E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-20-2004, 10:58 PM   #1
Jake
Steelblue Zim Zimma

My Ride: "Shark Infested 323"
Send a message via AIM to Jake
For those who ever thought about getting DDE"s (kinda long)

This post right HERE is what got me hooked into the DDE's and I am so glad I waited over the years to see this product develop into what it has become.
I would like to thank JLEVI, for answering all my questions, and getting the DDE's to me way over here (in the Middle East) in just under a week (SUPERB SVC) and ensuring me that the install would be easy. "JERSEY" thank you also as your pics help me a great deal in the install, I was skeptical at first but, once I started rollin it was ALL good...Once the install was over I was ALL SMILES... ..(one halo is bad but Jlevi is on the ball again....express shipment should be sent today and arrive within days...) anyway enough talking here are some pics...(my way to give back to help out the person on the next install...JLEVI... )

Open the box to make sure all HALOS were intact (YES!!! they made the trip)

Second:

Let the install Begin...

Here is just a better shot of the clean looking in the wire rail.

At this point my Camera was acting up, but basically you then just run the RED/WHITE wire into the ECU and connect the blue clip into the RED/WHITE and DOTTED Wire (This is the accerssory wire for delayed shutting off of the lights when you exit the vehicle)....Camera works again...
Continue to run the Black cable down the drivers side of the car, following the SAME path as the OEM wires....so at this point you have a RED and Brown wire running down both sides of the car all the way to the lights.....

I then went ahead and removed my head light covers...

Before this pic I reinstalled the Covers back on the lights.

Just another shot of the light box...

Now from this point everything is connected I just pulled off the dbl sided tape stuck the light boxes under neat the radiator rail, used a few tie wraps. Prayed crossed my fingers and started up the car.

As you can see one bulb is out, not sure why but I swaped the white wire with the bulb that was on and it still did not come on so I know the Halo is bad...(no worries JLEVI is on the scene .) I will have a new halo this week.

so any comments, let me know, just my way to give back to all of you, who help so many of us all on this board...Can't believe I been a member for 4 years...wow......whatcha think?

Last edited by Jake; 02-20-2004 at 11:05 PM.
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-20-2004, 11:17 PM   #2
Jlevi SW
1.888.JLEVISW

My Ride: Vorsteiner 335i
Send a message via AIM to Jlevi SW
Glad you like them Jake
Can't wait to get that other ring in your car
Jlevi SW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 12:19 AM   #3
doncmleon

My Ride: layin in the cut!
Send a message via AIM to doncmleon Send a message via Yahoo to doncmleon
Tight Tight!

i am thinking about ordering my DDE's in a few weeks, too. I havent seen any here in the Houston area, so i wanna be one of the first. Thanks for the motivation, man....keep rollin along!
Old 02-21-2004, 12:46 AM   #4
DiscoStu
Sienna Red Coupe

My Ride: 2013 VW GLI
Question. I've got DDE Gen V's now and i'm upgrading to lighting enhanced in the spring. Can I use the same wire harnesses and relay?
Old 02-21-2004, 12:54 AM   #5
Jlevi SW
1.888.JLEVISW

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoStu
Question. I've got DDE Gen V's now and i'm upgrading to lighting enhanced in the spring. Can I use the same wire harnesses and relay?
Yes, but it won't have the clips on the ends of all the wires... so you'd have to solder on the ballast wires. Then change the fuse to a 5 amp, not a 40 amp.

Then you're all set

JL
Old 02-21-2004, 01:49 AM   #6
Jlevi SW
1.888.JLEVISW

I've actually found that if you're gentle enough, you can put BOTH of the highbeam clips on slot 2. The thing is, I recommend wedging a screwdriver in and opening the clip a little bit, so that you can do it without too much force. You might want to change the image accordingly

AWESOME writeup though.
Old 02-21-2004, 02:10 AM   #7
Jake
Steelblue Zim Zimma

I may do this when I get the other bulb, and see I just hate to break a clip and then have to wait on USPS again....I will see., again thanks for your help

Old 02-21-2004, 02:40 AM   #8
Double Vanos
Loves cookies

My Ride: 2013 VW GTi
Send a message via AIM to Double Vanos
Im thinking about getting some of these but i was wondering after you install these can you still wash the engine bay and not worry about the wires or light box getting wet? Also what other pros and cons are there to have these?

2011 135i 6 speed (Gone and missed)
Double Vanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 03:25 AM   #9
blue_bimma
E46

My Ride: BMW
I've been out of the E46 loop for a while and just coming back. I got some crappy Gen V DDE's that suck. All my fiber optics are melted and it looks like yellow crap on my headlights.

So, what light source does it use? And are these THE BEST out there right now for DDEs??
Old 02-21-2004, 04:43 AM   #10
ab325

My Ride: bipedal
Ive got the same problem with melting fiber optics and yellow on my headlights. my lightboxes tend to go out on me pretty regularly as well. i shouldve just waited for the dde's, but now theyre too expensive

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_bimma
I've been out of the E46 loop for a while and just coming back. I got some crappy Gen V DDE's that suck. All my fiber optics are melted and it looks like yellow crap on my headlights.

So, what light source does it use? And are these THE BEST out there right now for DDEs??
ab325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 07:15 AM   #11
Jake
Steelblue Zim Zimma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Vanos
Im thinking about getting some of these but i was wondering after you install these can you still wash the engine bay and not worry about the wires or light box getting wet? Also what other pros and cons are there to have these?
Yes you still wash your engine, and cover up the same spots, you would do normally,(cover mine with Aluminum foil works well since the water just runs off...)(you cover up the ECU,DSC Area, and your two front Head lights (the back part where the wire are at) and you are good to go.

As far as pros and cons....PROS: you will have the best DDE's on the market to date and by far the easiest install.....CONS:...Uhhhhh...Uhhhhhh... when i think of one I'll let ya know....(don't hold your breath.. )

Last edited by Jake; 02-21-2004 at 07:17 AM.
Old 02-21-2004, 07:19 AM   #12
Jake
Steelblue Zim Zimma

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_bimma

Look at the above pics the light source its that little White box. the best out right now??? No Question DDE's Enhanced..

Last edited by Jake; 02-21-2004 at 07:21 AM.
Old 02-21-2004, 11:53 AM   #13
dronell19
JDM - Style

My Ride: is sold
Send a message via MSN to dronell19
Right now, I am very worried about breaking a ring while installing. The replacement ring may never reach me (postal service here sucks big time).

Gone but never forgotten; E46Fanatics first Arqray+Strassentech combo
dronell19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 12:03 PM   #14
nikemykee
First 19" ZHP

My Ride: 03 3 Series
Send a message via AIM to nikemykee
congrats nice write up
Old 02-21-2004, 12:28 PM   #15
umnitza

My Ride: E39M5, Sequoia
Send a message via Yahoo to umnitza
The clips take a lot of abuse, don't worry about it.

For those of you having issues with your Gen V - contact your retailer - if that's us, contact us, if that's someone else - get on them until they fix it or help you get "into another product"
Old 02-21-2004, 12:54 PM   #16
///ACS330Ci
Artist formerly k/a Steve

My Ride: ACS/M-Technik 330Ci
Send a message via ICQ to ///ACS330Ci Send a message via AIM to ///ACS330Ci
Jake you're a !

Car looks awesome
Old 02-21-2004, 01:08 PM   #17
///ACS330Ci
Artist formerly k/a Steve

My Ride: ACS/M-Technik 330Ci
Send a message via ICQ to ///ACS330Ci Send a message via AIM to ///ACS330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by umnitza
The clips take a lot of abuse, don't worry about it.

For those of you having issues with your Gen V - contact your retailer - if that's us, contact us, if that's someone else - get on them until they fix it or help you get "into another product"
Special upgrade price for a never installed Gen V kit?
Old 02-21-2004, 01:28 PM   #18
Jlevi SW
1.888.JLEVISW

Bluebimma: No doubt. The source of light is the ring itself if that helps at all. They're about 2-3x brighter than GenV, with half the heat, and NO damage to the car. Oh yea... NO lightboxes

For those of you who need more information, contact myself or umnitza... or check out one of our sites. I have a nice little writeup and comparison picture on my site, www.jlevistreetwerks.com
Like Matt said, I'll be happy to help your switch up to the latest and greatest in DDE technology, and I'm sure he will too.
Old 02-21-2004, 01:41 PM   #19
JoeyGoodfella

My Ride: 330i 03'
Send a message via AIM to JoeyGoodfella
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoStu
I'm doing the same. How long ago did you get the gen-v's? out of curiousity and how bright are they now?
Old 02-21-2004, 02:46 PM   #20
biggie27

My Ride: turbocharged camel
Send a message via Yahoo to biggie27
hey jake this is kinda off topic but I was wondering how did you get your car sharked since I was looking at the shark upgrade and it said it was only for us spec cars, Im in kuwait by the way and I have a euro spec M3

on topic : those DDE's look tight, I should have mine on tuesday ( shouldve had them a month earlier but Kuwaiti customs suck a$$ )

Last edited by biggie27; 02-21-2004 at 02:51 PM.
biggie27 is offline   Reply With Quote