E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-19-2004, 10:13 PM   #21
bbh03

My Ride: M5, X5, 911SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan L.
When you guys take the water pump out, does tons of coolant come pouring out?

Also, I noticed that most "oem bmw parts" site actually sells water pumps manufactured by Graff and other companies..... I'm wondering if its better to just get oem bmw made pumps or one of these other brands. Doesn't seem like the factory pumps lasts that long but i've also heard that some aftermarket pumps making weird noises once installed. What do you guys think?

Alan
Drain the coolant from the block first
bbh03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 10:15 PM   #22
darth

My Ride: 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbh03
Did you have a problem torquing the bolts on the water pump pulley? I was installing pulleys today and one snaped I think under less than 15 ft/lbs of torque. I have to check tomorrow but I hope the bolt snapped and not stripped threads in the water pump rotor or els Ill be doing the same thing as you soon
bbh03,

i had a little trouble cuz i didnt have a tool to hold the pulley. i just had my friend hold the pulley real tight while I cranked on it with a torque wrench (89 in-lb per Bentley Manual). I don't think I torqued it all the way but it seems good. I'ld be careful with the pulley cuz it plastic so you might crack it if you over tighten it.

hope this helps. good luck.
darth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 10:19 PM   #23
darth

My Ride: 323i
Quote:

Also, I noticed that most "oem bmw parts" site actually sells water pumps manufactured by Graff and other companies..... I'm wondering if its better to just get oem bmw made pumps or one of these other brands. Doesn't seem like the factory pumps lasts that long but i've also heard that some aftermarket pumps making weird noises once installed. What do you guys think?

Alan
I only drained my radiator and when i pulled the pump of only about a cup or so came out.

as for the aftermarket stuff, don't know. i did get my pump from Pacific for $63.
darth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 12:53 AM   #24
tim330i
Owner/Admin

My Ride: 03 Ti Silver M3
What are the signs that the pump is going bad? I have a rather quite but noticeable grinding sort of a sound while the car is idling. If I tap the throttle it quites, but comes back at idle.

Thoughts?

Tim
tim330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 10:25 AM   #25
markusmark

My Ride: 2001330Ci
Water pump

Tim,
If yo've got more than 40K miles on your ride, and it's making noises, change the pump.

It also might be a good idea to change the thermostat and the thermostat housing at the same time you change the pump. Seems that's what the local dealer (Fairfax [VA] BMW) did when my pump went at 40K miles.
markusmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 11:15 AM   #26
mcabr
Just Marinatin'

My Ride: Chikatetsu
lijasdfl

Quote:

Alan
Alan,
I just replaced mine yesterday and I had bought an OEM one and a Graff one. I compared the two side by side and they were identical as far as I could tell. The graff one was brand new but when I returned the OEM one to the dealer they referred to it as "one rebuilt water pump" I was like what? Rebuilt? Why does it cost 87 bucks then? They other one only cost me 60 bucks and so far it is working fine with no funny noises.

Oh I forgot to add that the graff pump seemed a little sturdier than the OEM one. Like the parts seemed to be made of more quality material. The OEM one seems to be made of a different type of plastic that seems cheaper than the graff one.
Old 05-20-2004, 11:28 AM   #27
Alan L.
TWC Alumni

My Ride: AW M-Sport
Awesome! I think i'll go with the graff one instead since the bmw one isn't exactly bullproof. I've heard premature waterpump failures is common with bmws

2014 LCI 550i M Sport | 3D Design Front Spoiler | BMW Performance Black Kidney Grills | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler | BMW Performance Gloss Black Diffuser | Painted Reflectors | Wincos 30% Tint | Supersprint Quad Exhaust | AC Schnitzer Springs | MORR VS8.2 Brushed Finished Wheels 20x10R and 20x9F | Michelin PSS Tires 245/35/20F 285/30/20R |||More Photos of my car here|||
Alan L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 12:48 PM   #28
RushRacer
Registered Abuser

My Ride: '02 330Ci
Tim, waterpumps generally have a weephole or two, usually a 1/8th or smaller hole just behind the pulley. These are designed to release coolant that has passed the impeller and the internal seals. Small drops of coolant under the car would be the most obvious sign, but looking at the pump on the car would be the best. Check for signs of leaking coolant to determine if the seals are going bad. Keep in mind however, that signs of leakage might be normal, a consistent dripping is not. Next would come the grinding noise. Generally, the noises are caused by the failing bearings on the impeller shaft. I can't say if it's the noise that you're experiencing, but again, I suggest sticking your head in the engine bay while its running to pinpoint the noise. Just start with your ear as close to the pump as possible and you might just confirm the problem immediately. Shortly after the noises start you may experience a large loss of coolant, and then total pump failure, leading to possible engine damage.

I love you, Brian Fellow.
And I love your hat, Rufus.

RushRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 01:31 PM   #29
bbh03

My Ride: M5, X5, 911SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by darth
bbh03,

i had a little trouble cuz i didnt have a tool to hold the pulley. i just had my friend hold the pulley real tight while I cranked on it with a torque wrench (89 in-lb per Bentley Manual). I don't think I torqued it all the way but it seems good. I'ld be careful with the pulley cuz it plastic so you might crack it if you over tighten it.

hope this helps. good luck.
Thanks, Darth, I dont have to worry about the pulley because I replaced it with an underdrive pully which is aluminum. I didnt torque them all the way either because I pussied out when the one bolt snapped. I think the bolt just snpped, not a stripped thread in the water pump pulley bracket, so I bought new bolts (M6x16). Can anyone verify the material that bracket (that you bolt the pulley to) is steel and not something soft like aluminum??? Im going to remove it tonight and hopefully correct the problem.

BTW guys, pelicanparts sells the water pumps for only $54, the best price Ive seen so far.
bbh03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 12:48 AM   #30
EDawg

My Ride: :/

Last edited by EDawg; 08-02-2005 at 01:07 AM.
EDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 10:48 AM   #31
328idriver
behind blue eyes

My Ride: 328i
Send a message via AIM to 328idriver
sometime at idle i get a knocking sound from the engine compartment usually..its very intermittent it comes and goes, seemingly with no regularity,the car is a 328i and its got 90,000 on it very good condition very well maintained, im wondering if the water pump is going? no leaking coolant that i can see,normal operating temps, but occasional knocking that isnt loud like engine knock and it comes and goes so its not like my motors about to go, it hasnt happend in like 1 month and yesterday it happend again wonder if the bearing in the pump are shot... No obvious clues, can someone shed some light and let me know more about the sound that a failed waterpump would emit. thanks-
Joe
328idriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 12:16 PM   #32
Canuck328i

My Ride: 09 Altima Cpe
Quote:
Originally Posted by 328idriver
sometime at idle i get a knocking sound from the engine compartment usually..its very intermittent it comes and goes, seemingly with no regularity,the car is a 328i and its got 90,000 on it very good condition very well maintained, im wondering if the water pump is going? no leaking coolant that i can see,normal operating temps, but occasional knocking that isnt loud like engine knock and it comes and goes so its not like my motors about to go, it hasnt happend in like 1 month and yesterday it happend again wonder if the bearing in the pump are shot... No obvious clues, can someone shed some light and let me know more about the sound that a failed waterpump would emit. thanks-
Joe
I get a knocking sound at low RPM from the AC compressor - AC still works, but it makes one hell of a whacking sound at 800 to 1200 RPM. It will only happen when the AC button is on, so if you hear the noise try turning off the AC to see if it goes away.

From what I've heard, the WP will make more of a grinding noise when the bearings are going bad.

I will be doing the WP tonight or Saturday, parts are coming in tonight. BMW wants $160 plus $50 core charge, local auto parts store wants $90 plus $20 core charge (CDN) and they are BOTH rebuilds.

Has anyone seen an E46 WP with a plastic impeller (either the old one from your car or the new one)? Didn't they have problems with these in the E36?

Mark
Canuck328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 08:17 AM   #33
g911turbo

My Ride: 2001 330ci
Great DIY thanks.

Might I add that on an AUTO 330CI (with fan clutch) the fan and clutch are a PITA to get off without the bmw (or like) holding tool. My clutch was all rusty and seized, and I tried to get it off by wedging something in between the pulley bolts and ended up BREAKING my waterpump pulley in half

My holding tool is on order and meanwhile my 3.0L is out of commission
g911turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 12:33 PM   #34
nEVERCLEAR

My Ride: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim330i
What are the signs that the pump is going bad? I have a rather quite but noticeable grinding sort of a sound while the car is idling. If I tap the throttle it quites, but comes back at idle.

Thoughts?

Tim
Sounds like more of a idle tensioner then a waterpump.

Take a ling screwdriver or stethescope and and tough the water pump and the idle tensioner being careful f the fan and belts.

They should not have a clunking sound at all more of a muffled bearing spinneing sound under water.

I changed the waterpump first and it ended up being the idle tensioner.

Some people dream of speed-others create a damn jet powered shopping cart.
Curious about VoIP and Vonage click here
nEVERCLEAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 10:33 AM   #35
g911turbo

Well, I still can't get the fan clutch off of the water pump, it's seized so bad its not even funny (i've sprayed in numerous times with PB Blaster).

Also, when I spin the clutch, it wobbles and doesn't spin perfect. I'm assuming this means the water pump bearings are bad. Can anyone verify this? This might also explain the slight groaning/droning noise from the fan area on cold idle before - lack of balance...

Therefore, im just going to disconnect the water pump with the clutch still on and chuck the whole thing. New pump, pulley, and fan clutch for about $150 and no more guessing. I'm thinking I should change the belt too, but it was changed less than 20k ago and does really look that bad (just some coolant and/or WD-40 splashed here and there)
Old 04-20-2006, 10:48 AM   #36
nEVERCLEAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by g911turbo
Well, I still can't get the fan clutch off of the water pump, it's seized so bad its not even funny (i've sprayed in numerous times with PB Blaster).

Also, when I spin the clutch, it wobbles and doesn't spin perfect. I'm assuming this means the water pump bearings are bad. Can anyone verify this? This might also explain the slight groaning/droning noise from the fan area on cold idle before - lack of balance...

Therefore, im just going to disconnect the water pump with the clutch still on and chuck the whole thing. New pump, pulley, and fan clutch for about $150 and no more guessing. I'm thinking I should change the belt too, but it was changed less than 20k ago and does really look that bad (just some coolant and/or WD-40 splashed here and there)
Go ahead and change the belt. It's not expensive and you will likely never have to change it again, If I was doing it I would change the idle tensioner as well. It is around 40.00. You can probably get the fan off once the water pump is off. How will you get to the pump bolts that go into the block with the fan on?

Go ahead and change the belt. It's not expensive and you will likely never have to change it again

Old 04-20-2006, 12:57 PM   #37
g911turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nEVERCLEAR
Go ahead and change the belt. It's not expensive and you will likely never have to change it again, If I was doing it I would change the idle tensioner as well. It is around 40.00. You can probably get the fan off once the water pump is off. How will you get to the pump bolts that go into the block with the fan on?

Go ahead and change the belt. It's not expensive and you will likely never have to change it again
Actually, the fan is off... I was able to dismount the shroud and fan from the clutch. The clutch is mounted to the water pump, and THAT is what seized up...

I think I have enough clearance between the radiator, etc. and the fan clutch to pull out the water pump with the clutch still attached. if not, I'll probably just cut off the clutch at the bolt (PITA) then pull out the pump.

I keep telling myself it's not that expensive, but when you do that and combine things it really starts to add up. This all started out with me JUST changing the clutch, resulting in me breaking the pulley, needing to change the pump, and now the belt, etc.

This is what happens when a simple job goes wrong...

$150 and climbing... uff.

Also, what do you mean by idle tensioner?? Does this part go by a different name? cause I'm not really sure what you're referring to...

Last edited by g911turbo; 04-20-2006 at 01:06 PM.
Old 04-20-2006, 01:29 PM   #38
nEVERCLEAR

It is the part looking at the engine to the righ near the power steering that you move to remove the belts. Some are known to go bad and will make a noise at idle like a rattle. Most people change their water pumps and when the nosie doesnt go away they end up changing the belt tensioner. THere are 2 kinds Mechanical and hydraulic. I think the mechanical one goes bad.

I can't help you identify them, and I dont know which one goes bad more often. Do a search to see if you think you need to change this part.

I just bought an 87 Wrangler so I know all about the simple fixes going wrong and costing a couple dollars

Old 04-20-2006, 01:45 PM   #39
g911turbo

yeah, most fixes would be easy on a new car... but when you add in rust, seized bolts, brittle metal, etc., sh*t hits the fan REAL quick

thats why when i reinstall my pump, pully, and clutch im using anti-seize on the bolts - and PB Blaster to get them out so they dont crack

So I AM assuming here that if I spin my clutch still attached to the pump and it wobbles, as in doesn't spin perfectly, that the bearings on the pump are going right?
Old 05-28-2006, 05:03 PM   #40
Cobra

My Ride: '00 328i & '06 R6S
would anyone happen to have a writeup on how to change the water pump on an automatic car? that damn clutch fan is in the way