E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-06-2004, 12:51 AM   #1
bmkev46

My Ride: 323i
Send a message via AIM to bmkev46
Installed powerflex bushings, review and problem that has surfaced

So i finally got a chance to install these things. For the most part, the install went smoothly, thanks to Tim! Couldn't have done it without his diy and tips, although it was a b*tch to cut out the old rubber bushing from the control arms and i ended up paying a shop to press out the metal sleeves from the carriers, i'd recommend the same for those looking to do this install, saves some headache, unless you have a proper press, for those who want to know, a shop will charge you around 20-40 bucks to push out the sleeve from the carrier and press in the new bushings.

Finished installing, bolted everything back up, took the car out for a spin and immediately had a big grin on my face from the way the car now handled. Everything that's been said about these bushings is true...the car feels more solid, tighter in its cornering line, planted while going over mid corner bumps in sweepers, and rides not only tighter but actually better over bumps in general, atleast that's what i found. Yes, i would sum these bushings up as making the suspension feel pretty new again.

That is untill i hit 65 mph+........crap, somehow i knew this was going to happen as i had read a post about this problem on the board earlier. Right when the speedo hits 65, the steering wheel shaking/vibrating starts, making it feel rather unsettling going at higher speeds. Funny thing is, most posts on this board have stated that installing these new bushings got rid of any wheel shaking. It's ironic how before the bushing install i didn't have this wheel shaking/vibrating problem. Funny thing is, i can't figure out why the bushings would cause the wheel to shake at high speeds, and this is riding on perfectly level, smooth, and straight roads, without turning the wheel at all. I guess the only logical thing would be that my ball joints need to be fixed and these new bushings which are solid and allow less flex are now causing some movement from the ball joints, which used to be absorbed by the worn bushings...any other ideas?

Well, that's all, just a warning for those about to install these bushings and how it might not be such a good idea to only install these without doing the entire control arm/ball joint replacement along with it.

Here's the post by a guy with this exact problem....btw, did you find a solution to this problem? Any info would be great, TIA.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...rflex+bushings
bmkev46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-06-2004, 01:17 AM   #2
GunMoto

My Ride: EG8 | E46 | W211
Send a message via AIM to GunMoto
Same here. I installed PowerFlex front control arm bushings and I get steering vibration between 50-60mph, most evident at 55mph. My guess is either the ball joints are bad or the wheels are out of balance. I plan on having my wheels re-balanced this weekend to rule out that possibility. How can I check for bad ball joints? Check for play? How much play? It's definitely annoying when your car feels great and then once you hit 50-60mph, this vibration occurs.
Old 05-06-2004, 01:24 AM   #3
malakia12

My Ride: 05 Xterra, 05 Sentra
Send a message via AIM to malakia12
I just ordered mine from Turner Motorsport. they cost $100, but it comes with the bushings and the bracket, so if is a complete bolt on. no hassling with bushings and other stuff. pay a couple extra bucks but you have the piece of mind and no stress with this stuff
Old 05-06-2004, 01:27 AM   #4
sfzBimmer2

My Ride: '05 Ducati Monster
^^Yeah, except those will develop the same problems after 20-30k miles...
sfzBimmer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 01:27 AM   #5
niL
is on da floor

My Ride: 2001 330i
Send a message via AIM to niL
Quote:
Originally Posted by malakia12
I just ordered mine from Turner Motorsport. they cost $100, but it comes with the bushings and the bracket, so if is a complete bolt on. no hassling with bushings and other stuff. pay a couple extra bucks but you have the piece of mind and no stress with this stuff

Those look OEM bro?

2001 330i rebuilt from the salvage yard
From start to finish...
niL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 01:36 AM   #6
malakia12

Quote:
Originally Posted by niL
Those look OEM bro?
the website says they are urethane bushings, with the stock brackets. they just do it like that, so if you do not want the hassle of taking out the old bushings and putting in the new ones. you just remove the old brackets/bushings with the new brackets/urethane bushings.
Old 05-06-2004, 02:56 AM   #7
kwang125

hmm....
the website doesn't mention them being made from urethane.

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html...ID=31126757623
kwang125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 06:50 AM   #8
hm328i

My Ride: 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by malakia12
the website says they are urethane bushings, with the stock brackets. they just do it like that, so if you do not want the hassle of taking out the old bushings and putting in the new ones. you just remove the old brackets/bushings with the new brackets/urethane bushings.
These are definetely not urethane bushings. These are OEM.
Turner gets them from BMW.
UUC SSK EVO3
UUC Swaybarbarians
UUC Strutbarbarian
M3 RSM
Stoptech SS brake lines
Hawk HPS Pads
Redline Oil all around
hm328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 07:23 AM   #9
RVBoy

My Ride: 330i
Send a message via ICQ to RVBoy
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmkev46
So i finally got a chance to install these things. For the most part, the install went smoothly, thanks to Tim! Couldn't have done it without his diy and tips, although it was a b*tch to cut out the old rubber bushing from the control arms and i ended up paying a shop to press out the metal sleeves from the carriers, i'd recommend the same for those looking to do this install, saves some headache, unless you have a proper press, for those who want to know, a shop will charge you around 20-40 bucks to push out the sleeve from the carrier and press in the new bushings.

Finished installing, bolted everything back up, took the car out for a spin and immediately had a big grin on my face from the way the car now handled. Everything that's been said about these bushings is true...the car feels more solid, tighter in its cornering line, planted while going over mid corner bumps in sweepers, and rides not only tighter but actually better over bumps in general, atleast that's what i found. Yes, i would sum these bushings up as making the suspension feel pretty new again.

That is untill i hit 65 mph+........crap, somehow i knew this was going to happen as i had read a post about this problem on the board earlier. Right when the speedo hits 65, the steering wheel shaking/vibrating starts, making it feel rather unsettling going at higher speeds. Funny thing is, most posts on this board have stated that installing these new bushings got rid of any wheel shaking. It's ironic how before the bushing install i didn't have this wheel shaking/vibrating problem. Funny thing is, i can't figure out why the bushings would cause the wheel to shake at high speeds, and this is riding on perfectly level, smooth, and straight roads, without turning the wheel at all. I guess the only logical thing would be that my ball joints need to be fixed and these new bushings which are solid and allow less flex are now causing some movement from the ball joints, which used to be absorbed by the worn bushings...any other ideas?

Well, that's all, just a warning for those about to install these bushings and how it might not be such a good idea to only install these without doing the entire control arm/ball joint replacement along with it.

Here's the post by a guy with this exact problem....btw, did you find a solution to this problem? Any info would be great, TIA.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...rflex+bushings
Wheel vibration could caused by out of balanced and too much wheel and tire out of round. Look for a shop that provide a road force variation balance machine to find out if your wheel and tire are true round.

Eddie
RVBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 07:29 AM   #10
teamdfl
Slow in, slower out

My Ride: 325it
Based on what I saw while replacing control arms on Alken's 323i last weekend, I would say your ball joints are shot and you need new control arms. Stiffening up the bushing changes the harmonics of the front suspension and just changes the speed at which loose components want to vibrate.

Ed

My Track Schedule

The solution to the lack of headroom in the X6

teamdfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 09:33 AM   #11
malakia12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwang125
hmm....
the website doesn't mention them being made from urethane.

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html...ID=31126757623
you guys are right, I don't know where I saw that yesterday. Called Turner today and cancelled the order, and order the bushings from Bimmerwolrd
Old 05-06-2004, 10:19 AM   #12
GunMoto

My Ride: EG8 | E46 | W211
Send a message via AIM to GunMoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamdfl
Based on what I saw while replacing control arms on Alken's 323i last weekend, I would say your ball joints are shot and you need new control arms. Stiffening up the bushing changes the harmonics of the front suspension and just changes the speed at which loose components want to vibrate.

Ed
Do you think I should get my wheels re-balanced and checked if they're true round first? How do you inspect the ball joints while the control arm is still installed?
Old 05-06-2004, 12:49 PM   #13
GordonMurray
Banned

My Ride: A German Motorcoach.
Quote:
...I would say your ball joints are shot and you need new control arms. Stiffening up the bushing changes the harmonics of the front suspension and just changes the speed at which loose components want to vibrate.
Ed
+1.
GordonMurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 02:37 PM   #14
DaCraZyVun

My Ride: Topaz Ci
How much are new control arms?
Old 05-06-2004, 02:40 PM   #15
teamdfl
Slow in, slower out

My Ride: 325it
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbk25
Do you think I should get my wheels re-balanced and checked if they're true round first? How do you inspect the ball joints while the control arm is still installed?
Jack up your car and spin the wheels by hand. If the edge of the wheel is visually out of round, it will cause problems. DOn't worry about rebalancing the tires until you check your ball joints. Jack up and support the front of the car and pry between the control arm and the bottom of the spindle. If you can see relative movement, the ball joints are shot.

Ed

My Track Schedule

The solution to the lack of headroom in the X6

teamdfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 04:37 PM   #16
raymondutc

My Ride: '99 328i
Quote:
Jack up your car and spin the wheels by hand. If the edge of the wheel is visually out of round, it will cause problems. DOn't worry about rebalancing the tires until you check your ball joints. Jack up and support the front of the car and pry between the control arm and the bottom of the spindle. If you can see relative movement, the ball joints are shot.

Ed
i want to get those powerflex bushings and bimmerworld asked what size 60 or 66mm...do you guys know? for an e46 99 328i.
raymondutc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 04:39 PM   #17
DaCraZyVun

Does anyone know if it is worth it to do this replacement?
Old 05-06-2004, 04:39 PM   #18
DaCraZyVun

I meant to say .... is it worth it to do this mod, cause alot of people seem to have complaints on it.
Old 05-06-2004, 04:43 PM   #19
raymondutc

My Ride: '99 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaCraZyVun
I meant to say .... is it worth it to do this mod, cause alot of people seem to have complaints on it.
its is for me since i am getting vibrations as well. ill probably be doing both the bushings and control arms in anticipation of ball joint probs. are stock control arms good enough?
raymondutc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 10:58 PM   #20
bmkev46

Send a message via AIM to bmkev46
Thanks for the insight guys....so i'm gonna go with the ball joints being shot as the reason for the vibration.

For those that asked- yes the stock aluminum control arms are fine, as the problem lies in the oem ball joint design which wears out, but there aren't any aftermarket designs for this part yet....you can order control arms with the ball joints on already for around 130 a side from turnermotorsport.com.....and yea i do think these bushings are a worthy upgrade but ONLY if you're gonna do the complete job by replacing everything (ball joints, ca, bushings), otherwise you'll have probs like me right now.

By the way, whats the deal with the tie-rods? where are these things located, is it separate from the control arm and ball joint unit? And aren't these a wear item as well?
bmkev46 is offline   Reply With Quote