E46 Fanatics Forum banner

How much does it cost to replace the ignition coils or cam sensor?

16K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  MIAMITOPAZ 
#1 ·
I started my car today, and it was shaking and running rough as all hell (misfiring).

I shut it off and let it sit for a few hours, then tried it again. Still rough, but it pretty much went away after about 10 minutes. It still shakes a little at idle, but is better than it was. Pressing the gas makes all the shaking and misfiring go away.

I took the car to the dealer not too long ago for the same problem. They said the engine fault codes were pointing to misfiring, and they reset the computer or something and fixed it.

This time I think it may be something more, because before the shaking only lasted a few minutes. This time it went well over ten minutes.

As for my question, if it turns out to be ignition coils, how much should it cost to replace one or more?

Also, I know there's other causes to misfiring. How much would it cost to replace the cam sensor?

#4 ·
I wish I was still under warranty...

And I don't know what the exact problem is, so I am still going to have to take it to the dealer to get the fault codes checked out...

#7 ·
funkycold, i really hope it is not the same issue alot of us are having. becouse a fault is not stored. if BMWNA ever gets around to figuring it out maybe they will issue a recall. but i wouldn't hold my breath, i'm just glad mine should up just before warrenty expired. however it is odd that all of sudden so many e46's are experiencing this????

#8 ·
Well,the last time this rough idling happened, I *think* the engine light was already turned off by itself. But....I can't remember if it was or not. But you are probably right that the codes aren't stored. I've been reading a lot about this issue, and it seems to be pretty common like you say. But either way, I need to get it fixed for now, so I have no choice but to pay...for now. Hopefully BMW can fix the issue sooner or later...

#9 ·
smg said:
funkycold, i really hope it is not the same issue alot of us are having. becouse a fault is not stored. if BMWNA ever gets around to figuring it out maybe they will issue a recall. but i wouldn't hold my breath, i'm just glad mine should up just before warrenty expired. however it is odd that all of sudden so many e46's are experiencing this????
i think his issue id different from the idle problems that most e46 have.
his engines is misfiring and rattling noise, could be spark plugs/coils.

#10 ·
that is exactly the problem, the idle not being constant is becouse of a misfire. the DME is looking for a specified amount of crankshaft speed for each ingniton fire, when that speed is not presented the DME 'sees' a misfire and tries to compensate. you'll either get a fault code or not. the DME does not know why there is a misfire it just 'sees' one. hence the real problem with trying to fix it.

#11 ·
you dont have to have the fault code present to diagnos the problem.
The dealer sent signals to sensors to see which responded. My cam sensor went out. I thought it was the coils and plugs the wholes time. lucky I have extended 100k warranty. My car also rattled and stalled when i press the gas and press it again when the rpm was dropping. go0d lux

#13 ·
i just had my intake cam sensor replaced last week (70k miles)
i think it was around $80 for the part

one symptom of a bad intake cam sensor is the car will stall at idle after the car is warmed up and will go into limp mode....... not fun

my power steering pump blew a day later $$$

#15 ·
My car ran idled really rough for about 15 minutes, but never died. It came close maybe once.

After the 15 minutes though, the idling started to get better, and now I can drive it fine. I might hear a quick chug for about a second or so at idle, but other than that, the problem has pretty much disappeared... Regardless of how it "fixed itself", I still need to take it in and get the problem solved.

#16 ·
blown ignition coils

I had this same problem about 1 month ago... rough idling. Had the car, still under warranty, towed to dealership and they fixed it. I did think it was odd though to have a blown coild at 12k miles. Oh well, the guy at the dealership said it was one of those freak occurrences and that it doesn't happen all that often... seems like he was lying b/c a lot of you guys are experiencing the same thing now!

#17 ·
slow323ci said:
Free under warranty.

Coils are about $60 each (parts), and there are 6 of them. Easy DIY.

Cam sensors are about $90 (parts), and there are 2 of them. Intake sensor is different than exhaust sensor. Another easy DIY.
I want to do them myself...since I'm getting some rough idling and if I'm going over 70 mph the transmission will go into safe mode.

When you say "intake sensor" or others say "cam sensor" are you guys saying the oxygen sensors? There are two of those I thought. Are they as easy as the spark plugs? I did the sparks before 100,000 miles (at 105,880 now). The oxygen sensors are supposed to be replaced at 100,000...but I know they replaced mine at 20,000...so I'm getting close.

I'm just confused if we're talking about the oxygen sensors...or something else...and are they easy to DIY???

#18 ·
aNoodle said:
When you say "intake sensor" or others say "cam sensor" are you guys saying the oxygen sensors? There are two of those I thought. Are they as easy as the spark plugs? I did the sparks before 100,000 miles (at 105,880 now). The oxygen sensors are supposed to be replaced at 100,000...but I know they replaced mine at 20,000...so I'm getting close.

I'm just confused if we're talking about the oxygen sensors...or something else...and are they easy to DIY???
We're talking about camshaft position sensors. There are 2 of them, 1 for the intake cam and 1 for the exhaust cam. Those are easy to change yourself. The oxygen sensors are completely different things. Those are also an easy thing to change yourself.

#19 ·

i just hit 78000 on my 99 323i. in the last few months my water pump went, i needed new rear control arm bushings new brakes and a new oil sensor. so i got all this fixed. then my check engine lights came back on and im getting an intake cam sensor code. my mechanic ordered the part but until it comes i have to drive the car with about what feels like 50-60 less hp :thumbdwn: :thumbdwn: :thumbdwn: :cry: :dunno: . sucks ! and sometimes the car has a real hard time starting. i think im gonna diy the sensor ill post pics and do a little diy if i do! - nick

#22 ·
I took my car to the dealer, but my car sat there for 7 hours before I had to actually go back down there and ask them what was up. They said "ohhhh, they're going to get your car in there right away..." I said WTF and took my car and left. The problem had gone away 15 minutes after it happened and it never came back. So I figure I will just have the guys look at it when I take it in for Inspection 2.

#23 ·
man, ive been needing to do this for almost 3 yrs. but my advisor told me it wasnt under warranty. the last time i went to the dealer (to replace a screechy alternator -under extended warranty) the mech left a diagnostic paper inside and from what i could understand it read Exhaust Cam Sensor. my has goes into "limp" mode once in 3 yrs but i really need to fix this.

does anyone have a link to a DIY for the exhaust cam sensor :dunno:

slow323 - thanx for the info i needed that, i thought there was just one, and i thought it was by the exhaust :tsk:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.