E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-16-2004, 11:10 PM   #1
Wkerat

My Ride: 2001 BMW 325i
Adding a amp to HK

Is there a way to wire in a amp without removing anything. I heard you could connect one in off of one of the 6x9's (maybe a connectoer that goes into the plug and was wondering if anyone knew how, or another easy way (is there a remote wire going to one of the 6x9's and where do they recieve their input from?) Thanks for any help you can offer
Wkerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-16-2004, 11:30 PM   #2
Tenchi
Just a Brand-wh0re Elitist

My Ride: 330i, 535i
Send a message via AIM to Tenchi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wkerat
Is there a way to wire in a amp without removing anything. I heard you could connect one in off of one of the 6x9's (maybe a connectoer that goes into the plug and was wondering if anyone knew how, or another easy way (is there a remote wire going to one of the 6x9's and where do they recieve their input from?) Thanks for any help you can offer

try the ICE forum

Quote:
Stay away from FedEx if you want your packages delivered in one piece.
Tenchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 01:39 PM   #3
anups

My Ride: 2001 330ci
Subwoofer amp

I've installed a mono subwoofer amp with a 12" Eclips subwoofer in the trunk. With my experience and recommendation, it is wiser to disconnect the 6x9's in the rear dash, throw in an inline converter, and amplify the signal that the deck puts out to the 6x9's to the new amp. That way the low crossover in the receiver goes to the sub. Sounds great in my car. Yes, the 6x9's just sit there, but it doesn't bother me since i have crisp high's and low lows.

Of course this is all if you meant amplifying the sub and not the existing system.
anups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 02:21 PM   #4
e46CI

My Ride: 2000 S4, 2004 R6
Quote:
HKs rattle like a SOB the way things are now... i can only imagine the intense rattle when u crank up the power going to the rear deck

either way, good luck and if you ever get it done, let us know how it works out.
Old 03-17-2004, 02:25 PM   #5
Wkerat

Mine has never rattled at all so hopefully it will stay the same way, I just have to figure out how to do it...I would not mind keeping the 6x9's so i have some midbass.
Old 03-17-2004, 03:31 PM   #6
unionjack
Conceited Prick

My Ride: 997.2 C2S
Here ya go!

Image courtesy of VinnyMac.
Old 03-17-2004, 05:26 PM   #7
Wkerat

Thanks, that is exactly what I needed.

Does anyone know what the h/k subs are rated at rms wise, I may wire it so they are used specifically as midbasses.
Old 03-17-2004, 07:35 PM   #8
sycE46

My Ride: 323ci
You can also use a JL amp. The JL amps can take the balanced outputs of the stock deck.
sycE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 02:24 PM   #9
OmarVelous

My Ride: 325ci silver 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by unionjack
Here ya go!

Image courtesy of VinnyMac.
Wouldn't the Line Output Converter be placed on the wires coming from the HU B4 it gets to the factory Amp?

From what i understsand, this picture has it as coming between the factory amp and 6 x 9.
OmarVelous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 04:36 AM   #10
sycE46

My Ride: 323ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmarVelous
Wouldn't the Line Output Converter be placed on the wires coming from the HU B4 it gets to the factory Amp?

From what i understsand, this picture has it as coming between the factory amp and 6 x 9.
With line out converters, you take take the amplified signal to convert to low level line level singals.

BMW uses a balanced differential output from the deck. You need an amp that can use balanced diff outputs, or just use a speaker level line out converter from the speaker outputs from the stock amp.
sycE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 04:35 PM   #11
OmarVelous

My Ride: 325ci silver 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by sycE46
With line out converters, you take take the amplified signal to convert to low level line level singals.

BMW uses a balanced differential output from the deck. You need an amp that can use balanced diff outputs, or just use a speaker level line out converter from the speaker outputs from the stock amp.

ok got ya.

But as for the remote turn on, i would splice the wire between the HU and the Amp right?

Also where can i get these things to splice-tap in online?

Thanks
OmarVelous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 10:15 AM   #12
bazzman

My Ride: E39 M5 03/2000
Quote:
Does anyone know what the h/k subs are rated at rms wise, I may wire it so they are used specifically as midbasses.
The h/k subs are rated with 32W / 2Ohm each.

Paolo
bazzman is offline   Reply With Quote