E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-14-2002, 12:17 AM   #41
Nitro

My Ride: 330i
Any problems with the sensitivity?

Quote:
Originally posted by Dirtboy
for anybody interested, i was able to get the shock sensor to work in the trunk spliced into the tilt sensor. if you look at the plug that goes into the tilt sensor, the black wire with the blue stripe is the trigger wire and it is also wire #1 of the plug . wire #3 is red with a black stripe, this is the +power for the sensor. wire #5 is black with a red stripe, this is the ground wire. power is only provided to the tilt sensor when all doors and trunk are closed and the alarm is armed. it was a bit tricky to calibrate the sensitivity of the shock sensor with the power hooked up this way, so i just hooked the power for the shock sensor up directly to the battery, with a fuse of course. either way you do it will work. good luck
I installed the sensor like you did but I am having problems with the sensitivity as well as shutoff. If I set off the alarm it does not shutoff when I use the remote. I have to wait for the alarm to reset. Sometimes, when I unlock the doors it sets off the alarm. I have tried adjusting the sensitivity all the way to the left and all the way to the right but it seems to be the same either way. I used the blue wire of the sensor for the trigger which is low sensitivity. Should I have used the green high sensitivity instead? Should the sensor have power to it all the time? Thanks ....

Last edited by Nitro; 07-14-2002 at 11:07 AM.
Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2002, 10:07 AM   #42
Nitro

My Ride: 330i
Update of install.

I went ahead yesterday and moved the installation under the hood like the DIY outlined. The installation went without a hitch and worked perfectly. Since the sensor was model 504D it had a green wire (high sensitivity) and blue wire (low sensitivity). I used the blue wire and adjusted the sensitivity. If you pound on any of the windows or panels the alarm will go off but if you rock the car it does not, so I should not get any false alarms. It would not work for me correctly hooked to the tilt sensor.
Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 07:28 PM   #43
BeamerDaddy2001
King

My Ride: Air Force One
Maybe, we would need to hook up both the BLUE and GREEN wires to the PURPLE wire to get the feature below
Can anyone verify this???????????

Quote:
Originally posted by JetBlackE46
how can you hook up the dual stage shock sensor?

i want it to chirp on light shocks and trigger the alarm on a hard shock...anyone know?

also, is the purple wire a positive or negative trigger?
Old 12-03-2002, 07:29 PM   #44
BeamerDaddy2001
King

My Ride: Air Force One
What is the advantage/disadvantage of hooking up only BLUE to PURPLE?? How about GREEN to PURPLE??

Is one (blue or green) better than the other?

This part of the DIY instructions is a bit confusing. Can anyone help??
Old 03-13-2003, 02:40 PM   #45
CtrlAltDel
www.piratecove.org

My Ride: 2007 335i Coupe
Send a message via ICQ to CtrlAltDel Send a message via AIM to CtrlAltDel
can someone put that DIY somewhere I dont have to sign up to view it? even zip it up and email it to me? i'd even host it on my site.
Old 10-01-2004, 11:53 AM   #46
jstar41

My Ride: TopazE46|MontegoE92
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACOB NJ
anytime if you ever need electrical guidance just holla
Jacob, you seem to be electrical gifted.. by any chance do you know what's the best way to run the wires for strobe lights.. i want to get the 6 * 90w Whelen... i want to connect 1 strobe to each turn signal and 2 underneath the car.. i want to place the switch where the ashtray is.. do you have a DIY.. ??
Old 10-01-2004, 11:56 AM   #47
jstar41

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlAltDel
can someone put that DIY somewhere I dont have to sign up to view it? even zip it up and email it to me? i'd even host it on my site.
I think this is the best method.. i'm doing it this weekend, i found this on one of the forums

http://members.roadfly.com/black_man...k%20Sensor.pdf
Old 10-09-2004, 01:15 AM   #48
jstar41

I need help.. i installed the 504M shock sensor following the instructions from the link i posted.. first of all the shock sensor did not fit properly between the sunroof metal cover plate and the top panel, i had to force it in and it kinda push the top panel down a bit.. anyways while trying to adjust the sensitivity of the sensor, the chips inside the sensor fried... not sure what happened.. any ideas????
Old 10-09-2004, 08:51 AM   #49
Technic

My Ride: '12 M3 & '10 CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstar41
I need help.. i installed the 504M shock sensor following the instructions from the link i posted.. first of all the shock sensor did not fit properly between the sunroof metal cover plate and the top panel, i had to force it in and it kinda push the top panel down a bit.. anyways while trying to adjust the sensitivity of the sensor, the chips inside the sensor fried... not sure what happened.. any ideas????
Wires crossed...
Technic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 03:43 PM   #50
hotrod

My Ride: 03 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstar41
the shock sensor won't fit between the sunroof metal cover plate and the top panel. you can jam it in there, but you'll get a bulge wherever the shock sensor ended up.

since the wires that came with the shock sensor are long enough, i ran the wires around the sunroof, placing the shock sensor by where the garage door opener is. this gets rid of the bulge.
Old 10-12-2004, 10:56 PM   #51
jstar41

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod
the shock sensor won't fit between the sunroof metal cover plate and the top panel. you can jam it in there, but you'll get a bulge wherever the shock sensor ended up.

since the wires that came with the shock sensor are long enough, i ran the wires around the sunroof, placing the shock sensor by where the garage door opener is. this gets rid of the bulge.
did you remove the top panel to get it to where the garage opener is? and how good is the sensibility of it in this location?
Old 10-12-2004, 11:41 PM   #52
hotrod

My Ride: 03 M3
i didn't remove the liner. i removed the plastic piece that holds the garage door opener, sun roof switch, and phone microphone. then i fished the shock sensor wires to where the motion sensor "hole" is. if you don't have fish tape, you will can pry open the liner at the side of the sunroof a little bit. this isn't hard, and won't break anything as long as you don't use excessive force. i did a little of this too when i was first figuring out if it was possible going around the sunroof.

sensitivity seems okay to me. i wouldn't say better, but probably about the same, and definitely not worse for me.
Old 10-14-2004, 06:15 AM   #53
SQP

My Ride: E46 Edition Sport
Hi,

if I build in the Shock Sensor 504D at Sunroof or Hood...what if I open the trunk is the alarm for this action off or on when i press on the switch of the Carkey?

Sorry for my very bad englisch :-)

Thanxs SQP
SQP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 08:11 AM   #54
Technic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQP
Hi,

if I build in the Shock Sensor 504D at Sunroof or Hood...what if I open the trunk is the alarm for this action off or on when i press on the switch of the Carkey?

Sorry for my very bad englisch :-)

Thanxs SQP
Both the tilt sensor and the interior motion sensor contacts are disabled if you open the trunk while the alarm is armed. This is the primary reason that it is highly recommended that the shock sensor trigger wire be installed in parallel with only those two sensors and not to an entry point like the hood which will trigger the alarm if you open and close the trunk.
Old 10-14-2004, 10:39 AM   #55
SQP

Hi,

very nice this is the Info I searched. So I install the Shock Sensor at the interior motion sensor like Black Man in his DIY.

But here in Germany only the 504D from Viper ist aviable, can I install these or must it be the 504M ???
Old 10-14-2004, 11:02 AM   #56
Technic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQP
Hi,

very nice this is the Info I searched. So I install the Shock Sensor at the interior motion sensor like Black Man in his DIY.

But here in Germany only the 504D from Viper ist aviable, can I install these or must it be the 504M ???
... as long as the sensor have three wires (+12V, Ground and trigger) you are good to go.
Old 10-15-2004, 02:00 AM   #57
SQP

I think there are 4 Wires +12V, Ground, and 2x trigger (High & Low for Full and Low alarm)

Is the Installation for everybody possible or must it do an mechanican?
Old 10-15-2004, 08:16 AM   #58
Technic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQP
I think there are 4 Wires +12V, Ground, and 2x trigger (High & Low for Full and Low alarm)

Is the Installation for everybody possible or must it do an mechanican?
... you can do it yourself (DIY).
Old 10-15-2004, 09:15 AM   #59
jstar41

ok, i'm getting a new 504m sensor today and i was wondering what's the best way to wire to have both the warning and loud alarm working.. i hear some say to wire the blue wire then i hear others saying to wire the green.. can i just wire both of the cables to the purple?? oh and in DIY says to fit the wires into the motion detector connector, can i just splice the wires? i think that i burnt my first 504M by fitting them in the small connector ( prob became loose and touched.. )
Old 10-16-2004, 10:28 AM   #60
k9fxr

My Ride: 330ci vert
I hae been reading on this also, I am pretty sure you select blu or green, was told it won't work with both spliced in.
Also , and anyone correct me, but I don't think you get a prewarning option.
That is a feature of some aftermarket motion detectors, not the shock sensor.
I am looking at adding a motion sensor to my cabrio, but was told there is no prewarning in the BMW.

Anyone have a diff. opinion?
k9fxr is offline   Reply With Quote