E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2002, 06:59 AM   #1
rodney

My Ride: 2001 330xi
For those who've installed the steering wheel interface...

Where did you mount the remote sensor? What's the best location for this? TIA!
rodney is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-03-2002, 08:05 AM   #2
deputydog95

My Ride: Looking for a 330...
You mean the remote projector, right?

It's mounted on the steering column next to the ingition. It points at my alpine deck. you can't even really see it. doesn't work very good in bright day light with the windows down though. have to switch to the remote.
deputydog95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 08:45 AM   #3
rodney

My Ride: 2001 330xi
Thanks for the info... I'll tell the installers to place it there then.
rodney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 10:43 AM   #4
biggiestuff

My Ride: E46 POS
Send a message via AIM to biggiestuff
I've seen some pics of it on the dome where that thing that looks like an air filter is. It's inside there so you can't see it at all and it points towards the alpine HU.
biggiestuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 10:48 AM   #5
Munich
Happy

My Ride: Volvo S40 2005
Quote:
Originally posted by biggiestuff
I've seen some pics of it on the dome where that thing that looks like an air filter is. It's inside there so you can't see it at all and it points towards the alpine HU.

I have seen the same, and it is kinda neat in there.
Munich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 11:44 PM   #6
deputydog95

My Ride: Looking for a 330...
The only problem with that

is that the further away you get, the worse these things work. It is not nearly as powerful as the radio remote. Sunlight on the head unit severely detracts from the performance of this piece. The closer the better. I would image that daylight performance mounted up near the headliner would be very poor. Stick to the steering column. The transmitter is so small, no one will see it anyway.
deputydog95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2002, 12:39 AM   #7
RR BuGGz

My Ride: '10 Alp White 135i
Send a message via AIM to RR BuGGz
I've got mine in the air filter housing. Here's a pic: http://www.bimmervibe.com/phorum/sho...&pagenumber=2.

Haven't had any signal problems there whatsoever. I used to have it mounted in the between the shift boot and the shift trim and had crazy signal problems there.
RR BuGGz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2002, 02:39 AM   #8
biggiestuff

My Ride: E46 POS
Send a message via AIM to biggiestuff
Quote:
Originally posted by RR BuGGz
I've got mine in the air filter housing. Here's a pic: http://www.bimmervibe.com/phorum/sho...&pagenumber=2.

Haven't had any signal problems there whatsoever. I used to have it mounted in the between the shift boot and the shift trim and had crazy signal problems there.
How hard was it to install there?
biggiestuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2002, 03:25 AM   #9
Josh330

My Ride: ACS 330ci, X5 4.6
I mounted mine the same way (btw- it's not an air filter, it's for the motion censors for the alarm) Works every time, the distance is not a problem, and the angle is perfect.

To install it you will have to extend the wire it comes with. (used a regular phone cord) It's just a matter of pulling the door trim away and sending it through above the headliner.
Josh330 is offline   Reply With Quote