E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld

Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-14-2004, 08:21 AM   #1
calledigital

My Ride: 01 325i
Send a message via AIM to calledigital
Approaching a Corner

Let's say youre driving on a windy mountain or canyon road... spirited mode on! How would you prepare yourself for unpredictable and blind turns coming up?

Also, you see a hairpin straight ahead, what are you doing to maintain the best speed through it? Heel toe to the appropriate gear? Trail-brake from the outside? Just plow straight into it and jam on the brakes, while hoping for the best...which the DSC light flashing enthusiastically?

I like to trailbrake a bit so I enter at a manageable speed, then modulate the throttle to aim myself through my line. I find during long sweepers, if I let off the throttle, my @ss has a tendency to come out... appropriate in the right situations, but not preferred for best speed.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-14-2004, 02:03 PM   #2
topazmania
Ogler of Women and Mods

My Ride: '01 M3 cab, '90 325i
General rule when driving an unknown course is to hug the outside until you can identify your apex and track-out points. Maintain constant speed using a steady amount of throttle. Once you see the apex and track-out, turn in more to make the apex. When you're pointed on the right line, squeeze on the gas and start unwinding the wheel.

Be careful about not hugging the road too far to the outside as most people don't drive out there so a lot of gravel might take you by surprise if you go too far out.

That's about 99% of being able to drive fast on an unknown road.
Old 05-14-2004, 03:37 PM   #3
GordonMurray
Banned

My Ride: A German Motorcoach.
Quote:
Originally Posted by calledigital
Let's say youre driving on a windy mountain or canyon road... spirited mode on! How would you prepare yourself for unpredictable and blind turns coming up?

Also, you see a hairpin straight ahead, what are you doing to maintain the best speed through it? Heel toe to the appropriate gear? Trail-brake from the outside? Just plow straight into it and jam on the brakes, while hoping for the best...which the DSC light flashing enthusiastically?

I like to trailbrake a bit so I enter at a manageable speed, then modulate the throttle to aim myself through my line. I find during long sweepers, if I let off the throttle, my @ss has a tendency to come out... appropriate in the right situations, but not preferred for best speed.
Take no offense, but I'm going to try and analyze this post:

It sounds like you know fundamentally what's supposed to happen, but it appears as though you are just repeated stuff and have no idea what this means/feels like in real life. Someone who uses trailbraking generally doesn't need any pointers on how to setup for a corner. How you are driving enthusiastically with the DSC light flashing (meaning that it's on and working) is beyond me. You are not feeling the rear coming around with DSC...DSC's job is to keep that from happened.
GordonMurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 06:44 PM   #4
calledigital

My Ride: 01 325i
Send a message via AIM to calledigital
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonMurray
Take no offense, but I'm going to try and analyze this post:

It sounds like you know fundamentally what's supposed to happen, but it appears as though you are just repeated stuff and have no idea what this means/feels like in real life. Someone who uses trailbraking generally doesn't need any pointers on how to setup for a corner. How you are driving enthusiastically with the DSC light flashing (meaning that it's on and working) is beyond me. You are not feeling the rear coming around with DSC...DSC's job is to keep that from happened.

I leave it on to be safe. I do realize that if DSC were off, I would be sliding around; it's just a feeling that DSC is kicking in. My car doesn't just go where i point it... I actually have to countersteer at some points to keep on the road. DSC can't defy the laws of physics right?

To be more specific, I am talking about doing touge runs. or wannabe touge. but whatever.
Old 05-15-2004, 07:45 AM   #5
notE46
Where am I?

My Ride: M Coupe
as a general rule. i don't drive like that on the public roads.
'02 330ia
notE46 is offline   Reply With Quote