E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum

Motorsports & Track Forum
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports – this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2004, 11:35 AM   #1
mfino
I give up.........

My Ride: 00 323i SP-P blk/blk
Any Recommended Sway Bars for Autocross

I'm trying to gather research on Sway Bars, as that will probably be my next upgrade. I'm curious as to what people have, the reason why you went with that product(was it size, weight etc), and if there are any advantages. I'm considering H&R, RD, Eibach, and UUC. Thanks.

ECIS Intake | Shark Injector | Scorpion Exhaust | PG2 style rims, YOKOHAMA AVS ES100 235/40/18 | M3 Lip Spoiler | OEM Clears | Hamann Eyelids | M-Technik Front | M-Technik Sides | M-Aero Rear | 50% Tint | M3 Dead Pedal | MOMO Aluminum Pedals | UUC Gauges |Titanium Shadow Painted Trim
mfino is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-11-2004, 12:45 PM   #2
AndyZHP

My Ride: BMW
I'm running RD's 27 mm front sway bar. I run the stock class, so I am only allowed to swap out the front sway.

RD is about the biggest front sway bar that you can get.
AndyZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 02:55 PM   #3
alken
What's Your Concept?

My Ride: Goes to eleven
I bought UUC's, and will be installing them next week. I'll keep you posted...
Old 03-11-2004, 04:00 PM   #4
tim330i
Owner/Admin

My Ride: 03 Ti Silver M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyZHP
I'm running RD's 27 mm front sway bar. I run the stock class, so I am only allowed to swap out the front sway.

RD is about the biggest front sway bar that you can get.
Andy,

Isn't that hurting your peformance? I would think that is increasing oversteer.
tim330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 04:12 PM   #5
BahnBorn330i

My Ride: 2001 330i Sport
Tim-

Going with a stiffer (I am sure that is not a word) bar in the rear would induce more oversteer.

Andy-

I am a fellow stocker though in DS.

Did you also consider the H&R front bar? How do you like the car with the larger front bar? This is likely the next thing that I will do. This and Konis. You are running Konis if I am not mistaken. Did you get the singles or the doubles? How do you like the Konis?

Take care,

Matthew
Old 03-11-2004, 04:21 PM   #6
tim330i
Owner/Admin

whoops, i meant understeer.
Old 03-11-2004, 05:48 PM   #7
BahnBorn330i

My Ride: 2001 330i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim330i
whoops, i meant understeer.
I figured. The rules for SCCA stock class competition dictate that the rear bar cannot be substituted or otherwise modified. However the front bar is not restricted. All the opinions that I have heard say that going to the largest front bar you can find is the right thing to do. I am not a suspension expert but I am guessing that this might be one of those modifications that dosen't feel faster but can be with the right driving technique.

SCCA stock rule cause folks to do odd things to their cars.

Take care,
Old 03-12-2004, 08:01 AM   #8
mfino
I give up.........

I've gathered the following Data for Swaybar Size (Non M3) but I would imagine it applies to all E46 models.

Manufacturer Front Rear
Stock 24 19
Eibach 27 21
H&R 27 21
UUC 25.4 23.8
RD 27 24
Dinan 24 22

There truly is a great write up on the UUC site in regards to sway bars. And I hope I am understanding this correctly. In comparison, Dinan retained the original diameter for the front, but beefed up the rear in hopes to correct understeer. If just running a 27 while retaining the stock 19 rear, to me, this would seem to really, really, understeer. (but what the hell do I know).

Since my car does not qualify for D stock, I can run both front and rear in the STS group. But the sizes, and options is what I'm having troubles understanding. I would like to buy sways, for the right reason, not just for having sway bars.

I think this thread will have great information. We should also start one for Shocks/Springs, as I already see interest in Koni's Running single / double etc.... Thanks

ECIS Intake | Shark Injector | Scorpion Exhaust | PG2 style rims, YOKOHAMA AVS ES100 235/40/18 | M3 Lip Spoiler | OEM Clears | Hamann Eyelids | M-Technik Front | M-Technik Sides | M-Aero Rear | 50% Tint | M3 Dead Pedal | MOMO Aluminum Pedals | UUC Gauges |Titanium Shadow Painted Trim
Old 03-12-2004, 08:30 AM   #9
Gladius

My Ride: 2001 LSB M3
Bimmerhaus is doing the Koni/H&R/H&R shock/spring/sways upgrade for me next week, then we have a local autoX next weekend. I shall report my findings at that time I'm doing front and rear H&Rs primarily because I don't care about the SCCA ratings, I only run in the local BMWCCA club AXs and can still be in DS with front and rear.

'08 E90 6MT SparkG/Black All options (except extended leather) || E46 M3 Track wheels for sale || E46 M3 AFE CAI for sale || E46 M3 CSL reps for sale
Gladius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 09:55 AM   #10
malakia12

My Ride: 05 Xterra, 05 Sentra
Send a message via AIM to malakia12
mfino>" I would like to buy sways, for the right reason, not just for having sway bars."

me too, that is the only other suspension mod i have left to do and i am also not sure what is the best overall setup for street/autox
Old 03-12-2004, 09:58 AM   #11
tim330i
Owner/Admin

It is my understanding that they key is having a balanced set of bars. Several companies simply increase the stock size by X % which would be increasing the stock tendancy to understeer. It would see that adding a larger bar with no upgrade to the rear would also do this. I would think that it might be better to downgrade the front bar in an attempt to balance the car.
Old 03-12-2004, 10:12 AM   #12
malakia12

tim330>sorry for the dumb question, but what do you mean downgrade? getting a smaller front sway bar? or keepint the front stock and upgrading the rear?
Old 03-12-2004, 11:52 AM   #13
Mr Paddle.Shift
PhD Mech. Eng.

My Ride: B3 epsilon
What Tim is saying is that our E46 already has a tendency to understeer from the factory setup. Reason being studies have shown that drivers (regular not race/track) tend to have more time to react in an understeering situation.

Adding a stiffer front bar will induce even more understeer. Hence, the ideal approach is to stiffen up the rear bar while leaving the front as it is, until you find a neutral handling setup. Ideal that is.

Also, bear in mind that a thicker bar do not necessarrily imply a stiffer setup. The material of the bar has to be taken into account. Afterall, different material has different stress/strain properties. Note that some bars are hollow as well.

Technik Engineering ASA Stage 1.
Supercharged E46 M54B25.
2011 NASA TTC So Cal Champion!
Track blog.
Technik Engineering oil cap o-ring maintenance kit available.
Mr Paddle.Shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 03:13 PM   #14
mfino
I give up.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Paddle.Shift
Note that some bars are hollow as well.
Great Point. In my ignorance, I was thinking all sways were tubular, but does anyone know which manufacturers produce them Solid vs. Hollow? Thanks again.

Old 03-15-2004, 12:40 AM   #15
Spiral Prophet
Über-Geek

My Ride: '01 Topaz Blue 330ci
Send a message via AIM to Spiral  Prophet
I'm runnin the uuc sways... i love em.. let me dial out all the understeer and and even put in a lil oversteer... after a lil tinkerin i've got my car handeling perfectly.. all setup for SCCA DSP class...

~T|/\/\
Spiral  Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 10:03 AM   #16
mfino
I give up.........

Just curious on what tire setup are you running with. Is this a staggered setup as well? That would definitely help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiral Prophet
I'm runnin the uuc sways... i love em.. let me dial out all the understeer and and even put in a lil oversteer... after a lil tinkerin i've got my car handeling perfectly.. all setup for SCCA DSP class...

~T|/\/\

Old 03-15-2004, 11:23 AM   #17
Mr Paddle.Shift
PhD Mech. Eng.

My Ride: B3 epsilon
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfino
Great Point. In my ignorance, I was thinking all sways were tubular, but does anyone know which manufacturers produce them Solid vs. Hollow? Thanks again.
Pardon the late reply. Forgot to subscribe to this thread.

Yes, I believe most antiroll bars today should be tubular. Then again the differences in the internal diameter do make a different. I am just being as theoretical as possible. I've got the so called "Racing Dynamics" bars and frankly, it felt very heavy compared to the other bars I handled before, hence my suspicion that it's not that tubular.

Whatever it is, get a set of bars that fit your budget and your liking. Understeer/Oversteer issues can be fine-tuned through other variables.

Technik Engineering ASA Stage 1.
Supercharged E46 M54B25.
2011 NASA TTC So Cal Champion!
Track blog.
Technik Engineering oil cap o-ring maintenance kit available.
Mr Paddle.Shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 11:51 AM   #18
mfino
I give up.........

Thanks. I think I have narrowed my choices down to RD and UUC. You are correct in saying I could always handle the understeer/oversteer issues throught other variables. I'll try and see whcih are the lightest and go from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Paddle.Shift
Pardon the late reply. Forgot to subscribe to this thread.

Yes, I believe most antiroll bars today should be tubular. Then again the differences in the internal diameter do make a different. I am just being as theoretical as possible. I've got the so called "Racing Dynamics" bars and frankly, it felt very heavy compared to the other bars I handled before, hence my suspicion that it's not that tubular.

Whatever it is, get a set of bars that fit your budget and your liking. Understeer/Oversteer issues can be fine-tuned through other variables.

Old 03-15-2004, 12:44 PM   #19
malakia12

hey guys, i don't know exactly when and how much, but Hotchiks(don't know if spelled right) is bringing sways for our cars. i know a lot of their products are/have been track tested for other cars, might be worth looking at. but they are still in development
Old 03-16-2004, 10:59 AM   #20
AndyZHP

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim330i
Andy,

Isn't that hurting your peformance? I would think that is increasing oversteer.
Hey Tim, sorry for the late response, I too forgot to subscribe to this thread and just now saw all of the replies.

I purchased my Konis and RD front sway and installed them at the same time. I originally set the front bar to full stiff, but the car's front end pushed like a dozer in the corners (major understeer). I then set the bar to full soft and it helped the understeer quite a bit. I've also made a couple adjustments to my shocks and am running 265 wide tires all the way around, which has helped to eliminate [some of] the understeer. The car is feeling very neutral now, however I do notice a little understeer at corner exit.

The larger front sway bar has seemed to really reduce the body roll up front... but then again a lot of that could be from the stiff settings I have on my Konis. My car has no to very little body roll now, which has really helped improve my auto-x times.

My first auto-x of the season with my new setup helped me to get a 1st place finish in B Stock!!
AndyZHP is offline   Reply With Quote