no problems with his SC from ESS. But do you know why? A guy that works at ESS came down from Norway to install the SC for DonDon. Are they going to do that for everyone? I think NOT!
Old 04-19-2002, 01:34 PM   #15
Mr.Stream

My Ride: '07 BMW Z4C 3,0SI
Send a message via AIM to Mr.Stream Send a message via MSN to Mr.Stream
Hah!! im glad I live in Norway!
If I get a fatass job, I will have the SC this autumn. Or next year.

Hellrot '07 BMW Z4 Coupe 3,0SI
Sparkling Graphite '06 BMW 318i Touring
Mr.Stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2002, 02:03 PM   #16
ssabripo

I understand but....

I think DonDOn had an unreal deal with the guy from Norway coming down to install the thing!
Old 04-19-2002, 04:47 PM   #17
XeetBMW330ci
www.xeetstreetband.com

Location: Holland, MI - Osage Beach, MO - Rancho Palos Verdes, CA
My Ride: 2002 BMW 330Ci
Send a message via AIM to XeetBMW330ci
How much of a horsepower increase did you get from your ESS SC on the 330ci?
XeetBMW330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2002, 04:58 PM   #18
NickACS
BOOM!

Quote:
Originally posted by XeetBMW330ci
How much of a horsepower increase did you get from your ESS SC on the 330ci?
342Hp at the crank..according to ESS's website
Old 04-19-2002, 05:04 PM   #19
NickACS
BOOM!

I would not go with RMS unless you live by them...Sure they are in the US and they are installing E46 SC's right now, but they have no f-ing software for it!! Look at the thread over on DTMPower and Ta's car. He is constantly going in there every other day for touchups...Not worth it

There are a lot of happy ESS customers and know one that lives in my area and saw in person 2 weekends ago..His has been fine and no problems...

I don't think just because one person had a bad experience means that ruins it for everyone else...

But also Evosport/HIOP/Renntech are all coming out with their own E46 SC's this summer...I'm definitely going for one, but not RMS..no worth the hassle..
Old 04-20-2002, 03:03 AM   #20
///ACS330Ci

Re: Re: Re: Whoaw!

Quote:
Originally posted by Chupacabra

Okay, yes DonDon has had no problems with his SC from ESS. But do you know why? A guy that works at ESS came down from Norway to install the SC for DonDon. Are they going to do that for everyone? I think NOT!
True, but that wouldn't have anything to do with the software problems you say you've had. They still had to send the ECU of to get it reprogrammed. I was .5 away from ordering one in the group buy last month (lack of funds from buying all my ACS stuff was the only reason I didn't) and I sent DonDon several e-mails to ask about his ESS supercharger. He is still very happy with it and hasn't had any problems. I understand why you would be very unhappy since you've had all the problems you've had, but from everything I've read it still seems like ESS is the best option out there for now... they seem to be the only people who've sorted out the software. You're ECU problems are the first I've heard about. Maybe there is something else wrong that is causing the problem? ECU ground problem? Who knows, but it does sound weird. Keep us informed though, but I do agree with you that ESS should refund your money for all the stuff they messed up on your order (bracket, injectors, etc.) BTW, if you look at DonDon's pictures you'll see those same washers you had to put in yours