E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-07-2004, 07:17 AM   #21
hm328i

My Ride: 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymondutc
i want to get those powerflex bushings and bimmerworld asked what size 60 or 66mm...do you guys know? for an e46 99 328i.
you have to measure them. There is no way to tell from MY which design you
have.
UUC SSK EVO3
UUC Swaybarbarians
UUC Strutbarbarian
M3 RSM
Stoptech SS brake lines
Hawk HPS Pads
Redline Oil all around
hm328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 07:21 AM   #22
hm328i

My Ride: 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmkev46
By the way, whats the deal with the tie-rods? where are these things located, is it separate from the control arm and ball joint unit? And aren't these a wear item as well?
If you look at your steering arm you'll see the tie rods are right next to the
ball joints. They are totaly separate from the ball joint and they should last
100K miles and more.
UUC SSK EVO3
UUC Swaybarbarians
UUC Strutbarbarian
M3 RSM
Stoptech SS brake lines
Hawk HPS Pads
Redline Oil all around
hm328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 07:42 AM   #23
dlarson104

My Ride: 2000 328i sport pkg
Quote:
So i finally got a chance to install these things. For the most part, the install went smoothly, thanks to Tim! Couldn't have done it without his diy and tips, although it was a b*tch to cut out the old rubber bushing from the control arms and i ended up paying a shop to press out the metal sleeves from the carriers, i'd recommend the same for those looking to do this install, saves some headache, unless you have a proper press, for those who want to know, a shop will charge you around 20-40 bucks to push out the sleeve from the carrier and press in the new bushings.

Finished installing, bolted everything back up, took the car out for a spin and immediately had a big grin on my face from the way the car now handled. Everything that's been said about these bushings is true...the car feels more solid, tighter in its cornering line, planted while going over mid corner bumps in sweepers, and rides not only tighter but actually better over bumps in general, atleast that's what i found. Yes, i would sum these bushings up as making the suspension feel pretty new again.

That is untill i hit 65 mph+........crap, somehow i knew this was going to happen as i had read a post about this problem on the board earlier. Right when the speedo hits 65, the steering wheel shaking/vibrating starts, making it feel rather unsettling going at higher speeds. Funny thing is, most posts on this board have stated that installing these new bushings got rid of any wheel shaking. It's ironic how before the bushing install i didn't have this wheel shaking/vibrating problem. Funny thing is, i can't figure out why the bushings would cause the wheel to shake at high speeds, and this is riding on perfectly level, smooth, and straight roads, without turning the wheel at all. I guess the only logical thing would be that my ball joints need to be fixed and these new bushings which are solid and allow less flex are now causing some movement from the ball joints, which used to be absorbed by the worn bushings...any other ideas?

Well, that's all, just a warning for those about to install these bushings and how it might not be such a good idea to only install these without doing the entire control arm/ball joint replacement along with it.

Here's the post by a guy with this exact problem....btw, did you find a solution to this problem? Any info would be great, TIA.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...rflex+bushings
Installing the new bushings on my '00 328 took care of the shimmy at 40 mph that also happened during braking due to the bushings being shot, but I too ended up with a high speed tire vibration. I had both front wheels road force balanced and now much better, but still have a slight vibration. These bushings are so stiff they don't dampen any vibrations like the stock rubber ones could.
dlarson104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 07:52 AM   #24
certify

My Ride: 328i 2000
If that is the case might as well stick with the stock ones... :donno:
certify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 10:34 AM   #25
GordonMurray
Banned

My Ride: A German Motorcoach.
I don't understand why people think that going from rubber -> urethane will retain the exact same cushy feel.

It's like when people go to sways and expect their ride to remain silent for years to come....stiffer suspension makes noises.
GordonMurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 01:19 PM   #26
tony2tru

My Ride: Rieger 328i SBlue
Yeah I had the same problems too. But after awhile the vibrations settled a bit to now it's comfortable and I don't mind it too much. But in the beginning I was freakin out because I did the urathane bushings the same time I put on my coilovers.

T
Old 05-07-2004, 01:37 PM   #27
GordonMurray
Banned

My Ride: A German Motorcoach.
Thanks to all the Powerflex beta testers.
GordonMurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 04:10 PM   #28
raymondutc

My Ride: '99 328i
Quote:
Thanks for the insight guys....so i'm gonna go with the ball joints being shot as the reason for the vibration.

For those that asked- yes the stock aluminum control arms are fine, as the problem lies in the oem ball joint design which wears out, but there aren't any aftermarket designs for this part yet....you can order control arms with the ball joints on already for around 130 a side from turnermotorsport.com.....and yea i do think these bushings are a worthy upgrade but ONLY if you're gonna do the complete job by replacing everything (ball joints, ca, bushings), otherwise you'll have probs like me right now.

By the way, whats the deal with the tie-rods? where are these things located, is it separate from the control arm and ball joint unit? And aren't these a wear item as well?
dont know where the tie rods are but yeah i think they are a wear item too. cant wait till i get the bushings and control arms done cuz my steering is whack right now. let me know how things turn out.
raymondutc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 11:54 AM   #29
bmkev46

My Ride: 323i
Send a message via AIM to bmkev46
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlarson104
Installing the new bushings on my '00 328 took care of the shimmy at 40 mph that also happened during braking due to the bushings being shot, but I too ended up with a high speed tire vibration. I had both front wheels road force balanced and now much better, but still have a slight vibration. These bushings are so stiff they don't dampen any vibrations like the stock rubber ones could.
Hey dlarson, how many miles do you have on your car and did you replace the balljoints & control arms along with the bushings? It makes sense that having the wheels balanced would help some, but i really think the problem lies in the possibility of loose ball joints which cause the vibration. You're right, these bushings are stiff and since they don't absorb as much as the cushy oem rubber ones, it may transfer some stress to the loose balljoints causing a problem, but this should be fixed if you have nice new balljoints. I'm gonna try replacing them and see what happens.
bmkev46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 05:36 PM   #30
dlarson104

My Ride: 2000 328i sport pkg
Powerflex problem

Quote:
Hey dlarson, how many miles do you have on your car and did you replace the balljoints & control arms along with the bushings? It makes sense that having the wheels balanced would help some, but i really think the problem lies in the possibility of loose ball joints which cause the vibration. You're right, these bushings are stiff and since they don't absorb as much as the cushy oem rubber ones, it may transfer some stress to the loose balljoints causing a problem, but this should be fixed if you have nice new balljoints. I'm gonna try replacing them and see what happens.
My car is an '00 with 60k miles. But as someone has already mentioned, the vibrations at high speed are lessening now. I didn't replace the ball joints/control arms.
dlarson104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 08:30 PM   #31
jbriedis

My Ride: GAC 330
Send a message via Yahoo to jbriedis
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlarson104
My car is an '00 with 60k miles. But as someone has already mentioned, the vibrations at high speed are lessening now. I didn't replace the ball joints/control arms.

Just speculating, but.... More than likely if you had worn out bushings, you probably got some abnormal tire wear. Once you put stiffer bushings in, you know feel the vibration. Could need a wheel balance, but that still might not cure it.

There is a slight possibility of worn ball joints, but you can check that by using a large pair of channel locks on the subframe and control arm to see if there is play in the bushing.

-Jason
jbriedis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 02:47 PM   #32
malakia12

My Ride: 05 Xterra, 05 Sentra
Send a message via AIM to malakia12
ok guys, i just got my bushing installed too, and to no avail, i have the same problem as everyone else. what are the chances that all of our ball joints are worn out? my steering vibrates like its out of control from 50-70. so did you guys figure out what needs to be changed?
Old 05-13-2004, 02:53 PM   #33
CtrlAltDel
www.piratecove.org

My Ride: 2007 335i Coupe
Send a message via ICQ to CtrlAltDel Send a message via AIM to CtrlAltDel
i find it odd that people with newer cars would have bad ball joints after installing these...a 2002 with bad ball joints already? i could understand it if it surfaces on my car after i install them.

i'm set to put RSMs/CABs and PSS9s on my car here soon...so my ride quality is going to change dramatically here.
Old 05-13-2004, 02:55 PM   #34
///ACS330Ci
Artist formerly k/a Steve

My Ride: ACS/M-Technik 330Ci
Send a message via ICQ to ///ACS330Ci Send a message via AIM to ///ACS330Ci
Old 05-13-2004, 03:06 PM   #35
raymondutc

Quote:
Originally Posted by malakia12
ok guys, i just got my bushing installed too, and to no avail, i have the same problem as everyone else. what are the chances that all of our ball joints are worn out? my steering vibrates like its out of control from 50-70. so did you guys figure out what needs to be changed?
So I'd like to know if there is anyone who did replace their control arms/ball joints AND installed these powerflex bushings to see whether they have any vibrating issues or not.

Should we maybe contact Powerflex to see what they have to say about it? Or maybe there's a slight breakin period with these? I'd like to know because my steering is laggin big time right now and I need to get something done soon!
Old 05-13-2004, 03:13 PM   #36
GBX330ci

My Ride: 2011 Cayenne 6sp
Send a message via AIM to GBX330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymondutc
Should we maybe contact Powerflex to see what they have to say about it? Or maybe there's a slight breakin period with these?
I'd definately contact them!
GBX330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 11:40 PM   #37
tmckinl

My Ride: Jet Black 1999 328i
Send a message via ICQ to tmckinl
alignment anyone?

Just wondering, I didn't hear any of you mention having the wheels aligned. My stealership wanted to change out my lower control arms and bushings and said they would then have to do an alignment. If you just change out the bushings only do you still need an alignment?
tmckinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 11:42 PM   #38
malakia12

My Ride: 05 Xterra, 05 Sentra
Send a message via AIM to malakia12
actually, guys just get your wheels re-balanced. I did that and the car now drives like a dream turns out my right front wheel was competely out of whack and so was my left, that is why the steering wheel shook like crazy between 50-70. now there is just a tiny bit of a shake at 65, but that is probably because they are urethane bushings.
Old 05-18-2004, 11:59 PM   #39
bmkev46

My Ride: 323i
Send a message via AIM to bmkev46
good to hear.....i'm waiting to get my new rims&tires on the ride....so for those worried bout getting these bushings and having this vibration issue, i'll give an update as well....

Quote:
actually, guys just get your wheels re-balanced. I did that and the car now drives like a dream turns out my right front wheel was competely out of whack and so was my left, that is why the steering wheel shook like crazy between 50-70. now there is just a tiny bit of a shake at 65, but that is probably because they are urethane bushings.
bmkev46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 12:49 PM   #40
raymondutc

Quote:
im sure it different for everyone but it sounds like with the stiffer bushings everything else has to be tightened up as well. for me, i will be getting my control arms replaced, wheel balanced, and alignment. then we'll see how things turn out. ill let y'all know.