E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum

Motorsports & Track Forum
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-14-2004, 10:21 AM   #21
Amoeba

My Ride: his: zhp hers: 325ci
Send a message via Yahoo to Amoeba
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlau
Can someone tell me how to get invovled with the BMWCCA driving clinics? I live on the West coast. Thanks!
First, you want to join BMWCCA car club at:

http://www.bmwcca.org/

After joining, you will be assigned to our local BMWCCA Golden Gate Chapter, which host these events. You can take a look at the event schedule here:

http://www.ggc-bmw-cca.org/

And look under calendars. There is one this weekend at Las Vegas, but it's too late for you to register. Nonetheless, there are plenty more coming up! I think I may be going to either the June buttonwillow or the september Sears point driving school.
Old 05-14-2004, 03:38 PM   #22
GordonMurray
Banned

My Ride: A German Motorcoach.
Drifting - the new trend for the mad tyte y0 aZn club because they can't produce a current worldwide contender for a Formula 1 championship.

These silly kids are about 30 years late on the "drifting" thing.

To all you Alex Yoong's out there:

GordonMurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 07:48 AM   #23
notE46
Where am I?

My Ride: M Coupe
reading, watching a dvd, or attending one (or a dozen) CCC isn't going to help you with drifting and true car control.

if you really want to learn, get a beater car and take a rally class.

also ask of the people who has posted so far, how many has FUc-Ked their car up by trying to "drift" on the public road.
'02 330ia
notE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 09:22 PM   #24
wildpanda86

My Ride: 2001 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by eternityx3
anyone have a how-to on drifting?
Best Motoring has a DVD called the Drift Bible.

It would be cool to have a BMW in the D1 drift competitions. Dodge has a Viper in it, so does GM with a GTO that asian kids think of as a front wheel drive grand prix.
wildpanda86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 11:06 PM   #25
stealthy

My Ride: ///M3
Most of the drift cars are dialed with a lot of over steering. They usually remove the rear sway bar and modify the steering column to improve turning angle.

To drift in a BMW is quite easy. BMWs are pretty balanced front to rear. It is easy to side step on any given corner with weight transfer (brake or throttle). To keep it side way, you need HP to sustain the rear wheel spinning (smoking).

I know a lot of people (at the race track) really look down on drifting. I had a classroom instructor called my action stupid (while I was one of the instructor at my BMWCCA chapter. BTW, I am the VP for my local chapter). In my opinion, drifting actually improved my driving skill. I am no longer panicing while the back end come out at the high speed corner. Yes, it does burn your rubber. But, so does driving on the track that burns fuel, brake pads, brake rotors and other things. I am sure some people here constitue that abuse to your car.

Drifting is just another form of motorsports. Please try it in a safe place. Also, to have a real cool drift, you gotta have LSD in your car. Otherwise, you can't keep going sideway too long.

Good luck.

Old 06-11-2004, 11:47 PM   #26
tomalexm

My Ride: 328Ci
Send a message via AIM to tomalexm
what does it do to the tires? just wear tread? is it harder in summer tires?
tomalexm is offline   Reply With Quote