E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 57 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-05-2006, 03:03 PM   #121
dandan

My Ride: 323i '99
Thumbs Up

I just did it this morning.After a few try.
Make sure the wire is properly contact with pin 7, key on position II (before start the engine)
sometime inside the pin 7 is dirty.
I just connect from pin 7 to the body ground directly(strut bold is a good ground).
it back to 15535 miles

Last edited by dandan; 11-05-2006 at 03:12 PM.
dandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 02:36 PM   #122
vids_blk323Ci
DFW

My Ride: JB 323Ci SP PP
Send a message via AIM to vids_blk323Ci

Dinan Stage I S/W | ACS RSB | ///M FSB |UUC TMEs & Pulleys |Ate Slotted Discs | ScanGuageII | RockyMounts MTB Carrrier | OEM Rear Clears | LED Euro City Lights & Rear Fogs | Two-Tone Suede DIY | ACS Pedals | Bimmian Gauge Rings & M3 Face | Smoked Frnt Corners w/ Luxeon LEDs | EAS CF Roundels | JLevi Ti CF trim | Blk Suede shift/ e-brake boots | ECS Smoked Frnt Bumper Reflectors | DICE Duo
vids_blk323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 11:40 AM   #123
Dev
PSHOPWERKS

My Ride: Yellow Porsche GT2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dev View Post
Hmm, I need to do this again.
Yep, it's been reset now. Priceless info.

Current Hate Level: 10 | Previous Hate Level: 9
The hatin' level on the E46Fanatics.com board.
Dev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 07:25 PM   #124
3o3_E46_323i

My Ride: 1999 BMW 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelesl View Post
As mentioned before, the pin grounding method is indeed time-critical. The time to reset the oil counter is exactly 3 seconds, not at least 3 seconds (which is how I interpreted it). Apparently the circuitry is more sophisticated than I thought.

The procedure that I used which worked on my 6/99 build:

1. Put the key in and turn to position 2.
2. Go to the connector. Stick one end of the paper clip firmly in either one of the two pins.
3. Put the other end in the other pin and count to 3 seconds, then pull it out. You may need to practice a few times (i.e. have the paperclip bent correctly) so that you make clean contact the minute you stick it in and so that you can pull it out exactly after the necessary time has elapsed.
4. Turn key to off, then position 1 - and my car now shows "service inspection 15### miles" as expected.

Again - the key is to keep the pin grounded for precisely the ammount necessary, no more, no less.

This procedure works. Like mentioned, timing has to be correct so no more or no less than 3 secs. I had to do it over 10 times before I got to this post, and followed instructions listed and it worked. Follow these instructions and it will work.
3o3_E46_323i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 08:13 AM   #125
ken@bimmertools
Is NOT A Mechanic

My Ride: E90
I'm a huge proponent of effective, free maintenance. I've done the paper clip trick several times with great success. I believe it's even outlined in the Bentley manual.

If for some reason you're uncomfortable with performing this easy reset, consider the Peake Reset Tool (click photo below). The basic reset tool sells for $49.99, and works on cars through 1999. The R5-FCXII will reset oil service lights as well as read and reset BMW factory engine codes. Models are available for BMWs from 1987-2003 (and some '04s).

Photo links to my site's Peake Research Scan Tool section:

Ken

Bimmertools is under new ownership! Please welcome Taylor@bimmertools.com.
Click Here to say hi.
ken@bimmertools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 09:17 AM   #126
vegito

My Ride: BMW 318i E46 2002
i knew this methode.. a while ago.. like 4 years. I found it in a book haynes manual e36 type. Since that time i reset my inspection and oil service by my self.. . but the people on this forum are great because if your ask a garage how they do it.. they wont tell you a bit so i am very happy that they are tell us this thing. it will save you some cash maybe not much but its a good feeling if you can do it your self. respect.
vegito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 07:43 PM   #127
autowestss23

My Ride: 3-series
wow... it works on mine (00 323i)... Thx Darkmanlfe!!
autowestss23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 06:20 AM   #128
PYRITE

My Ride: 1965 Ford Mustang
Did mine 2 nights ago, thx for the info!

Welcome "KRYPTONITE"...
PYRITE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 09:02 AM   #129
TAMPA_3SERIES

My Ride: 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkonblk330i View Post
Here's another way to reset oil counter on 2001 model

"i found this on some site, maybe helpful for you guys who change oil themselves
You only need to hold the left odometer reset button while turning the key to position 1 (Accessory). Keep holding the button for 5 or so seconds until any of the following shows in the display: OIL SERVICE or INSPECTION with RESET or RE. Release the button and press it again for another 5 or so seconds until RESET or RE flash. While the display flashes, press the button one more time briefly. If done correctly, END SIA should show up for a few seconds. All done. "
I did this method, and it worked on my 00' 323i. I could not find the other electronic device to jump the pins......can anyone tell me where this device is under the hood? What is located near? Pics?? (for future reference)

Thanks
TAMPA_3SERIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 02:30 PM   #130
Dev
PSHOPWERKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAMPA_3SERIES View Post
I did this method, and it worked on my 00' 323i. I could not find the other electronic device to jump the pins......can anyone tell me where this device is under the hood? What is located near? Pics?? (for future reference)

Thanks
If the method you mentioned has worked for you, there's no need for you to use any kind of jumper.

As for pics (see first post if that's what you're referring to).

Old 03-28-2007, 04:09 PM   #131
TAMPA_3SERIES

My Ride: 323i
Yes...I saw the first set of pics...but it does not give me any help on where the device is located. It is too close to the device.
TAMPA_3SERIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 11:09 PM   #132
b33b

My Ride: '01 330CiC '88 535is
Tampa, Check your build date. Late 2000s do not have the multi pin conector under the hood but use the odometer/ignition reset method. Early 2000 and prior years have the multi pin conector.

Enjoy being able to reset from inside the car and not having o find a paper clip.
b33b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 02:27 PM   #133
DropTopKingM3
OG ///Member

My Ride: All German
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra View Post
dude, the data link connector is only for 99-00 models. for your '03, theres a completely different method to reset the light;

B. After Mid-2000: You should not have the 20-pin DLC connector. You only need to hold the left odometer reset button while turning the key to position 1 (Accessory). Keep holding the button for 5 or so seconds until any of the following shows in the display: OIL SERVICE or INSPECTION with RESET or RE. Release the button and press it again for another 5 or so seconds until RESET or RE flash. While the display flashes, press the button one more time briefly. If done correctly, END SIA should show up for a few seconds. All done.
HAHAHAH this is great... I did it once, and it didnt work. I had to bring the laptop in the car with me to read the instructions. Cobra your the man !!

^Don't say my car is topless, say the t!tties is out^
DropTopKingM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 09:11 PM   #134
bungle

My Ride: aristo
where is the od located at i hace a 2000 bmw 323 cici cant seem to find it.the empty compartment is just my traction control.please show me pics where to look thanks a million.
bungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 09:25 PM   #135
manaco

My Ride: 99' 328i
I found this thread on a nice random thread. I need to set my oil service back,since my mechanic didnt do it last time.

Will this effect the sequence in which you get inspection service alerts? Since i bought my car at 60k i havnt seen a inspection 2 indicator, if i reset the oild service will it effect the service inspection indicator?

By the way i did the carfax prior to buying so hopefully there guarentee on accurate milage is true.

any ideas?
manaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 01:32 PM   #136
IanUK

My Ride: 99 328ci se
I just did this and it worked fine. Thanks darkmanlfe
IanUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 07:40 PM   #137
sean0507

My Ride: is where i hide my $
for everyone that is having trouble just draw out the diagrahm and shade the metal pins... the pics here maybe confusing but after shading and drawing in the plastic posts worked first time...
Old 06-13-2007, 01:14 PM   #138
Dev
PSHOPWERKS

Candidate for sticky.

Old 07-13-2007, 10:24 PM   #139
Jeuprx-8

My Ride: rolls only Michelins
Jeuprx-8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 03:22 PM   #140
Polish_328Ci

My Ride: M3
Sweet thanks for the info