E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-22-2004, 07:01 PM   #1
niL
is on da floor
 
niL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: New York
Posts: 2,695
My Ride: 2001 330i
Send a message via AIM to niL
Good place to tap power for a tv tuner and two headrest monitors?

I got all my wires ran for the tv and tuner, i just need power now! wheres a good place to tap into power from should i get a relay or something and tap it into a switched wire or something? i'm not too familiar with rigging up a relay although they look easy
__________________

2001 330i rebuilt from the salvage yard
From start to finish...
niL is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-23-2004, 11:59 AM   #2
TreMontana
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Boston
Posts: 274
My Ride: 318ti->323ci->325ci
i need this info as well


also what brand monitors do you have and how is the quality? I decided on a 2 sunvisor/ 2 headrest setup but dont really trust the quality on the ebay ones....let me know- thanks-





Quote:
Originally Posted by niL
I got all my wires ran for the tv and tuner, i just need power now! wheres a good place to tap into power from should i get a relay or something and tap it into a switched wire or something? i'm not too familiar with rigging up a relay although they look easy
TreMontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 12:19 PM   #3
ca1242
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Burke, VA
Posts: 7,633
My Ride: 2003 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by niL
I got all my wires ran for the tv and tuner, i just need power now! wheres a good place to tap into power from should i get a relay or something and tap it into a switched wire or something? i'm not too familiar with rigging up a relay although they look easy
What other aftermarket equipment do you have? Do you have amplifiers, head unit, etc?

You could have a relay connected to the head unit turn power on and off, that way anytime the head unit is on, everything else is. As far as main power, you can go to the head unit harness, if current draw is not too much.

Another place you can tap is the phone harness under the center console (it has power and switched power), for low current devices.

I have information on how to wire up relays on my website: http://home.comcast.net/~customcarstereo/
__________________
ca1242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 09:43 PM   #4
niL
is on da floor
 
niL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: New York
Posts: 2,695
My Ride: 2001 330i
Send a message via AIM to niL
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreMontana
i need this info as well


also what brand monitors do you have and how is the quality? I decided on a 2 sunvisor/ 2 headrest setup but dont really trust the quality on the ebay ones....let me know- thanks-
going with myron and davis! quality is good. www.streeteffectz.com for more info, drop them a line
__________________

2001 330i rebuilt from the salvage yard
From start to finish...
niL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 09:56 PM   #5
niL
is on da floor
 
niL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: New York
Posts: 2,695
My Ride: 2001 330i
Send a message via AIM to niL
Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1242
What other aftermarket equipment do you have? Do you have amplifiers, head unit, etc?

You could have a relay connected to the head unit turn power on and off, that way anytime the head unit is on, everything else is. As far as main power, you can go to the head unit harness, if current draw is not too much.

Another place you can tap is the phone harness under the center console (it has power and switched power), for low current devices.

I have information on how to wire up relays on my website: http://home.comcast.net/~customcarstereo/
no amps or aftermarket head yet, was going to wire up the tv's seperate until i can get a head and some amps and subs. thanks for the site very helpfull, i'm going to wire a relay up to the phone harness under the center console
__________________

2001 330i rebuilt from the salvage yard
From start to finish...
niL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 07:37 AM   #6
ca1242
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Burke, VA
Posts: 7,633
My Ride: 2003 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by niL
no amps or aftermarket head yet, was going to wire up the tv's seperate until i can get a head and some amps and subs. thanks for the site very helpfull, i'm going to wire a relay up to the phone harness under the center console
If you are going to the phone harness, you don't need a relay, just get switched power (I belive the wire is violet/w some other color - check with a meter) and also ground (brwon wire, but there are two and one of them is NOT a ground, so check). If you want to be able to turn it on and of with a switch, just switch the power wire.
__________________
ca1242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 10:38 AM   #7
niL
is on da floor
 
niL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: New York
Posts: 2,695
My Ride: 2001 330i
Send a message via AIM to niL
Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1242
If you are going to the phone harness, you don't need a relay, just get switched power (I belive the wire is violet/w some other color - check with a meter) and also ground (brwon wire, but there are two and one of them is NOT a ground, so check). If you want to be able to turn it on and of with a switch, just switch the power wire.
Thanks, i will check it with a meter. I was going to go with a relay only because i thought the devices i wanted to power were too much for the phone harness but i'll give it a shot then thanks alot
__________________

2001 330i rebuilt from the salvage yard
From start to finish...
niL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 02:05 PM   #8
ca1242
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Burke, VA
Posts: 7,633
My Ride: 2003 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by niL
Thanks, i will check it with a meter. I was going to go with a relay only because i thought the devices i wanted to power were too much for the phone harness but i'll give it a shot then thanks alot
You can check and see what size is the fuse size in the fuse bix for the phone circuit, but I doubt that a couple screens and a tuner will draw that much current.
__________________
ca1242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use