E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 56 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-12-2005, 09:09 AM   #81
markl951

My Ride: 323Ci
Problem solved

I could never get the short pin 7 & 19 technique to work even though my car is a 2000 323Cic and has a DLC. I tried the "left odometer" method (see Dillard's post #53) and that worked for me.

The service indicator now shows miles to the next engine service. Is there a way to toggle it back to show miles to the next oil service?

-m
markl951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 09:56 PM   #82
eqly

My Ride: 2001 Bmw 325i
Wow, you guys are the best. It worked for me doing it the dashboard way on my 2001 325i. Thanks for sharing. Bump!
eqly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 02:38 PM   #83
Razcal

My Ride: AW 335xi
just did the service reset with a paper clip and it worked!! THANKS!
For those who are having problems, make sure you insert the paper clip all the way down. I had to try a couple of times before getting it to work.
Razcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 02:39 PM   #84
leej323

My Ride: '00 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razcal
just did the service reset with a paper clip and it worked!! THANKS!
For those who are having problems, make sure you insert the paper clip all the way down. I had to try a couple of times before getting it to work.
Yup, also remember to count the appropriate amount of time.
leej323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 11:01 AM   #85
r0bci
Banned

My Ride: 1999 BMW 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkmanlfe
yes that is correct. pin 19 is ground.
so you can either short pin 7 and pin 19 with a paper clip or ground pin 7.

what do you mean "short pin 7 and pin 19" you make sure they touch at the same time with a paper clip?
r0bci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 12:39 AM   #86
BLK BLUR

My Ride: 335i,modena,titan cc
Quote:
Originally Posted by dillard
OIL RESET:
1. key must be OFF
2. look at the cluster. there are two buttons. press and hold the left one down.
3. turn the key to position 1 (KLR).
4. continue to hold button for approx. 5 seconds after the key is turned to position 1 (you can let go of the key).
5. after about 5 secs you will see a message in the OBC. it will either flash OIL SERVICE or INSPECTION with "rESET SIA."
6. while the message is flashing, let go and then tap the same button you've been holding and the SIA will reset itself. the cluster will display "END SIA."

It worked on my wife's 323i ,Thank you
Old 03-07-2006, 06:51 AM   #87
BimmerToy

My Ride: 1999 BMW 323i Sedan
Send a message via AIM to BimmerToy Send a message via MSN to BimmerToy
Question A couple questions I had....

I figured first of all, I'd bump this thread, since it has answered one of my questions already.

A couple questions while I'm getting ready to do this myself for the first time. I read that it is recommended 5w 30 synthetic performance oil. I'm good to go on that part.

1999 323i Sedan

1) How many quarts do I need exactly?

2) Are the filters available at local autoparts stores like autozone and such? And can someone give me the model of filter I need. If these are not available at these type of stores is there anywhere where I can get these at a reasonable price?

3) I'm fairly new to this bmw community, and still learning here. I have yet to have any service done to the car. My mileage is about due for oil change. I'm trying to understand the Insepction Maintenances that need performed on the car. Can someone give me a little info on this. I just rolled 80,000. I bought the car used, so I have no clue about previous maitenance. How do I find out when I'm due for any maintenance on the engine? Is there a set mileage when something should be done? I really have no idea on what Inspections really are all about. I feel kind of dumb asking this, but thats the only way I guess I will learn. I'm use to the import cars, and I'm finding out that the BMW is a totally new and very different community of automobiles.

BimmerToy
http://www.ameanz.com

Last edited by BimmerToy; 03-07-2006 at 07:28 AM.
BimmerToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 06:55 AM   #88
kevmo

My Ride: vDubDizzle
Send a message via AIM to kevmo
bot 6.5 quarts... most ppl use 5w30 full syn oil

kevmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 10:48 PM   #89
Dev
PSHOPWERKS

My Ride: Yellow Porsche GT2
Great bump! I just did it, again.

Current Hate Level: 10 | Previous Hate Level: 9
The hatin' level on the E46Fanatics.com board.
Dev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 11:28 AM   #90
Surk

My Ride: C Blk E46///M3
I can't get my reset to work using the paperclip method or with a friends Peake tool on my 99 328i.. this is since dealer replace my DME under warr.. Is it poss they updated software version and even Peake tool won't reset serv\oil indicators??
Old 03-16-2006, 05:29 PM   #91
bimmer07
Banned

My Ride: //////////M
Send a message via AIM to bimmer07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surk
I can't get my reset to work using the paperclip method or with a friends Peake tool on my 99 328i.. this is since dealer replace my DME under warr.. Is it poss they updated software version and even Peake tool won't reset serv\oil indicators??

I can't get mine to reset but i've just realized that the milage since october has read -5113 and has not changed since then. Very odd when i changed the oil and had some work done i had my shop reset it but it didnt reset either.

Edit: i just tried the way of post #53 and instead of saying what he says it will it said
test 01 _1.2 then i push the left button in and it'd say different milages each time with a 1.5 or some number on the other side.

Last edited by bimmer07; 03-16-2006 at 05:33 PM.
bimmer07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 10:00 PM   #92
pelesl

My Ride: 2000 323Ci
Tried it on a 2000 323 Ci coupe with june 1999 on the engine block and also didn't work.
pelesl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 11:05 PM   #93
nEVERCLEAR

My Ride: 323
Between the two methods available they should work. If you are having problems I would try both methods and make sure you car really conciseness of the times in the process. It is not conceivable that you have a car that is not able to recognize a standard reprogram command. Everyone has used the available methods and they have worked for every model and year so I can only assume operator error.

I am trying to be pleasant, but to complain that it doesn’t work is likely BS and you need to perfect the simple method…

Some people dream of speed-others create a damn jet powered shopping cart.
Curious about VoIP and Vonage click here
nEVERCLEAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 11:07 PM   #94
nEVERCLEAR

Once again we all have the same basic cars, I would look at your methods before saying it doesnt work...

Old 03-20-2006, 09:34 AM   #95
pelesl

Easy, tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by nEVERCLEAR
Between the two methods available they should work. If you are having problems I would try both methods and make sure you car really conciseness of the times in the process. It is not conceivable that you have a car that is not able to recognize a standard reprogram command. Everyone has used the available methods and they have worked for every model and year so I can only assume operator error.
Thanks for being so sure. I tried the "odo reset" method which seemed clear not to work with my car (since it's a 6/99 car) and it did not work - that is, I got the "test" numbers that people have commented on.

I then found this post, which I tried, and it did nothing. I later found http://www.unofficialbmw.com/repair_faqs/sil.html and tried it again, figuring if I had found it twice I must be doing something wrong. This time I did as in the webpage - put the paperclip in first then put the key in and turn it so I could sit in the car and wait for the reset to happen. I put a thick paperclip in there and I made sure it was not loose so unless the connectors are $%@ it was making contact. Went in the car, turned to position two, and waited at least 30 seconds. Nothing happened. Turned it off and then back on and the "service engine soon" light was on as was the warning for "oil service -5000 miles".

Quote:
Originally Posted by nEVERCLEAR
I am trying to be pleasant, but to complain that it doesn’t work is likely BS and you need to perfect the simple method…
Why are you even getting worked up about it? If I'm such an idiot why do you care?
Old 03-20-2006, 10:13 AM   #96
nEVERCLEAR

I was not getting worked up about it. I tried it about 10 times before it worked for me. I dont really car one way or the other, but I have used this method and it works for me.

The problem with posting that it doesnt work is people read it and try to reset the light once and give up on it. The point of the board is too help people and that is hopefully what this post does...

If you read this entire thread many have gotten it too work after trying a few times.

Old 03-25-2006, 07:32 PM   #97
pelesl

An update: I have tried this repeatedly on my 6/99 build 2000 323 Ci to no avail.

I confimed that I am indeed shorting pins 7 and 19 with a multimeter, so I know my "paperclip was good". I leave it on for several seconds, and it doesn't reset the "oilservice" miles-to-go display which appears for a few seconds after turning the key to position 1.

The two procedures I've tried:
A
1. Connect pins 7 and 19 together.
2. Turn key to position 2.
3. Wait several seconds (anywhere between 3 and 30)
4a. Turn off, remove key, put key in, and turn to position 1: "oilservice -#### miles"
4b. Turn off, remove key, remove paperclip, put key in, and turn to position 1: "oilservice -#### miles"

B
1. Turn key to position 2.
2. Connect pins 7 and 19 with paperclip.
3. Wait several seconds (3 to 30)
4. Remove paper clip
5. Turn off, remove key, put key in, turn to position 1: "oilservice -#### miles".

So there are two options:
1. This method does not work on this first build batch.
2. This method doesn't actually clear the miles to next oil service counter, and this thread is about some other light that has never come on in my car.
3. I'm missing a key step which evidently everyone else thinks is obvious.

Any advice, other than "try again", is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 03-26-2006, 01:35 PM   #98
regleouf

My Ride: 316Ti Compact E46
I got this for u:
E46 service interval reset

Keep Button pressed for 5 seconds after key is switched on. Tap button of reset display.

Reset procedure for clusters with SIA IV using the reset mode (possible form 9/99 for E46, MY2001 E52).

• Ignition key must be off.
• Press and hold the trip odometer button in the instrument cluster (left button) and turn the ignition key to the first position.
• Keep the button pressed for approx. 5 seconds until one of the following words appear in the display: "Oil Change" or "Inspection" with "Reset".
• Release the reset button and press and hold again the "Reset "begins to flash.
• While the display is flashing, press the left button briefly to reset the service interval. After the display has shown the new interval, the following will appear:
"End SIA".
The system can only be reset again after 2.5 gal (10 liters) of fuel have been consumed.

Grounding pin seven (7) of the diagnostic connector would reset the service lights. I found that grounding pin seven (7) for ~3 seconds applied to an oil service reset and that ~9 seconds applied to the inspection service reset.

I haven't try myself tbh

Exclusive French language fans site of the Compact.

Last edited by regleouf; 03-26-2006 at 01:37 PM.
regleouf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 02:12 PM   #99
bimmer07
Banned

My Ride: //////////M
Send a message via AIM to bimmer07
my oil service thing hasnt moved in 10,000 miles it says i'm 5176 over due and has since i bought the car.
bimmer07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 02:36 PM   #100
pelesl

Exclamation Got it to work

As mentioned before, the pin grounding method is indeed time-critical. The time to reset the oil counter is exactly 3 seconds, not at least 3 seconds (which is how I interpreted it). Apparently the circuitry is more sophisticated than I thought.

The procedure that I used which worked on my 6/99 build:

1. Put the key in and turn to position 2.
2. Go to the connector. Stick one end of the paper clip firmly in either one of the two pins.
3. Put the other end in the other pin and count to 3 seconds, then pull it out. You may need to practice a few times (i.e. have the paperclip bent correctly) so that you make clean contact the minute you stick it in and so that you can pull it out exactly after the necessary time has elapsed.
4. Turn key to off, then position 1 - and my car now shows "service inspection 15### miles" as expected.

Again - the key is to keep the pin grounded for precisely the ammount necessary, no more, no less.