E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 03-25-2004, 10:05 AM   #1
FFWD

My Ride: 99 323i, 01 M3 Cab
OBD II - P1622: Map Cooling Thermostat Control Circuit Electrical?

The engine light on my 99 323i came on and I borrowed a friend's ODBII reader (http://www.iequus.com/item.asp?cid=10&pid=3100) and got the following code:

P1622 - Map Cooling Thermostat Control Circuit Electrical

Also, the "O" icon (oxygen sensor) was flashing, indicating the test did not complete for the oxygen sensor.

Does anyone know what this means in layman's terms, and whether or not the diagnostic code and the oxygen sensor issues are related or separate? Also, if there is a problem with the O2 sensor, how can I tell which one it is (apprently there are at least two of them).

By the way, I recently noticed that when the car is idling or at low RPMS, the automatic climate control blows cold air through the vents, but when I run the engine at higher RPMs, hot air comes out - not sure if this is also related.

Thanks!

Last edited by FFWD; 03-25-2004 at 10:08 AM.
FFWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-25-2004, 10:56 AM   #2
chopper

My Ride: Volvo 854T (for now)
What has your temp gauge been doing?
chopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 11:32 AM   #3
FFWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper
What has your temp gauge been doing?
Temp guage is showing no signs of any probs, working as usual with needle in proper area (midway) when engine is at normal operating temp. No excessively long warmup period, and no indication of overheating.
Old 03-29-2004, 08:10 PM   #4
Robmd

My Ride: 328i
hey man, i have the exact same problem with my vehicle. My thermostat gauge goes all the way to the red portion when it's really cold outside. and i keep on getting the same code u got. Just wondering if u fixed that problem. Let me know please, this **** is really bothering me. Thanks. Good luck.
Robmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 10:03 PM   #5
BWMguy206

My Ride: '98 M3 and '07 335i
your thermostat is stuck open. needs to be replaced.
BWMguy206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 08:44 AM   #6
Robmd

My Ride: 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWMguy206
Anyone know the price on a thermostat? and if i was to replace it, will I have to remove the water pump too????
Robmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 10:30 AM   #7
chopper

My Ride: Volvo 854T (for now)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmd
Anyone know the price on a thermostat? and if i was to replace it, will I have to remove the water pump too????
NO, should be able to do t-stat without touching water pump. Be wary that unless you drain the radiator you will probably spill a bit of anti-freeze.
chopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 09:06 PM   #8
FFWD

Are you replying to me or Rob?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWMguy206
Old 03-30-2004, 10:28 PM   #9
nEVERCLEAR

My Ride: 323
I just chaged mine. Is is really easy if you do not have the clutch fan. If you do follow the instructions floating on the forums for changing the pullies to rogues as far as removing the fan. There are two clip type connectors for the radiator hoses and 5-6 bolts holding it on. Drain the coolant and flush since you have to replace some soolant due to spillage anyways.

The thermostat at my excessively expensive stealer is around 45.00. It will take about 1-2 hours with 2 hours being closer if you have a clutch fan not electric.

Good Luck, everyone with high miles should do this as prevention. If you have an older water pump it is a good time to replace this as well. I paid 65.00 for a W/P at Napa Auto. So for around 125.00 you get a new thermostat, W/P and a coolant flush. Cheaper than A BMW coolant flush more than likely. I did my whole thing for what the W/P cost at the dealership.

Now I need to replace the adj. puller since that was what was making the nosie in the first place
nEVERCLEAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 10:31 PM   #10
nEVERCLEAR

My Ride: 323
Oh Yeah, If you do have the clutch fan, use a 10" crescent wrench and hit the handle quickly and precisely to loosen the fan. I sprayed WD for a day or two before hand and it came off quickly once I used this method. BTW it is reverse threaded so looking at the motor from the front it turns clockwise to loosen.
nEVERCLEAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 04:07 PM   #11
rzarezai

My Ride: 1999 328i
Hey man. I'm new to the forum, I just purchased an E46 sedan, I have the same symptoms as you. My car is throwing the p1622 code, but the needle reads fine. What did you do and did it work?
rzarezai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 05:37 PM   #12
howzer

My Ride: 2012 128i
tstat

Replace the Tstat, like he said above it is stuck open therefore the needle still stays in the middle as it should since its hot outside. If it was around 30 degrees outside your needle would be like in the blue or inbetween the blue and middle where the Tstat is stuck open, its not regulating the temperature properly.
howzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 08:32 PM   #13
FFWD

Yes, replace the thermostat sooner than later

Sorry, never got around to updating my situation. It was the thermostat, but I decided to ride it out since the car was running fine. A year and a half later, on a particularly hot and humid day, my engine overheated on the highway during rush hour. The coolant overflow reservoir cracked from the heat, so I was stranded. I ended up having to pay $300 for the reservoir from the dealer, another $200 for the tow truck, and a couple of days without my car. All because I was just too lazy to have the thermostat replaced, which was covered under my extended warranty. And the heater problem was because of low coolant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by howzer
Replace the Tstat, like he said above it is stuck open therefore the needle still stays in the middle as it should since its hot outside. If it was around 30 degrees outside your needle would be like in the blue or inbetween the blue and middle where the Tstat is stuck open, its not regulating the temperature properly.
Old 12-18-2006, 10:56 AM   #14
dis

My Ride: 1999 BMW 323i
I have a 1999 323i with a p1622 reading. I replaced the thermostat and pump about 6 monhs ago and the Temp gauge has read normal ever since I fixed it, and I just came back from a 7 hour drive to NYC.....no problems except for the engine lite being on.....anyhing else I should be checking??
dis is offline   Reply With Quote