E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2002, 03:40 PM   #1
biggiestuff

My Ride: E46 POS
Send a message via AIM to biggiestuff
Audio Install quote!! :yikes:

So I emailed my local audio shop installer and they quoted me 1K - 1.2K for an install that would look clean like this. I think it's outrageous but they said they had to modify the A/C vents and do some paintwork and after it's done the faceplate will not be removable. Is this kinda steep or does something like this really cost that much?

http://images.cardomain.com/installs...42_28_full.jpg
biggiestuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-03-2002, 03:43 PM   #2
vinnymac
St. Louis BMW Fanatic

My Ride: 2011 335is
Send a message via AIM to vinnymac
Unhappy

Over $1000 for just the labor?
vinnymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 03:44 PM   #3
bender
hammer talks like this

My Ride: 2006 Honda insight
Send a message via AIM to bender
i dont think that looks that pretty. who did you call? houston custom car stero?
bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 03:44 PM   #4
biggiestuff

Quote:
Originally posted by vinnymac
Over $1000 for just the labor?
Well I'm finding out right now. Sent him another email. Hopefully he'll give me a better deal if I bring in my own audio components.
Old 07-03-2002, 03:44 PM   #5
snowboard_barbie

My Ride: 2001 330XI
Send a message via AIM to snowboard_barbie
too much
Old 07-03-2002, 03:45 PM   #6
bender
hammer talks like this

Quote:
Originally posted by biggiestuff

Well I'm finding out right now. Sent him another email. Hopefully he'll give me a better deal if I bring in my own audio components.
most places charge more when you bring your own stuff.
Old 07-03-2002, 03:45 PM   #7
als
Aku. Soku. Zan.

My Ride: 2002 325i
How come the head unit can be centered? I thought it should be more to the left side.

als is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 03:46 PM   #8
bender
hammer talks like this

Quote:
Originally posted by als
How come the head unit can be centered? I thought it should be more to the left side.

modified the kit. thats probably why the labor was so high. or it might be a custom made kit.
Old 07-03-2002, 03:48 PM   #9
wyu
Almost stock

My Ride: a bmw
Send a message via AIM to wyu
I'm guessing thats why they are charging so much. Since they would have to modify vents and such to make it fit in the center like that. Looks like they have to modify the lower storage area as well, I don't think that DVD player would fit in there otherwise...

Quote:
Originally posted by als

wyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 03:48 PM   #10
als
Aku. Soku. Zan.

My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally posted by bender

modified the kit. thats probably why the labor was so high. or it might be a custom made kit.
It looks good but it's not worth the labor cost...
als is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 03:51 PM   #11
biggiestuff

the part that I'm worried about is if the modifications to the A/C vents would be problematic in the long run.
Old 07-03-2002, 03:52 PM   #12
biggiestuff

Quote:

YOu know anyone who could do something like this? it looks so sweet. One of the reasons why I haven't switched out HU's already is because of the weird left justified look, but I love this modification here though.
Old 07-03-2002, 03:53 PM   #13
Craig
The G.O.A.T. is Baccckkkkk!

My Ride: 09' AW E92 335i
Custom work merit's higher costs guys that's just the nature of the beast. Plus as Mr. Bender say's when u bring your own components which aren't always new the shop charges a bit higher rates to deal with less than new products which usually require more work. Kinda unfair to say it's to pricey since none of u are doing the labor required to make the finished product what the customers asking for. My 2 cents
Old 07-03-2002, 04:01 PM   #14
bender
hammer talks like this

Quote:

YOu know anyone who could do something like this? it looks so sweet. One of the reasons why I haven't switched out HU's already is because of the weird left justified look, but I love this modification here though.
cartoys, mobile one(audio express) and houston custom car stero... expect HCCS to be expensive... mobile one to be janky... cartoys is the place to go!
Old 07-03-2002, 04:01 PM   #15
biggiestuff

Quote:
Originally posted by Craig
Custom work merit's higher costs guys that's just the nature of the beast. Plus as Mr. Bender say's when u bring your own components which aren't always new the shop charges a bit higher rates to deal with less than new products which usually require more work. Kinda unfair to say it's to pricey since none of u are doing the labor required to make the finished product what the customers asking for. My 2 cents
well the HU i want is 499.99 so 1K is about 500 dollars for the install which isn't too unreasonable for the kind of work they do. They used to be the outsource audio install company for BMW here in Houston. But if I bought the HU myself I know I can get a good deal on it, and hopefully they won't charge me too much for labor.
Old 07-03-2002, 04:02 PM   #16
biggiestuff

Quote:

cartoys, mobile one(audio express) and houston custom car stero... expect HCCS to be expensive... mobile one to be janky... cartoys is the place to go!
That is a biased opinion!!
Old 07-03-2002, 04:04 PM   #17
bender
hammer talks like this

Quote:

That is a biased opinion!!
i guess but its the truth. HCCS charged $300 for this guys S4 for a deck and speakers...cartoys would have charged $57.50 if radio was bought there. mobile one would have charged around the same... oh but wait they have free or $1 install bahahhahahah...
Old 07-03-2002, 04:15 PM   #18
biggiestuff

Quote:

i guess but its the truth. HCCS charged $300 for this guys S4 for a deck and speakers...cartoys would have charged $57.50 if radio was bought there. mobile one would have charged around the same... oh but wait they have free or $1 install bahahhahahah...
If ya'll could do a job like the one I posted I would highly consider it
Old 07-03-2002, 04:26 PM   #19
RR BuGGz

My Ride: '10 Alp White 135i
Send a message via AIM to RR BuGGz
I also did something similar.http://www.bimmervibe.com/phorum/sho...=&threadid=100. Basically it's a modified Scoshe kit. It didn't cost me much to have it done. It's not 100% perfect but looks OK. I think it would have came out better if I used a Metra or American radio kit b/c they don't have that uneven curve on the trim like the Scoshe. If they are quoting you $1000-$1200 with the cost of the radio included it's a little pricey but not that bad.
RR BuGGz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 04:27 PM   #20
Amir

My Ride: shoes
just save yourself the money and time and just buy the head unit and the dash kit, get it installed....will perform the exact same function....
Amir is offline   Reply With Quote