E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-15-2004, 08:28 AM   #1
RNarang

Anyone with Sirius Knowledge?

I am interested in getting the OEM Sirius radio but have a few questions regarding the antenna. Most likely i would mount the antenna on the rear deck inside the car. Anyone try this method vs. on the roof? Also I was looking at the Terk SIR3 antenna with adapter. It is much smaller and less expensive than the one offered by BMW. A gentleman on another board tried out the Terk and claimed the following:

"I spent a couple of hours yesterday to remove the Terk SIR3 antenna, yanked replaced it with the BMW antenna, and mounted on the left side (instead of right with the Terk). I drove around the city in the exact same route where I had drop-outs before and voila, no more drop-outs! Even when I drove under dense tree branches and between tall buildings. The BMW antenna comes with the ALC (inline filter) that filters out the XM frequencies as the BMW receiver does not come with a built-in in the unit (other Sirius and XM receivers do). You have to plug the antenna leads from the antenna to this ALC filter, then plug the filter's leads into the receiver. I don't know what it is, but using the BMW antenna seems to do the trick. "

I just spoke with a Terk customer rep and they have NO information regarding such filters and doubt that it is present bc/ the sirius and xm antenna are very similar but are specifically tuned to recieve one service. Interference is near impossible. Anyone use the terk? of have experience with similar issues? Thanks for your help.

Last edited by RNarang; 04-15-2004 at 08:31 AM.
RNarang is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-15-2004, 08:38 AM   #2
Nix325i

My Ride: 2002 325i 5sp
I have seen many people here with antenna mounts on the rear deck inside their car, and they say reception is fine. I just ordered my SkyFI, and I plan on mounting the antenna there. Don't know anything about the Terk antenna compared to the BMW antenna though...

My humble mod list:
18x8 Axis Supermesh w Toyo Proxes 4's /// OEM Clears w/ Silvervisions /// VIZU Hyper Whites /// Tint /// M3 Lip Spoiler /// Roof Spoiler /// Silver Gauge Rings /// OEM Chrome Exhaust Tips /// ACS Pedals and Dead Pedal /// ACS E-Brake Handle /// ACS Badge /// ACS Seat Belt Pads /// SkyFi XM
ROCK!!
Nix325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 10:27 AM   #3
stinkboy

My Ride: 04 330i ZHP
Send a message via AIM to stinkboy
i have the oem sirius unit with the oem antenna mounting in the proper location. if i go under dense trees i do loose the signal for a second. so im not sure wtf that guy is talking about. i think it would be stupid to swap to an aftermarket antenna with the oem sirius unit. its setup as plug and play. now as far as having to put it on the roof, im sure you can try to locate it in the rear deck area. in fact as hard as it is to get that wiring around the rear windows seal, it will be easier for sure. i personally had the dealer install my sirius unit. bought it from circlebmw for 20% off of retail and local dealer install for free due to some mess ups with my order. ie, the transport truck rubbed my mtech bumper. required fixing and painting.
stinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 11:12 AM   #4
RNarang

its just that the oem anteann is HUGE compated to the ter personally i would never let my dealer install the kit.
RNarang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 03:46 PM   #5
lordbyron

My Ride: 98 328i, 03 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNarang
I am interested in getting the OEM Sirius radio but have a few questions regarding the antenna. Most likely i would mount the antenna on the rear deck inside the car. Anyone try this method vs. on the roof? Also I was looking at the Terk SIR3 antenna with adapter. It is much smaller and less expensive than the one offered by BMW. A gentleman on another board tried out the Terk and claimed the following:

"I spent a couple of hours yesterday to remove the Terk SIR3 antenna, yanked replaced it with the BMW antenna, and mounted on the left side (instead of right with the Terk). I drove around the city in the exact same route where I had drop-outs before and voila, no more drop-outs! Even when I drove under dense tree branches and between tall buildings. The BMW antenna comes with the ALC (inline filter) that filters out the XM frequencies as the BMW receiver does not come with a built-in in the unit (other Sirius and XM receivers do). You have to plug the antenna leads from the antenna to this ALC filter, then plug the filter's leads into the receiver. I don't know what it is, but using the BMW antenna seems to do the trick. "

I just spoke with a Terk customer rep and they have NO information regarding such filters and doubt that it is present bc/ the sirius and xm antenna are very similar but are specifically tuned to recieve one service. Interference is near impossible. Anyone use the terk? of have experience with similar issues? Thanks for your help.
I have sirius in my 325 and the antenna is located inside the car but looking out the window.... I have no problems at all. The reason I decided to put it inside my car was because, I was afraid someone would steal it and If I ever take my car to the car wash, the antenna will come out flying !
lordbyron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 05:34 PM   #6
questel

My Ride: 2001 330ci
Sirius

I did the OEM Sirius unit in my 01 330. I had to replace the head unit to do it but that was worth it. A couple of observations to share.

I have the OEM antenna, it is huge, but it works well. I originally installed it on the roof, which worked fine, but ugly! I also have a JVC sirius unit that I switch back and forth in my other cars, and I hooked that antenna up to my BMW and laid it in the rear deck and it worked great, so I pulled the BMW antenna off the roof and have it in the center of the rear deck. I also have a heavily tinted rear window.

The JVC unit is much easier to use and much much more user friendly. The BMW unit only shows the song playing on the stream you are listening to, the JVC shows what or who (depending on what you select) is playing on every channel. Also remembers your favorite 30 songs and alerts you when they are on any channel.

Overall the BMW unit is fine, but the JVC spoiled me with extra features. Move your antenna to the rear deck, you will be fine with it.

Joe
questel is offline   Reply With Quote