E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-13-2011, 12:00 AM   #1
Osprey

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330i
Hardy Disk Cracking

Took my 330i into yesterday for an Inspection at my local dealer and got back an estimated $5K in things they claimed need replacing, including the Valve Cover Gasket, Water Pump, A/C & Alternator Belts, Oil Filter Housing and Front Control Arm Bushings. I plan on DIY'ing as much as I can, however, I didn't recognize one thing on the list: The mechanic noted "Hardy Disk cracking, $156 parts, $590 labor."

What is a hardy disk? Can/should I DIY it?
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-13-2011, 12:37 AM   #2
Nervous

My Ride: 01 330CI 6MT ZSP EU3
Guibo joint that is located at the end of driveshaft where the driveshaft connects to the transmission.
Nervous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 12:49 AM   #3
LivesNearCostco

My Ride: 2003 ZHP 6MT
There aren't too many disks on the car that I know of---4 brake rotor discs, and two flexdiscs (driveshaft and steering). Either he meant driveshaft guibo or he hand wrote something and it only looks like "hardy disk." Let me think, what cracks on the E46, costs about $156 from the dealer, and needs 4-5 book hours of labor to replace?

--Flexdisc/Guibo (I vote for this one)
--CCV/oil separator, and associated hoses
--Oil pan?
--Lower intake boot (but part should be like $30-$50 at the dealer)
--Intake manifold?
--Rear subframe mounting points (labor would be a lot higher than $590)
--Front strut mounts, if both of them are cracked
--FCABs or RTABs, but $590 labor seems high unless doing both

If you want semi-professional local help, I heard Kalim/Cyberkaa is good, though I've never met him personally. Check his "Kalim's Garage Adventures" thread. There are also indie BMW shops that have good reputations and will cost considerably less than the dealer.
LivesNearCostco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 01:33 AM   #4
cyberkaa

Location: Sunnyvale, CA <-- Ithaca, NY <-- dirty jerz (201) Useful Posts: 25
My Ride: E46 332i,M3;E30 325i
Send a message via ICQ to cyberkaa Send a message via AIM to cyberkaa Send a message via MSN to cyberkaa Send a message via Yahoo to cyberkaa
^Thanks for the mention!

OP, that's a heckuva lot of money for things that can be done at home. I'm in Sunnyvale if you want to bring the car by and have a chat about what they found during the inspection.

M3 drive train conversion (S54 Swap, LSD, 6MT, suspension linkage) | UUC Stg 2 Organic Clutch | OEM M-Tech II Kit
KW V2 | BBS GT4 RE | Falken FK452 | Alcon 6-pot 365mm BBK | M3 steering wheel | Powerflex bushings

Quote:
Originally Posted by koven View Post
i'd rather be gapless with no bulge
cyberkaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 02:39 AM   #5
Osprey

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nervous View Post
Guibo joint that is located at the end of driveshaft where the driveshaft connects to the transmission.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivesNearCostco View Post
There aren't too many disks on the car that I know of---4 brake rotor discs, and two flexdiscs (driveshaft and steering). Either he meant driveshaft guibo or he hand wrote something and it only looks like "hardy disk." Let me think, what cracks on the E46, costs about $156 from the dealer, and needs 4-5 book hours of labor to replace?

--Flexdisc/Guibo (I vote for this one)

If you want semi-professional local help, I heard Kalim/Cyberkaa is good, though I've never met him personally. Check his "Kalim's Garage Adventures" thread. There are also indie BMW shops that have good reputations and will cost considerably less than the dealer.
I thought this was what was meant, I've just never heard it referred to as a hardy disc before. It wasn't handwritten or anything, it was typed in the area where they listed the inspection results. I was planning on talking to some indie shops tomorrow and getting some quotes for some of these items.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberkaa View Post
^Thanks for the mention!

OP, that's a heckuva lot of money for things that can be done at home. I'm in Sunnyvale if you want to bring the car by and have a chat about what they found during the inspection.
I've also been thinking about DIY'ing some/most of these items and I could definitely use some advice on which ones to prioritize as I'm not made of money. You have PM.

Thanks for your help everyone!

Last edited by Osprey; 07-13-2011 at 02:42 AM.
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 04:11 AM   #6
cyberkaa

Location: Sunnyvale, CA <-- Ithaca, NY <-- dirty jerz (201) Useful Posts: 25
My Ride: E46 332i,M3;E30 325i
Send a message via ICQ to cyberkaa Send a message via AIM to cyberkaa Send a message via MSN to cyberkaa Send a message via Yahoo to cyberkaa
Replied!

P.S. Hardy disc = guibo, as guessed above.

M3 drive train conversion (S54 Swap, LSD, 6MT, suspension linkage) | UUC Stg 2 Organic Clutch | OEM M-Tech II Kit
KW V2 | BBS GT4 RE | Falken FK452 | Alcon 6-pot 365mm BBK | M3 steering wheel | Powerflex bushings

Quote:
Originally Posted by koven View Post
i'd rather be gapless with no bulge

Last edited by cyberkaa; 07-13-2011 at 04:12 AM.
cyberkaa is offline   Reply With Quote