E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum

Motorsports & Track Forum
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-27-2004, 12:55 PM   #1
eternityx3

My Ride: '04 AW 330ci zhp
anyone have a how-to on drifting? =P

anyone have a how-to on drifting?
eternityx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-27-2004, 01:12 PM   #2
Bim Growl
Banned

My Ride: E86 3.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by eternityx3
anyone have a how-to on drifting?
Prediction: You WILL damage your car in one way or the other.

Drifting happens. You should be looking for how to avoid drifting if you want to be fast.

I understand it's become very popular to do this with your car though. I hope you get some good advice. I'll be the first to console you when you try it and hurt your car, or worse, yourself.

Good Luck, and practice on the autocross course, or find a paved empty parking lot, field or something. There should not be any thing to stop an uncontrolled spin except the fricition of rubber and pavement.

Later,

Daniel
Bim Growl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 01:18 PM   #3
braymond141

My Ride: 96 M3, 98 M3, 01 M5
Wait for rain, and then find a huge empty parking lot. You'll probably want to try it first in a smaller car and then work yourself up. Or you can just do what I did, get a GoKart and go play in some dry dirt ... it's not a car, but it's a start.
braymond141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 01:20 PM   #4
teamdfl
Slow in, slower out

My Ride: 325it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bim Growl
...Good Luck, and practice on the autocross course...
Driving sideways at an autocross will earn you an instant ejection. Autocross sites are too hard to find to risk losing one because the owner/cops/neighbors usually don't like seeing peoplke driving in smokey circles.

Ed

teamdfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 01:28 PM   #5
Asmodeus

My Ride: 328i
Big Parking lot at night in winter when it's just snowed.

1)turn DSC Off.
2)Start at low speeds to get a feel for oversteering.

basically you can turn your front wheels left or right, floor it, then when oversteer occurs, just counter steer.

If you go faster like I do (usually 90-100 km/hr ) (yeah it's a big ass parking lot with a nice runway) you can feather brake into an oversteer.

Or you can keep the speeds lower (30-40) and perform a J-turn by disbalancing your car, then pull up and drop the e-brake to give a litthe swing. It's almost like doing a reverse 180.

REMEMBER:

Look where you want to go.

Practice in the wee hours of the morning 1-4am, because no one is there, and you won't risk injuring others in case something goes wrong.

If there is a car which enters the lot. Be curteous and come to a full stop and let them pass.
Asmodeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 01:48 PM   #6
Kain

My Ride: E39 M5...sold!
Is drifting in any way bad for the car?
Kain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 02:00 PM   #7
HW323ci

My Ride: 323ci manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain
i would think that it's really hard on your suspension.

i'm bored as hell!
HW323ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 02:06 PM   #8
simon323ispp

My Ride: 00' 323i, 05' S2000
Send a message via AIM to simon323ispp
Quote:
can't be good for the tires.

and there's always the risk of losing control and smashing into something.

2000 White/Tanin Red 323i sport/premium package.
2005 Silverstone Metallic S2000
Rieger kit, Lip Spoiler, Fiberdesign V.3 DAE, OEM xenon-hid, M3 fog, Clears, UUC Sways, FK Silverline+X Coilovers, Hamann 19x8.5 HM2, 235x35x19 Nitto NT555, Conforti Shark Injector, Benfer 3pc CAI, Remus DTM exhaust
http://photos.e46fanatics.com/showga...at=500&thumb=1
simon323ispp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 02:18 PM   #9
xxcosmicxx
The OG Black Roof

My Ride: Long Gone
my advice....86 corolla....if you know drifting, enough said
Old 04-27-2004, 02:52 PM   #10
Amoeba

My Ride: his: zhp hers: 325ci
Send a message via Yahoo to Amoeba
It's really hard on your suspension. It's designed to absorb up/down movement, not lateral movement. When you're drifting, you're essentially pushing in really hard on the bottom of the outside rear wheel. That's tremendous sideway stress to a wheel. If you have low profile tires, you also risk damaging your rim as the tires will rolll underneath it a bit when pushed like that. That's why the Japanese drifters lower the psi on the tires to give it more sidewall contact patch.

With the warnings out of the way, there are quite a few ways to induce oversteer. Drifting is essentially throttle-steering your car once it's in overstter condition. What's throttle steering? Well... uhmm.. go to a car control clinic. They'll have you go around in a circle really fast, and you'll notice that you can increase the diameter or decrease the diameter of the circle by adjusting the gas pedal without turning the steering wheel. It has racing application too, because you can turn left/right in a turn by using your throttle, not your steering wheel. Driving schools rule!

How to induce oversteer? Well, find a real wet area. Dry spots are too harsh on your car. You can 1) pull handbrake while in a turn, 2) full throttle to spin the rear wheel while in a turn, 3) in the middle of a turn, abruptly lift off the throttle, then re-engage throttle once the tail have spun out.

My recommendation is first go to a BMWCCA sponsored car control clinic. Learn what understeer and oversteer feels like, and how to control it. After you're familiar with what it feels like, then try it out on a wet parking lot. Don't try drifting around on the street! Your turning radius may be a lot larger than you anticipated and you'll hit curbs, real hard.

What's the difference between understeer and oversteer? In understeer you see what you're going to hit. In oversteer you have no idea what you're going to hit.
Old 04-27-2004, 02:58 PM   #11
braymond141

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailwind
It's really hard on your suspension. It's designed to absorb up/down movement, not lateral movement. When you're drifting, you're essentially pushing in really hard on the bottom of the outside rear wheel. That's tremendous sideway stress to a wheel. If you have low profile tires, you also risk damaging your rim as the tires will rolll underneath it a bit when pushed like that. That's why the Japanese drifters lower the psi on the tires to give it more sidewall contact patch.

With the warnings out of the way, there are quite a few ways to induce oversteer. Drifting is essentially throttle-steering your car once it's in overstter condition. What's throttle steering? Well... uhmm.. go to a car control clinic. They'll have you go around in a circle really fast, and you'll notice that you can increase the diameter or decrease the diameter of the circle by adjusting the gas pedal without turning the steering wheel. It has racing application too, because you can turn left/right in a turn by using your throttle, not your steering wheel. Driving schools rule!

How to induce oversteer? Well, find a real wet area. Dry spots are too harsh on your car. You can 1) pull handbrake while in a turn, 2) full throttle to spin the rear wheel while in a turn, 3) in the middle of a turn, abruptly lift off the throttle, then re-engage throttle once the tail have spun out.

My recommendation is first go to a BMWCCA sponsored car control clinic. Learn what understeer and oversteer feels like, and how to control it. After you're familiar with what it feels like, then try it out on a wet parking lot. Don't try drifting around on the street! Your turning radius may be a lot larger than you anticipated and you'll hit curbs, real hard.

What's the difference between understeer and oversteer? In understeer you see what you're going to hit. In oversteer you have no idea what you're going to hit.
The Japenese Drifter shows dont lower their PSI tho. If you've ever seen that 30 min clip where the guy gets out he's hanging onto the car and its still going (big ol drifter show)... their cars have mad camber and extra stiff tires that only make contact on the inner edges. This gives them less contact area on the ground so they can continuely keep the tires spinning and drifts more consistent... kinda like playing in the dirt

Plus, i dont know that I would lower my PSI to drift on a normal car anyway... as you said you risk rim damage and lowering your psi only encourages that, plus your sidewalls aren't meant to be used to save your rims.

Last edited by braymond141; 04-27-2004 at 03:02 PM.
Old 04-27-2004, 02:59 PM   #12
323iT

My Ride: AG 323i
Send a message via AIM to 323iT
I would go ahead and pick this up if you want some good instructions on all the techniques.
http://store.driftingshop.com/driftbible.html
I wouldn't go out there and do some of the harder techniques...
Old 04-27-2004, 03:01 PM   #13
323iT

Quote:
My recommendation is first go to a BMWCCA sponsored car control clinic. Learn what understeer and oversteer feels like, and how to control it.
I took the BMWCCA CCC last year. its very helpful in car control.
Old 04-27-2004, 03:02 PM   #14
323iT

Quote:
its very bad on your tires.
Old 04-27-2004, 04:09 PM   #15
BimmerJustin
I SHOP @ TURNER MOTORSPORT

My Ride: 02325CI,03MIN,06VW
Or...you Can Get Caught By The Cops Like I Did. See My Earlier Post!
Old 04-27-2004, 04:20 PM   #16
braymond141

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerJustin
Or...you Can Get Caught By The Cops Like I Did. See My Earlier Post!

uhh dude... you deserved that... on your block?

Central California BMW Parts Swap
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1526941747526167/
Old 04-27-2004, 06:10 PM   #17
hoodust

My Ride: Tuned 3 & Drift M3
Send a message via Yahoo to hoodust
get the DRIFTING BIBLE DVD its the best!!!!!!!!!!

under modification DriftUNED
hoodust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 09:30 PM   #18
Amoeba

My Ride: his: zhp hers: 325ci
Send a message via Yahoo to Amoeba
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodust
get the DRIFTING BIBLE DVD its the best!!!!!!!!!!
Riiiight. After what happened to your car, it's the best???
Old 04-28-2004, 12:01 AM   #19
hoodust

My Ride: Tuned 3 & Drift M3
Send a message via Yahoo to hoodust
Quote:
Riiiight. After what happened to your car, it's the best???
lets just say that the car couldnt keep up with the driver

under modification DriftUNED
hoodust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 04:06 AM   #20
Arlau

My Ride: 2000 323i
Send a message via AIM to Arlau
Can someone tell me how to get invovled with the BMWCCA driving clinics? I live on the West coast. Thanks!
Arlau is offline   Reply With Quote