E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum

The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum
Use this forum to discuss anything in relation to wheels to tires to offsets.
Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-23-2004, 11:27 PM   #1
Soju Shots

My Ride: Jet Black Hamannfied
KUMHO Tires-->Good or Bad?

i need to get some new tires and need your help!
i dont have that much to spend on them...about $115 each. so about $450-$475 for all four.

225/40/18

looked into the Kumho Ecsta 712...great price ($96 tirerack), but are these any good, or am i just gonna waste my money on these? anyone ridding on them that can give me any type of feedback? (ie. road noise, vibration???)

whats most important in order:

1. road noise
2. vibration
3. durability
4. grip/handling/performance

so just throw out some brands for me to consider!

OnE~!
Soju Shots is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-24-2004, 12:09 AM   #2
MrMotorwerk
Der Meisterstück

My Ride: '02 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soju Shots
i need to get some new tires and need your help!
i dont have that much to spend on them...about $115 each. so about $450-$475 for all four.

225/40/18

looked into the Kumho Ecsta 712...great price ($96 tirerack), but are these any good, or am i just gonna waste my money on these? anyone ridding on them that can give me any type of feedback? (ie. road noise, vibration???)

whats most important in order:

1. road noise
2. vibration
3. durability
4. grip/handling/performance

so just throw out some brands for me to consider!

OnE~!
I wouldnt use Kumhos but there is always people that swear by them. You should read the Tire Rack Feedbacks on this tire.

As far as your importance list.
Grip, handling and performance usually equals bad durability, minimal road noise and vibration.

The softer the tire compound, the better the grip but this means that durablility goes way down

Hard tire compounds usually mean great durability but really bad grip as the compound is usually harder and therefore make really noisy tires.
Old 03-24-2004, 07:34 AM   #3
Gary@Tirerack

My Ride: 1995 BMW M3
Go up a bit in price to $101 each and get the Kumho KH11, which will be quieter and a bit longer wear than the Ecsta 712.

http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BN4&...ires/index.jsp

Click sig! -->

Gary@Tirerack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 06:29 PM   #4
wluk

My Ride: 330Ci
I am going to get a set of Falken FK-451. I am getting a lot of positive feedbacks for those tires and the tread looks much better than the Kumho. Unfortunately Tire Rack doesn't carry Falken.
wluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 06:31 PM   #5
mesmer

My Ride: m3
everyone here is smokin crack.. kuhmo is hella good for the money. ive ridden on dunlops, pirellis, etc. and kuhmos ride super nice. 3/4 of the cost and you still get a great tire that looks as agressive as it performs (unlike some other tires i know..) You cant go wrong bro, Ive had the best treadwear from my kuhmos vs. other brands and Ive always had slammed cars. as for road noise, you got me bro, im deaf in one ear. they seem quite to me, and they are for sure wuieter than the pirelli rossos i took off to put these on..
mesmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 08:36 PM   #6
BGReddy00
09 X5

My Ride: 2009 X5
I just got some they beat Michlen in most of the ratings for half the price..I heard they would be a lot of road noise and so far..I dont notice any diffrence from the stock continentals..they have great thread pattern, and so far they look like their worth the money to me!
Old 03-24-2004, 09:52 PM   #7
Soju Shots

ok guys, i just talked to a guy at Tire Rack about the Kumho 712s and he just informed me that these wont work well in the wet and snow(winter). SOOO it looks like i need to get "all season" tires.

he recommended the:

SUMITOMO HTR+ $106
CONTINENTAL ContiExtreme Contact $122

what do you guys think?
have anyone ever even use these tires b4?
heard of them...
havent heard anyone from the forum talkin about these tires...

thanks guys...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary@Tirerack
Go up a bit in price to $101 each and get the Kumho KH11, which will be quieter and a bit longer wear than the Ecsta 712.

Old 03-24-2004, 10:10 PM   #8
Soju Shots

i just ran across the KUHMO KH11... $101
what are the comments about these?

or

Quote:

Old 03-24-2004, 10:37 PM   #9
ishoong

My Ride: 328i
It seems like Kumho 712 got a lot of complains on bubbling. I am considering P-Zero Nero M+S. The price for 225/40/18 are ~$129 from tire rack and seems like very good rating. So Gary, do you have ne comment on this tire and where is this tire made? since if it made in USA(I am from Canada) I can save a 8% tax, if I order from tirerack.
ishoong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 10:45 PM   #10
gmhl10
Resident CF Whore

My Ride: '05 A08 M3
Send a message via AIM to gmhl10 Send a message via MSN to gmhl10
I don't know...
I wouldn't buy Kumho on the sole basis probably because it's Korean.
Since I don't really care for Korean cars... I kinda put Korean auto stuff along with that~~~
Other than that, I have no experience with it whatsoever, so you probably don't need to take my comment into much consideration

BTW... You can find Falken wheels at Supreme Power Parts (also another one of our sponsors). Talk to Eric or Manu, they can hook you up with Falkens.
Sorry to go off-topic a little bit, but the Falken GRB FK451 has a lot of tramlining due to the grooves in the tires. They're made to slick back the rainwater though and they do it well.

gmhl10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 11:05 PM   #11
Soju Shots

Gary...

after lookin at ur site (tire rack) i am now leaning towards the Continental ContiExtreme Contacts after reading the high reviews it got.

but...there is no review/rating for the KUHMO ASX...
why is that?

i am now down to these two brand/tires for "all season."

which one do you think will be the best tire for me? (ASX or ContiExtreme)
(i need the quieter one with better traction)

thanks

Quote:

Old 03-25-2004, 07:14 AM   #12
Gary@Tirerack

My Ride: 1995 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soju Shots
Gary...

after lookin at ur site (tire rack) i am now leaning towards the Continental ContiExtreme Contacts after reading the high reviews it got.

but...there is no review/rating for the KUHMO ASX...
why is that?

i am now down to these two brand/tires for "all season."

which one do you think will be the best tire for me? (ASX or ContiExtreme)
(i need the quieter one with better traction)

thanks
The ASX is too new to have any ratings or testing info yet. It might be a great tire, but we don't know at this point. If you're needing all all season tire I'd consider The Pzero Nero M+S, Sumitomo HTR+ or Conti Extreme Contact.

Click sig! -->

Gary@Tirerack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 03:44 PM   #13
Ro

My Ride: '01 325i | '01 IS300
I've had the 712's on my Lexus and I thought they were excellent tire for the money. I didn't experience any bubbling on them and they wear pretty well.
Ro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 04:49 PM   #14
kwang125

My Ride: 323i
i have recently purchase the conti-extremes. they are great tires. no experience with snow performance yet. they are a bit mushy/soft when cornering. a little louder than the conti-sport oem tires. i didn't find any flat spot problem. very good tires for all season. plus, they are great bang/buck.
kwang125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 07:23 PM   #15
BGReddy00
09 X5

My Ride: 2009 X5
[QUOTE=Soju Shots]ok guys, i just talked to a guy at Tire Rack about the Kumho 712s and he just informed me that these wont work well in the wet and snow(winter). SOOO it looks like i need to get "all season" tires.

It has rained everyday this week down here in florida and no problems at all I think they have a lot better traction then the continentals I had on my stock wheels..also I really think continental is garbage I went through 2 sets in 30k..
Old 03-25-2004, 09:51 PM   #16
Soju Shots

finally...

thanks for all the info guys...

i finally decided to shell out a little more cash and get the Pirelli PZero Nero (m&s).

a little more than i wanted to spend...but hey...think it will prove better in the long run!

keep modin' it ups guys!