E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-23-2004, 07:40 PM   #1
PDACPA

My Ride: 03 Dinan M3
Wider aftermarket DVD player??

Does anyone make a system with a pop out and up screen that fits in the center of the openning where the old BMW Business CD system was orginially? Every aftermarket one is your normal car stereo size and off center.

Personally I would prefer that the system fill the width better and thus look more OEM.

Does anyone make something like that?

2003 03 BMW M3 Dinan (Carbon Black)
Carrera 911 Guards Red (Garage Queen)
2002 02 BMW Dinan 330Ci (Steel Gray) - Sold
PDACPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-24-2004, 06:59 AM   #2
ca1242

My Ride: 2003 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDACPA
Does anyone make a system with a pop out and up screen that fits in the center of the openning where the old BMW Business CD system was orginially? Every aftermarket one is your normal car stereo size and off center.

Personally I would prefer that the system fill the width better and thus look more OEM.

Does anyone make something like that?
The factory radio is offset too. The face just extends to the right to make it look centered. If you want to center an aftermarket radio, then the only option is to do a little cutting, mount the radio and do a custom trim plate.
Old 03-24-2004, 08:54 AM   #3
sansan

My Ride: '11 Cayenne S
Send a message via AIM to sansan
if you want a bigger fixed screen which looks oem... search for srcst. He makes awesome custom trims for a pioneer system. For the whole system, it will run you around 2 grand... that's for a brain, screen, cd changer, gps system, and his custom trim panel.
sansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 09:17 AM   #4
PDACPA

The business CD fills the span between the openning with the volume knob far left and the RDS and other buttons to the far right with the CD slot centered.

The aftermarket standard sized head units are all that smaller size that was designed for much older cars. I just wondered why no company makes a more stretched sized unit (stretched L to R and Top to bottom) so you could get a more OEM look.

The trim plates that match the interior always have the head unit off center to the left (closer to the driver) and I just hate how it looks making me more willing to stick with my OEM unit.

I will search for that guy to see some pics of his install, but thats high for what I would want to spend on it.

Thanks for the info.

Old 03-24-2004, 10:25 AM   #5
sansan

Here's a link to his website:

www.mybimmer.net
Old 03-24-2004, 10:35 AM   #6
PDACPA

Now the top left picture on that website looks good. Its the lower left that I do not like. However the lower left picture does have the head unit centered in the trim piece.

Is the top picture just a display or an entire unit?

edit: I did not click the picture. I see thats a display and then you buy the pioneer. That looks like what I would like to do. Wonder the cost.

Old 03-24-2004, 10:41 AM   #7
PDACPA

That looks sharp! How does it work? Do you have a remote that switches between radio and DVD or do the buttons on the bottom control all that. The unit is not a NAV though correct?

The Pioneer unit runs under $500 and the other part he says you need is $50 besides what his trim piece costs. That is pretty inexpensive if you can do the install your self. Am I missing something here?

I did not see a DIY on the install, do you know of one? Man I am asleep today. Just found the FAQ.

Old 03-24-2004, 01:36 PM   #8
sansan

I've been gathering the parts for the last couple of weeks. Here's a cost breakdown if you want GPS/NAV as well.

Pioneer Screen - $230
Pioneer Brain - $400-500
Pioneer AVIC 9 or 90 Nav system - $850 will play DVD's and does Nav
Pioneer DVD or CD changer - depends on what you want, but you can pick up a used Pioneer CD changer for around $80-100, DVD changer will be around 400-500
PAC-SWIX, allows you to use your steering wheel controls with an aftermarket head unit - $50
Oh and the custom trim piece is around $450-500, expensive but high quality.

Install.. do it yourself and have fun...!!
Old 03-24-2004, 03:02 PM   #9
PDACPA

Price tag is in the $2k range. What could I do to lessen the price, but keep the options open to add components?

I need the following (or did I miss something critical?):

Pioneer Scree $ 200
Pioneer Brain $ 400
PAC $50
Trim piece $500 (that is direct from the guy whose website you posted?)

That would be $1,150.

Am I correct that I can skip the Nav at $850 and the addon DVD player for 80-500?

I am guessing by skipping the nav and dvd I would just get the audio displays on the screen and no movies. Not sure what other items display with out having the NAv and DVD.

Old 03-24-2004, 03:29 PM   #10
sansan

I found the screen, brain, and all the other Pioneer things on Ebay. Email Rich (SRCSTC) if you want a trim piece and get a quote from him.

I would think that you would want a CD changer also. The brain only has an AM/FM tuner so I would think you would want a changer at least.
Old 03-24-2004, 04:01 PM   #11
PDACPA

You are correct about the CD changer, I would want that ability and it would eliminate the need to buy the 6 disc changer that goes in the trunk of the car. Though I was thinking that it might be a good place to put all the components in the left side of the trunk where the 6 changer and or nav stuff goes. I have the HK system so I have a sub up under my rear deck.

Old 03-24-2004, 05:22 PM   #12
03Gator330i

My Ride: 330i Sedan Sprt&Prem
LCD screen

Where are you guys getting screen so cheap from? I cannot find it cheaper than 400 on the net...Any info would be great.
03Gator330i is offline   Reply With Quote