E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-15-2002, 02:42 PM   #1
jrcohen

My Ride: 2K2 330I Sport
Talking Ya baby! Some fixes for those rattles and sqeaks that work.

OK, After 9 months and 14,000 fcking miles listening to those rattles and creaks in my new 2k2 330I I decided to do something about most of them and it worked. Here are the fixes to some of the issues that I had.

First thing I did was go out and buy some black felt at the local fabric store (I have black leather interior but they do sell other colors). It is amazing how many issues can be fixed with this felt. Here are the issues and the fixes...

1) Rattle/torsion noises from the rear roof area/window area when backing up and turning. Cut 15 inch long strips of black felt 1/4 inch wide. Slide them in between the rear window and roof side frames. They will just fit and cut down on these noises big time. You can't even see that they are there from inside or outside the car.

2) Rattle/thumping noise coming from rear of car when going over bumps. I have fold down seats so I tried something that I read on another post on this site. Go to the hardware store and buy a roll of 1/4 inch thick foam insultation with sticky tape on one side. Drop the seats and run the foam along the contact areas both top and back. Close the seats with a little more force to make sure they are locked. Rattle/Thumping is gone.

3) Sqeaks coming from rear deck in each corner.
At first I thought this was the HK issue, but after closer inspection I noticed that when you push against the tops of the rear side bolsters where they meet the rear deck (immediately to the left and right of the fold down seats) there is a leather against leather/plastic sqeaking noise. I cut small pieces of the felt and stuffed them between the bolsters and the deck. You cant see the felt and the squeaks are gone.

4) Ticking noise from the front headrests. There is a plastic cap where the headrest guides meet the seats. The ones without the adjustment button snap off allowing you to place felt under each one on both sides and then snap back into place. The ones with the button do not come off completely but you can get them up enough to put some felt under it (be careful not to break at this point). The felt stops the headrests from rattling/ticking. 85% better then before.

5) Sport seat squeaks where leather meets plastic or other leather down by memory buttons. Cut strips of felt and place between leather and plastic/leather wherever they meet. Sqeaks are 90% better. Can only see the felt if you look really closely.

6) Passenger seat belt reseptacle rattles off of center console when driving. Put a piece of double sided tape on a piece of felt and tape to side of reseptacle that rattles against center console. Rattle completely gone.

7) Squeaky dead peddle. Sprayed silicone at top of dead peddle where it meets top area and two pieces of plastic rub together. Then slid a piece of felt between to areas. Squeak gone.

I took the car for a test drive after making these corrections and it was like night and day. There was one additional squeak coming from the ski pass through where the leather meets the leather at the top. I taped a piece of felt to the top of the enclosure where the ski sack cover closes. You can see the felt and the squeak is gone.

The only rattle that I have left is on the drivers seat coming from the lower left rear area. This of course is the worst one and sounds like metal on metal. I think that it is coming from the metal bracket/bolt where the lap portion of the seat belt attaches to the seat. I tried WD-40 and silicone but the noise is still there. It does not look like I can get to the bolt without removing the seat and I really do not want to do that in this heat. Any suggestions will be gladly accepted.

Hope these fixes help to make some of your lives and cars more enjoyable. Now I can drive and actually enjoy my ride!

JC.
jrcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-15-2002, 02:45 PM   #2
jpetch
need $$$

My Ride: 2004 M3 SMG
damn, that seems very time consuming. im glad it worked for you though!
jpetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2002, 02:48 PM   #3
vinnymac
St. Louis BMW Fanatic

My Ride: 2011 335is
Send a message via AIM to vinnymac
Thanks for posting this information. I'm sure many of us will find it very useful.

vinnymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2002, 02:53 PM   #4
jrcohen

It probably took 3-4 hours total time over two days

But was well worth it. The worst part was working in the 100 degree weather up here in Boston.
Old 08-15-2002, 02:55 PM   #5
dennisf

My Ride: BMW 330Cic
Thanks, the sportseats solution is very helpfull!
Old 08-15-2002, 06:25 PM   #6
jrcohen

Sport Seats

You would figure for $35K plus BMW would be able to ad the felt to the sides of the plastic on the seats for pennies.

JC.
Old 08-15-2002, 06:52 PM   #7
core
[]D[][]V[][]D[][]\[]

My Ride: 2003.5 E46 ///M3
thanks for the info man.. will try it this weekend..

core is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2002, 09:30 PM   #8
HW323ci

My Ride: 323ci manual
but the problem w/ felt is if it gets wet it will soak up the water. as for the rattling seat belts, i've seen (i think) aston martin w/ leather wraps/boots that go around the plastic piece.

the folding seat thing, i removed the plastic trim on the parcel shelf and put cloth between the plastic and metal of the parcel shelf. that worked well.

now do you have any dash or door panel rattles?

any suspension creaks?

i'm bored as hell!
HW323ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2002, 11:12 PM   #9
neopunk1

My Ride: 330ci
Send a message via AIM to neopunk1
this would be a nice DIY with some pix attached
neopunk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2002, 12:49 AM   #10
drmirage
Believe it!!!

My Ride: 2001 325Ci
Send a message via AIM to drmirage
Re: Ya baby! Some fixes for those rattles and sqeaks that work.

good job.. gonna try to fix em rattles thru the dealership in a few weeks..

if all else fails.. we'll definitely do this..
Old 08-16-2002, 12:51 AM   #11
kghaynes
Autobahn Addict

My Ride: Touareg...sold:330ci
Send a message via AIM to kghaynes
That's some great info!! Thanks!

SORRY, WEBPAGE DOWN!

kghaynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2002, 01:16 AM   #12
MikE46

My Ride: '01 325Ci
Send a message via ICQ to MikE46 Send a message via AIM to MikE46
I have some rattles from the bottom of the drivers side door panel where it touches the plastic door frame. Anybody have this problem or any suggestions on a fix for it?
MikE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2002, 06:39 AM   #13
jrcohen

HW232CI

I'm lucky so far no suspension noises or door panel rattles. The Dash area around the radio does make a little noise when it is real hot but I can usually get it to stop by pushing on it a little. I know more people with the coupes have had door panel rattles then with the sedans for some reason.

JC.
Old 12-07-2004, 07:42 PM   #14
Makakio

My Ride: 03 325i sport
Thanks!

THANK YOU. Headrest rattle is about to drive me bonkers.
Makakio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 08:13 PM   #15
vaio76109

My Ride: Race Cars
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ther+stripping
vaio76109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 05:17 PM   #16
AlBoston

My Ride: is blue
JC, For item number 3 where and how did u stuff the felt. Did you fold the seat down to access the side bolster? thanks.
2002 Lexus IS300 - Silver/Black (Previous ride)
AlBoston is offline   Reply With Quote