E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-04-2002, 05:49 AM   #21
Dirtboy
Grüne Hölle Junkie

My Ride: ESS TS2+ 330Ci
Send a message via Yahoo to Dirtboy
Lightbulb Tilt sensor splicing?????

thats a sweet idea! i've got a shock sensor laying around from a previous car. Ive got a question though, anyone know the wiring for the tilt sensor in the trunk? could you splice in the shock sensor to the tilt sensor the same way the DIY explains? my reasoning for this is that i want to mount the shock sensor to flat sheet metal for the best sensitivity and i want it mounted out of veiw for a clean install. anyone.... anyone......
Old 07-04-2002, 09:12 AM   #22
Dirtboy
Grüne Hölle Junkie

My Ride: ESS TS2+ 330Ci
Send a message via Yahoo to Dirtboy
for anybody interested, i was able to get the shock sensor to work in the trunk spliced into the tilt sensor. if you look at the plug that goes into the tilt sensor, the black wire with the blue stripe is the trigger wire and it is also wire #1 of the plug . wire #3 is red with a black stripe, this is the +power for the sensor. wire #5 is black with a red stripe, this is the ground wire. power is only provided to the tilt sensor when all doors and trunk are closed and the alarm is armed. it was a bit tricky to calibrate the sensitivity of the shock sensor with the power hooked up this way, so i just hooked the power for the shock sensor up directly to the battery, with a fuse of course. either way you do it will work. good luck
Old 07-05-2002, 08:47 PM   #23
Yellowmann
Rolling on Dubs. Got Boost?

My Ride: AA SC Y2K 323i
Send a message via AIM to Yellowmann
HI, Is the purple wire on the hood pin switch positive or negative trigger? I had added the blue wire from the shock sensor to the purple wire of the hood switch and it dont work. I didnt get the DEI shock sensor because the store didnt have it. I figure any would work but Im having problem. My blue wire is a negative trigger. Is the DEI blue wire a negative trigger also? If so then mine should work but dont. I did notice that when the hood switch is in the up position and I tap my shock sensor, the light is on but if I had the hood switch down and I tap the shock it dont light. I think that is my problem. Can someone help me out?

Once A Yellowmann, Always A Yellowmann ...One Who Is Wise - Always Learn From Other People's Mistakes ...One Who Thinks That They Can Never Be Successful - Will Never Be Successful ...First You Don't Succeed - Try, Try Again ...
Yellowmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2002, 09:06 PM   #24
B
OG Moderator Extraordinaire

My Ride: 325iX-M3-525iT-M5
Send a message via AIM to B
I'm making this a Sticky for now, but I wanna get this in the How-Tos...

thanks so much Loki! And Jacob for explaining...

peace
B
Old 07-06-2002, 09:48 AM   #25
pakoenig

My Ride: 02 M3 Cab
Got the DEI sensor at Good Guys

$19.95 - last one on stock in the Walnut Creek, CA store.
It was the DEI specific version - the 509D.
pakoenig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2002, 12:48 PM   #26
Technic

My Ride: '12 M3 & '10 CC
Autotech.com has the DEI 504M for $23.50 including shipping. You can pay by PayPal too...
Technic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2002, 01:01 PM   #27
Dev
PSHOPWERKS

My Ride: Yellow Porsche GT2
DEI 504M vs. DEI 504D

What's the difference?

Current Hate Level: 10 | Previous Hate Level: 9
The hatin' level on the E46Fanatics.com board.
Dev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2002, 03:09 AM   #28
MikE46

My Ride: '01 325Ci
Send a message via ICQ to MikE46 Send a message via AIM to MikE46
Anyone find the differences between the 504M and the 509D? Any updates on hooking it up to the tilt sensor? Problems? Suggestions? I am going to be doing this tomorrow.
MikE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2002, 07:53 AM   #29
Chailo27

My Ride: A Car
My friend had an extra one lying around, but on the back it says 504 no letter after it. It has blue, green, red, and black wires, no Yellow like Loki instructions states. Is this compatiable with what everyone else is using?
Chailo27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2002, 07:59 AM   #30
newbieguy

My Ride: '09 E93 M3 S. Gray
Quote:
Originally posted by MikE46
Anyone find the differences between the 504M and the 509D? Any updates on hooking it up to the tilt sensor? Problems? Suggestions? I am going to be doing this tomorrow.
I think the only difference between the 2 is:

504M has an inline fuse and 509D does not. I could be wrong, but I think this is the only difference.

'03 JB M3
'01 330ci gone but not forgotten
newbieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2002, 08:20 AM   #31
StreetTrixE4six
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 08' 328i E92
i have the 504M and it only says 504 on the back also. Should be ok.
StreetTrixE4six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2002, 10:36 AM   #32
ACS Rob
pinoyfanatic

My Ride: This --->
Quote:
Originally posted by Dirtboy
for anybody interested, i was able to get the shock sensor to work in the trunk spliced into the tilt sensor. if you look at the plug that goes into the tilt sensor, the black wire with the blue stripe is the trigger wire and it is also wire #1 of the plug . wire #3 is red with a black stripe, this is the +power for the sensor. wire #5 is black with a red stripe, this is the ground wire. power is only provided to the tilt sensor when all doors and trunk are closed and the alarm is armed. it was a bit tricky to calibrate the sensitivity of the shock sensor with the power hooked up this way, so i just hooked the power for the shock sensor up directly to the battery, with a fuse of course. either way you do it will work. good luck

Where is the tilt sensor located in the trunk?
Old 07-09-2002, 07:06 PM   #33
mleelun

Send a message via AIM to mleelun
Does the factory alarm come with a proximity sensor? If not can you add one on like the shock sensor?

Mike
mleelun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2002, 07:16 PM   #34
neopunk1

My Ride: 330ci
Send a message via AIM to neopunk1
Quote:
Originally posted by ACS Rob
Where is the tilt sensor located in the trunk?
Follow http://www.my330i.com/mod8.php
neopunk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2002, 11:03 PM   #35
Nitro

My Ride: 330i
Which wire?

The only one the alarm store had was the 504D which has the following 4 wires:

Red = Power
Black = Ground
Blue = Alarm (-) Output
Green = Warn (-) Output

Which one should I use for the trigger, blue or green?

Thanks in advance ...

Last edited by Nitro; 07-12-2002 at 01:46 AM.
Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2002, 11:38 PM   #36
31st330i

Re: vinny heres the break down

Quote:
Originally posted by JACOB NJ
the shock sensor gets power from the cars electrical system.. then triggers the hood pin switch when the car is bumper or tampered with .. so the alarm is in turn set of by the hood pin switch.... loki write up is great.. not sure if he used the diodes on the install ..but the paperwork for the 504 from what i remember suggest diode use so the shock sensor does not back feed from the pin switch the the sensor but vise versa.. but i dont think its necessary but dfiently a plus.. i also had all power and wires inside the car.. nothing was seen under the hood but all was hidden behind the glove box.. loki defiantly has the easier install there but i guess my mentality of clean and simple is just because of the work i do.. and how i do this daily.. i try to keep to out of sight out of mind either way will work fine
dumb question.... but if the alarm system is not installed, how can it be triggered? furthermore, you have to go to the dealer to have it enabled using large computer that they plug the cars into.
31st330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2002, 07:37 PM   #37
31st330i

bump...

pardon my ignorance or if the detail was posted and I missed it.... is this intended as an upgrade to the alarm upgrade or an inexpensive replacement for the alarm upgrade? if the later, please see my above post.
31st330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2002, 07:42 PM   #38
StreetTrixE4six
E46Fanatic

Re: Re: vinny heres the break down

Quote:
Originally posted by 31st330i

dumb question.... but if the alarm system is not installed, how can it be triggered? furthermore, you have to go to the dealer to have it enabled using large computer that they plug the cars into.
You need the alarm system in order for it to be triggered and it must be programmed by BMW. The shock sensor is just an add on option to the factory alarm.
Old 07-12-2002, 07:46 PM   #39
StreetTrixE4six
E46Fanatic

Re: Which wire?

Quote:
Originally posted by Nitro
The only one the alarm store had was the 504D which has the following 4 wires:

Red = Power
Black = Ground
Blue = Alarm (-) Output
Green = Warn (-) Output

Which one should I use for the trigger, blue or green?

Thanks in advance ...
I have the 504M and used green, not sure if it's the same for 504D. I'm sure one of them work, just play around with it.
Old 07-12-2002, 11:36 PM   #40
rcgait1

Whys the best way to make the connection...

from teh shock sensor to the pin switch trigger wirre. Without cutting any of the factory wires?
rcgait1 is offline   Reply With Quote