E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2004, 10:54 AM   #1
Mr Paddle.Shift
PhD Mech. Eng.
 
Mr Paddle.Shift's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: By that double apexes
Posts: 2,131
My Ride: B3 epsilon
Thumbs Up ASA SK1 with Engine Oil Cooler Installed!

Hey all,

Completed the project about a week ago with the help of Zolti from Rennsport. After testing the system for a while, I have decided to post a write up.

What you see here is a Setrab oil cooler mounted on top of the ASA intercooler. Brackets were customized to fit the oil cooler. The OEM oil filter cap is replaced by a special oil cap by VPD. This oil cap has two portings that allow oil to be channelled out to and back from the oil cooler. The orange lines you see are actually flame proof material that protects the hoses. As you can see, the front intake manifold, once seen as an useless piece, has its worthiness in this project. The lines are tucked in nicely through the exit. After installation, about 1/2 quart of extra engine oil is needed to fill up the system.

Max temperature drop is about 18F for a 77F highway driving . This is actually a good drop considered the most oil coolers cool about about 10F to 25F. For local mid-day LA traffic, the temperature never passed 98C (~208F). Note that I have an oil temperature sender that is located at the oil sump. But we claim (with confidence) that the actual temperature drop across the oil cooler has to be greater than 18F. A good knowledge of how the lubrication system works in the engine will support this claim. This will be verified with some additional senders and more wiring, plumbing work.

The project as you see here is completed and will most probably be offered as a basic kit to folks with the ASA SK1 setup.

I have yet to test it on the tracks. But be sure to read my review after the upcoming Buttonwillow event on Apr 24/25.

__________________

Technik Engineering ASA Stage 1.
Supercharged E46 M54B25.
2011 NASA TTC So Cal Champion!
Track blog.
Technik Engineering oil cap o-ring maintenance kit available.
Mr Paddle.Shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-07-2004, 12:24 PM   #2
BWMguy206
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Glendale
Posts: 792
My Ride: '98 M3 and '07 335i
Good Work!

On the E36 M3s, SC cars have been getting well over 240F on the street with no oil cooler. Over 270F at the track.

On my turbo M3 its 190F-210F. Highest it has seen is 220F during 90F-100F ambient temp.
BWMguy206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 12:37 PM   #3
mtfour
Mooove, get out the way!
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 1,128
My Ride: 2004 S4, 2010 A6
Excellent! And I like the fact that it's black so you can't see it through the front grill. I just came from reading about ASA SC's in the March issue of BMW Car at Borders Books, excellent article.
mtfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 12:50 PM   #4
Mr Paddle.Shift
PhD Mech. Eng.
 
Mr Paddle.Shift's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: By that double apexes
Posts: 2,131
My Ride: B3 epsilon
Thanks all!

BWMguy206: I have heard about that as well about E36 SC setup. If I am not wrong, turbo setup have generally lower oil temps than SC setup. Since Laguna Seca and seeing 248F for a couple of sessions, I have decided to embark on the engine oil cooler project. I am now ready for Buttonwillow.

mtfour: You're half right about why I chose black. The other reason is, as I mentioned in another thread before, about black body radiation. Black body, although, absorbs more heat, tends to release more heat as well. Since oil temp flowing through the cooler is significantly higher than ambient temperature, heat transfer more from oil cooler to surrounding.
__________________

Technik Engineering ASA Stage 1.
Supercharged E46 M54B25.
2011 NASA TTC So Cal Champion!
Track blog.
Technik Engineering oil cap o-ring maintenance kit available.
Mr Paddle.Shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 01:00 PM   #5
Cali6869
BIG STUNNA
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: bay area
Posts: 1,697
My Ride: ASA 323ci SK2, ///M5
Very nice write up Vince, so is this kit going to be included in the asa package? Hopefully its available when I get my asa, hopefully this summer....
I'll let you know when I there so you can check my light, remember?
Cali6869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 02:29 PM   #6
Durgesh
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: London
Posts: 642
My Ride: 997 GT3 RS
Send a message via MSN to Durgesh
Sound's good !

Any Idea when RennSport will be selling it... ??

Durgesh
__________________

EvoTechnik Mafia - The Don Diggy
997 GT3 RS - Black with Orange
forum.evotechnik.net
Durgesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 02:54 PM   #7
SpeedinBlueBimmer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Arts District, LA
Posts: 1,488
My Ride: 05 Z4 3.0i(For Sale)
Send a message via AIM to SpeedinBlueBimmer
Nice, its good to see oilcoolers on non AA s/ced cars; please post track results on how much cooler it keeps the oil. But with the intercooler and oilcooler infront of the radiator, how will it get any air flow over it?

Is the kit basically the same as this one? or is it the same? Just wondering because thats the only non AA oilcooler i've seen for the E46.
http://www.victoryproductdesign.com/e46_kit_main.htm
__________________
SpeedinBlueBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 03:07 PM   #8
Mr Paddle.Shift
PhD Mech. Eng.
 
Mr Paddle.Shift's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: By that double apexes
Posts: 2,131
My Ride: B3 epsilon
Will definitely post track results. Can't wait!

VPD supplied the cap. We gather the rest of the parts and fab the brackets ourselves. I wanted a Setrab cooler to beging with. If I am not wrong, AA's oil cooler is for the compressor oil not engine oil. Radiator efficiency is not affected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedinBlueBimmer
Nice, its good to see oilcoolers on non AA s/ced cars; please post track results on how much cooler it keeps the oil. But with the intercooler and oilcooler infront of the radiator, how will it get any air flow over it?

Is the kit basically the same as this one? or is it the same? Just wondering because thats the only non AA oilcooler i've seen for the E46.
http://www.victoryproductdesign.com/e46_kit_main.htm
__________________

Technik Engineering ASA Stage 1.
Supercharged E46 M54B25.
2011 NASA TTC So Cal Champion!
Track blog.
Technik Engineering oil cap o-ring maintenance kit available.
Mr Paddle.Shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 03:20 PM   #9
RichP
Big in Japan
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: MI
Posts: 1,373
My Ride: Mid-engined Madness
Ironic, I just got some of the parts for my oil cooler setup; I am going the more OEM route though...I like the idea of the cap, although I have heard it is not the best method of doing it.

What are you using for thermostatic control of the cooler?
__________________
RichP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 04:18 PM   #10
Mr Paddle.Shift
PhD Mech. Eng.
 
Mr Paddle.Shift's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: By that double apexes
Posts: 2,131
My Ride: B3 epsilon
Yes I have researched using the E36 M Euro or E46 M oil filter housing. There are some issues to be sorted out to work on an E46 non-M. Shouldn't be that difficult but can be resolved. Also, the OEM cooler is a little small for me at least. I am assuming you're going with aftermarket cooler and hoses?

The VPD cap allows filtered oil to be cooled. This is definitely a plus point. Cooling filtered oil is more efficient than cooling pre-filtered oil. Other "huh" factors include advising dealers how to change oil etc. Also, this cap uses BMW OEM filter and seal.

Thermostatic control unit is omitted for this particular application. But I will strongly recommend using one for you folks on the east coast where winter can get really chilly. I have no problem warming up the oil in the morning here. If you are looking for one, get a Mocal piece. Best in the market.

In any case, keep me posted of your progress. Always good to know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichP
Ironic, I just got some of the parts for my oil cooler setup; I am going the more OEM route though...I like the idea of the cap, although I have heard it is not the best method of doing it.

What are you using for thermostatic control of the cooler?
__________________

Technik Engineering ASA Stage 1.
Supercharged E46 M54B25.
2011 NASA TTC So Cal Champion!
Track blog.
Technik Engineering oil cap o-ring maintenance kit available.
Mr Paddle.Shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 05:06 PM   #11
RichP
Big in Japan
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: MI
Posts: 1,373
My Ride: Mid-engined Madness
Very cool. The EuroM setup has a built in thermostat; I need to bring it to the local machine shop so it will accept the US VANOS line, accept an NPT thread for the lines, and figure out where I am putting the damn power steering res.

I am shopping for the lines and cooler right now, the OEM one is a bit undersized, and expensive to boot. If I am spending this time and money, I am going big (well, bigger) guns.
__________________
RichP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 11:06 PM   #12
RENNsport
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: RENNsport
Posts: 276
My Ride: ASA, Gruppe M BMW's
The ASA kit will not include the oil cooler. If anything, we might consider selling it as an upgrade.
RENNsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 11:43 PM   #13
Mr Paddle.Shift
PhD Mech. Eng.
 
Mr Paddle.Shift's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: By that double apexes
Posts: 2,131
My Ride: B3 epsilon
Thanks for the clarification, Sam.

Here's another pic:



RichP, if you need help with choosing lines/cooler, give me a shout through email.
__________________

Technik Engineering ASA Stage 1.
Supercharged E46 M54B25.
2011 NASA TTC So Cal Champion!
Track blog.
Technik Engineering oil cap o-ring maintenance kit available.
Mr Paddle.Shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 11:57 PM   #14
xS3x
mi casa @ technik
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: Taipei
Posts: 6,299
My Ride: 2002 330Ci
Send a message via MSN to xS3x
Quote:
Originally Posted by RENNsport
The ASA kit will not include the oil cooler. If anything, we might consider selling it as an upgrade.
you should definately sell it as an upgrade..

maybe a package deal, ASA + exhaust + spark plugs + oil cooler..
__________________
xS3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 12:25 AM   #15
Cali6869
BIG STUNNA
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: bay area
Posts: 1,697
My Ride: ASA 323ci SK2, ///M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by RENNsport
The ASA kit will not include the oil cooler. If anything, we might consider selling it as an upgrade.
Sam you cheap bastardd!















jk
Cali6869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 10:20 AM   #16
RichP
Big in Japan
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: MI
Posts: 1,373
My Ride: Mid-engined Madness
I appreciate the help, I basically went with everything from aeroquip; my friend is building up a subaru, and knows this stuff like the back of his hand (and as you know, making lines with all the connector can be a daunting task).

In general guys, the oil cooler on an NA car or an ASA equipped car is just a nice addition to have, but not a necessity. However, the ROTREX blower on the AA cars is so sensitive and fragile it needs an oil cooler so its clutch system can work properly (I remember reading the max oil temp is like 140 degrees or something, which is very low for an engine component)
__________________
RichP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 01:37 PM   #17
330iCanada
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 211
My Ride: 2003 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Paddle.Shift
Hey all,

Completed the project about a week ago with the help of Zolti from Rennsport. After testing the system for a while, I have decided to post a write up.

What you see here is a Setrab oil cooler mounted on top of the ASA intercooler. Brackets were customized to fit the oil cooler. The OEM oil filter cap is replaced by a special oil cap by VPD. This oil cap has two portings that allow oil to be channelled out to and back from the oil cooler. The orange lines you see are actually flame proof material that protects the hoses. As you can see, the front intake manifold, once seen as an useless piece, has its worthiness in this project. The lines are tucked in nicely through the exit. After installation, about 1/2 quart of extra engine oil is needed to fill up the system.

Max temperature drop is about 18F for a 77F highway driving . This is actually a good drop considered the most oil coolers cool about about 10F to 25F. For local mid-day LA traffic, the temperature never passed 98C (~208F). Note that I have an oil temperature sender that is located at the oil sump. But we claim (with confidence) that the actual temperature drop across the oil cooler has to be greater than 18F. A good knowledge of how the lubrication system works in the engine will support this claim. This will be verified with some additional senders and more wiring, plumbing work.

The project as you see here is completed and will most probably be offered as a basic kit to folks with the ASA SK1 setup.

I have yet to test it on the tracks. But be sure to read my review after the upcoming Buttonwillow event on Apr 24/25.

Paddle,

Where is your ASAtronic controler? I do not see it in the photo. Or do you have software?
330iCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 01:42 PM   #18
Luderule
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: NYC-LA
Posts: 104
My Ride: xB
Looks like another mod for me to get when its finalized
__________________
Luderule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 02:47 PM   #19
xS3x
mi casa @ technik
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: Taipei
Posts: 6,299
My Ride: 2002 330Ci
Send a message via MSN to xS3x
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luderule
Looks like another mod for me to get when its finalized
its going on my car first
__________________
xS3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 09:09 PM   #20
Smoothpnoy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Norwalk, Ca.
Posts: 269
My Ride: Jet Blk. '03 330Xi
"she beautiful mang" - Scarface
i love how that engine bay looks like.
Smoothpnoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use