E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld

Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-21-2004, 02:47 PM   #1
Maverick1

My Ride: 2001 330i
What psi you guys runnin...

I run a 330i in DS, I ran 45 in rear and 42is in the front. Is this too much, not enough...got kinda squirrley on my runs, but this is also my first season in a rear wheel drive car, I ran last season in a turbo civic. I also took out the spare tire from the trunk, should i leave it in for the weight with it being rwd or is it better to have less weight. Thanks for any input you guys have. There are no other mods on the car and it has the sport package/suspension...anyone running my same car with info would be greatly appreciated.Thanks!
Maverick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-21-2004, 06:51 PM   #2
mfino
I give up.........

My Ride: 00 323i SP-P blk/blk
Running 47 Front and rear on Kumho Ecsta MX 225/50/16. I'm going to stick with 47 in the front and drop the rear by 2 to about 45. This will hopefully help the understeer issue. I recently put in the H&R sway bar, and that has helped the body roll. I'm currently running a stock sport suspension (minus the sway) but I've also just purhcased some Koni single adjustables that I have yet to receive/install. All of these mods are allowed in DS.

MY car is not stock, though I'm trying to see if I can get some of the mods swapped out in order to run in DS at least for my rookie season. There are couple guys on this board running 330's. Not sure about bone stock suspension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1
I run a 330i in DS, I ran 45 in rear and 42is in the front. Is this too much, not enough...got kinda squirrley on my runs, but this is also my first season in a rear wheel drive car, I ran last season in a turbo civic. I also took out the spare tire from the trunk, should i leave it in for the weight with it being rwd or is it better to have less weight. Thanks for any input you guys have. There are no other mods on the car and it has the sport package/suspension...anyone running my same car with info would be greatly appreciated.Thanks!

ECIS Intake | Shark Injector | Scorpion Exhaust | PG2 style rims, YOKOHAMA AVS ES100 235/40/18 | M3 Lip Spoiler | OEM Clears | Hamann Eyelids | M-Technik Front | M-Technik Sides | M-Aero Rear | 50% Tint | M3 Dead Pedal | MOMO Aluminum Pedals | UUC Gauges |Titanium Shadow Painted Trim
mfino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 07:29 PM   #3
Maverick1

Thanks, I'll try 47 up front and 45 in the rear, see what that does...did you leave your spare in the back? I took mine out for my 4 runs this past weekend w/ scca, but not sure if I should leave it in or not.I had it in for my 4 runs the day before with the bmwcca autocross and it seemed to handle a little better but my tires were waaaay under-inflated
Old 04-21-2004, 07:34 PM   #4
bmwerkes
Foot 2 the floor in the 604

My Ride: is a D-Stock sleeper
I have v700 victoracers in 225/50/16 i run around 40 psi. i have a K&N front sway and sports package suspension. Sometimes i drop the fronts to 38 to induce a little oversteer. If you use a little chalk on the edge of your tread and sidewall you will be able to see if you're running enough pressure. Draw a line on the top of the tire from the tread to a couple of inches down the sidewall, perpendicular to the ground. Take a run, if the chalk is worn off on the sidewall then you need more pressure, if there is still chalk on the edge of the tread you need less pressure....

j
bmwerkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 07:42 PM   #5
Maverick1

I've heard you run lower pressure on r-compound tires, but i'm using the stock contisports. i planned to bring chalk next time to do just that and we'll see how it goes....when the boss in charge of the money lets me, i'll get some tires for autocross hehe
Old 04-22-2004, 10:44 PM   #6
IDLOOK2

My Ride: 00' 328Ci
Send a message via AIM to IDLOOK2
wouldn't you want to reduce air pressure once it gets "squirrley" Are you guys talking about psi before or after they are heated (driven on). I was happy with 36 in the front and 37 in the back before they were heated at my last autoX.
Old 04-23-2004, 05:34 AM   #7
Maverick1

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDLOOK2
wouldn't you want to reduce air pressure once it gets "squirrley" Are you guys talking about psi before or after they are heated (driven on). I was happy with 36 in the front and 37 in the back before they were heated at my last autoX.
That was my pressure for all 4 runs...I didn't reduce the pressure because I simply wasn't sure what to set them at...I'll probably take all of your suggestions and try them all on the 1st w/ bmwcca autox's and on the 2nd and 8th w/ scca. Thanks again guys for your input.
Old 04-27-2004, 05:17 PM   #8
flacoy2k

My Ride: 2002 M3
On my first track day I ran 37 fronts and 35 rear on stock michelins pilot sports and stock E46 M3 18" wheels. The only thing I am affraid of is that as are you lap the circuit you tire preassure will build up and the tires will only hold up 50psi. If you go beyong 50Psi you tires may blow up. After 25 minutes on the track my fronts went from 37 Psi to 44 Psi. The reason they tell you to run less preasure on R-compound tires is because they generate more heat and therefore build up more preassure.

Make sure you measure your preasure as soon as you pit out the track and make sure you don't go above the maximum preasure printed on the sidewalls of your tires. The next time I go to the track I will probably start with 39 fronts and 37 rear as long as I don't end up pass 50 Psi at the end of a session.
flacoy2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 03:45 PM   #9
Maverick1

thanks again for the input!
Old 05-02-2004, 03:23 AM   #10
notE46
Where am I?

My Ride: M Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by flacoy2k
On my first track day I ran 37 fronts and 35 rear on stock michelins pilot sports and stock E46 M3 18" wheels. The only thing I am affraid of is that as are you lap the circuit you tire preassure will build up and the tires will only hold up 50psi. If you go beyong 50Psi you tires may blow up. After 25 minutes on the track my fronts went from 37 Psi to 44 Psi. The reason they tell you to run less preasure on R-compound tires is because they generate more heat and therefore build up more preassure.

Make sure you measure your preasure as soon as you pit out the track and make sure you don't go above the maximum preasure printed on the sidewalls of your tires. The next time I go to the track I will probably start with 39 fronts and 37 rear as long as I don't end up pass 50 Psi at the end of a session.

it's different for autox.

For Mavrick1
once you get more negative camber you want to run less pressure. on cooler days say under 70F you want to increase the pressure (if you normally run 37 increase to 40 or so) but do not ever go beyond the max pressure on the tire.

If you are in the LA area, check out the LA chapter BMW CCA autoxes. they are run very very well and you get 13runs total. 10 practice runs and 3 timed runs. Plus lunch and all the water you can drink not bad for $45.

Several SCCA racers run in that chapter as well both road race and Solo2 so that opens up a lot of chances for ride alongs
'02 330ia
notE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 04:57 AM   #11
Maverick1

Thanks, but I'm in MD. I ran 37 up front and 40 in the rear for a BMWCCA auto x yesterday and will probably do the same for the scca event on the 8th. Worked out pretty well, decent times, wasn't as sqirrely when I had the higher pressures last time.
Old 05-02-2004, 02:44 PM   #12
notE46
Where am I?

My Ride: M Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1
Thanks, but I'm in MD. I ran 37 up front and 40 in the rear for a BMWCCA auto x yesterday and will probably do the same for the scca event on the 8th. Worked out pretty well, decent times, wasn't as sqirrely when I had the higher pressures last time.

I wasn't sure since it said Bel Air

with 37/40 I would expect understeer. Try swapping 40/37
'02 330ia
notE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 05:35 AM   #13
Maverick1

yeah, a lil understeer, i'll try 40/37...thanks man.