E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.20 average. Display Modes
Old 02-16-2004, 02:58 PM   #1
adt

My Ride: '02 330ci
Send a message via AIM to adt
power steering fluid flush

anybody know a DIY for a power steering fluid flush? pointers, tips, suggestions please.

Thanks.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-16-2004, 07:04 PM   #2
tim330i
Owner/Admin

My Ride: 03 Ti Silver M3
based on having my steering rack replaced you just need to removed the pressure line from the pump and the fluid should drain out.

This isn't a full flush but should get most of the fluid out.

Tim
tim330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 08:16 PM   #3
E28Fiend
Track it

My Ride: '06 M3
Send a message via AIM to E28Fiend
why in the world would u wanna do a power steering fluid flush?
Old 02-16-2004, 08:34 PM   #4
hummer

My Ride: 2001 330CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by adt
anybody know a DIY for a power steering fluid flush? pointers, tips, suggestions please.

Thanks.
I just suck the fluid out of the reservoir and refill. Do this 2-3 times and you'll change most of the fluid. You'll use less than a quart. Drive a little between refills.
I do it once a year.
Kinda like changing auto trannny fluid. You never really get all the old stuff out with one change.
hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 01:32 AM   #5
bill325

My Ride: 2002 325i
The power steering fluid is one fluid that is really a LIFETIME fluid that doesn't need to be touched.
bill325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 01:58 AM   #6
adt

Quote:
Originally Posted by E28Fiend
why in the world would u wanna do a power steering fluid flush?
i brought my car in to the dealership to get something done and my service adviser recommended a power steering fluid flush and a fuel injection service. he wanted to charge me $400 for both of these services. needless to say, i declined it.
Old 02-17-2004, 02:04 AM   #7
adt

supposedly, the power steering fluid in my car is dirty. i will check it tomorrow and probably go with hummer's method. BTW, anybody know what is involve in the fuel injection service.

Thanks for all the replies.
Old 02-17-2004, 07:59 AM   #8
G. P. Burdell

My Ride: E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill325
The power steering fluid is one fluid that is really a LIFETIME fluid that doesn't need to be touched.
I disagree. The power steering fluid and its protective additives break down over time. The fluid turns a filthy brown/black color and shortens the life of the PS pump and rack. My E36 328i needed a new PS pump and rack last month because the fluid had never been changed. From now on I'll flush the fluid every 30,000 miles.
G. P. Burdell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 11:41 AM   #9
bobble

My Ride: 323Ci
why not use a cheap hand bleeder that you can get at any auto parts store and simply pump out the old fluid from the tank. A quart of Dexron III is cheap compared to a whole new pump and rack. Doing it this way you can do it from within the engine compartment and straight into an empty quart container and off to the recycling center!!! Pretty simple.
bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 11:45 AM   #10
hummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by adt
supposedly, the power steering fluid in my car is dirty. i will check it tomorrow and probably go with hummer's method. BTW, anybody know what is involve in the fuel injection service.

Thanks for all the replies.
I use fuel system cleaner twice a year just before the oil change. Valvoline Synpower but there are many others. This process has kept my wifes Audi running smoothly for 160K.

Place a drop of the old steering fluid on a paper towel and note the color. Then see what it looks like after the flush. It will be bright red.
Old 02-17-2004, 12:04 PM   #11
GunMoto

My Ride: EG8 | E46 | W211
Send a message via AIM to GunMoto
Locate the hose that connects the cooling bar to the steering rack. Loosen and remove the banjo bolt that connects this hose to the steering rack. This will drain the fluid in the reservoir and the cooling bar. Itís not a complete flush, but does get most of the fluid drained.

Note: If you guys ever find a power steering fluid leak, check the condition of the hoses and seals at the connection points. For general information, our power steering system uses four hoses. Each hose connects between the:
1. PS reservoir (crimp-type clamp) and PS pump (crimp-type clamp)
2. PS pump (not sure) and PS rack (banjo bolt)
3. PS rack (banjo bolt) and cooling bar (slip-on fitting)
4. Cooling bar (slip-on fitting) and PS reservoir (crimp-type clamp)
I recently replaced hoses #1, #3, and #4 and the rubber O-ring on the reservoir cap. I rate this job with low difficulty. Also, instead of using the OEM BMW crimp-type clamps for hoses #1 and #4, I used the screw-type clamps from Home Depot. If you want to use the BMW clamps, youíll need to purchase new clamps and the BMW crimp tool.

I hope this helps and made sense.
Old 02-17-2004, 03:22 PM   #12
adt

thanks for all the suggestions...
Old 02-17-2004, 03:26 PM   #13
Asmodeus

My Ride: 328i
Perfect timing for this thread, I was about to search on PS flush since I'm going to replace mine with Red Line's D4-ATF
Asmodeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 06:10 PM   #14
cgrizzly888

My Ride: 00 328i
Send a message via AIM to cgrizzly888
You can use redline d4 atf as the power steering fliud? Is it better to just use bmw power steering fluid?
cgrizzly888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 06:28 PM   #15
bobble

My Ride: 323Ci
BMW recommends Dexron III, I use Castrol's version which is probably the same as the OEM fill because of their business agreements (I don't know that just assuming). Anyhow it's simple and cheap, did it at 30K with tranny and diff, whole day spent changing the "lifetime" fluids.
bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 10:49 AM   #16
louiegz

My Ride: 03 BMW 330i 40k
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill325
I've read in my Infiniti forum that what happens to PS fluid after time is that it becomes more acidy and could break down your seals, so it's a good idea to change your fluid once a year. My Q uses AT fluid for the PS. I don't know what the BMW uses. PS or AT fluid.
louiegz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2004, 12:56 PM   #17
K-Man

My Ride: BMW
Use ABA Swedish Hose Clamps

I just replaced all my power steering hoses on Thursday!

I had three leaks

Both hoses at the tank

The lower cooler hose (Cooler to Rack)

Clean all openings before installing the new hoses and use new sealings rings for the banjo tighten to spec 30 Ft Lbs!

Use good quality ABA Swedish clamps for the tank hoses. These bad boys will not cut up your uses like the cheap shiat American Style!

I used 12mm wide ABA's and they grip like a Swedish Women You can get the clamps from any Quality German Car Aftermarket parts house!!
K-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 12:42 AM   #18
moomber

My Ride: 330ci
just to help ppl who'd like to do the flush -
http://www.dvatp.com/bmw/diy/power_steering_flush/
moomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 10:10 AM   #19
Alekm

My Ride: 323 E46 1999 AT 170k
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunMoto View Post
Locate the hose that connects the cooling bar to the steering rack. Loosen and remove the banjo bolt that connects this hose to the steering rack. This will drain the fluid in the reservoir and the cooling bar. Itís not a complete flush, but does get most of the fluid drained.

I hope this helps and made sense.
Any pics where the banjo bolt is located?
Alekm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 11:41 AM   #20
hummer

You can go under the car and loosen the bango bolts on the rack to drain more fluid. Like I said before, I change mine once a year kust sucking the reservoir dry and refilling till the qt is used. The whole point of doing it this way is that it's easy and works fine and the fluid is always bright red. No leaks and no parts replaced in 7 years and 109K miles! So the guy above who said that changing the power steering fluid is not required, is all wet!