E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-16-2004, 12:22 AM   #1
rdsesq
ouroboros autorotica

My Ride: 2002 330i
?'s on speakers and amps, and subs...

I am getting closer to figuring out the system.

Pioneer 6500 w/ AVIC80 navi (This is settled)

Speakers Front: Either (Focal 130KP or 165KP) or (MB Quart Premium either 5.25 or 6.5)
MB Quart rates the 5.25 as 40-100W and the 6.5 as 60-130 should I look at these number as RMS for sizing amps?
Focal rates these as Nominal power 70 for the 130 and 80 for the 165.

Speakers Rear: Focal 165KP or MB Quart Premium 6.5 Mid Bass kit.

Can I use componenet speakers for the rear or should I go with MB no crossover kit?

As for Amps:I am thinking of using Audiobahn A6004T 75x4 at 4ohms, for the speakers.

Does this setup make "sense"

I don't think I am under over over powering the speakers. I don't want to run the risk of blowing them by having to big of an amp.

Any suggestions, thoughts, opinions?

thanks in advance.

rob

quis custodiet ipsos custodes
rdsesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-16-2004, 10:01 AM   #2
ca1242

My Ride: 2003 330i
Quote:
Speakers Front: Either (Focal 130KP or 165KP) or (MB Quart Premium either 5.25 or 6.5)
MB Quart rates the 5.25 as 40-100W and the 6.5 as 60-130 should I look at these number as RMS for sizing amps?
Focal rates these as Nominal power 70 for the 130 and 80 for the 165.
Audition both options and pick based on what sounds better to you. Ignore their power ratings. I would get at least 100 watts RMS, more 150 - 300 watts if budget allows, and you don't mind paying a premium to have a higher headroom.

Quote:
Speakers Rear: Focal 165KP or MB Quart Premium 6.5 Mid Bass kit.

Can I use componenet speakers for the rear or should I go with MB no crossover kit?
I personally don't like rear speakers, but again, listen to which sounds better, key for rears is to get whichever gives you better midbass. You could go with coaxials here.

Quote:
As for Amps:I am thinking of using Audiobahn A6004T 75x4 at 4ohms, for the speakers.

Does this setup make "sense"

I don't think I am under over over powering the speakers. I don't want to run the risk of blowing them by having to big of an amp
As I said above, the more power the better (even if it exceeds the recommended rating). As long as the amplifiers are adjusted properly, the "extra" power will allow you to turn the gains down in the amplifiers and provide a very clean signal with the least amount of noise without straining the amplifier, kinda like having a big engine, most of the time you drive well below the engine's limits, but when you step on the gas, the car moves fast!

Also, you didn't mention anything about lower frequencies. I would definitely add a second amplifier and subwoofer(s) to fill in the hole you will have in the lower end of frequency response.