E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2002, 01:12 PM   #1
mctai

My Ride: 323i
Question Dashboard/Radio/Climate Control Lights GO OUT on 1999 323i

Driving normally during daytime, air on, radio on.

Suddenly, the lights on the clock/radio/climate control display dim out..... 5 seconds later, comes back on. anyone else seen this ?

M.
mctai is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-12-2002, 01:20 PM   #2
phxarchitect

My Ride: 1999 323i Sport
Send a message via Yahoo to phxarchitect
The lights & display on my radio went out completely one day. Later in the day the lights came back on. I told the dealer about it they said there was nothing they could do unless they saw it happen.
Old 07-12-2002, 01:23 PM   #3
Brandonb
Boomer Sooner!

My Ride: 01 330ci
Send a message via AIM to Brandonb
This happened on my nav screen. It just went blank all of a sudden. I took it to the dealer and and he pulled out the two fuses and checked them. They were fine. But then he put the fuses back in and the everything worked fine again. The fuses were a little lose and that took care of it.
-Brandon
NAV
Loaded!
Brandonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2002, 09:27 PM   #4
ZzyZx

My Ride: 04 Silver Gray 325Ci
Question

I had the same problem too. Once in a while, all of my lights in the dash/radio/climate control go dim, for about 5 seconds too in the daytime. Its a lil annoying sometimes but i put up wit it.
ZzyZx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2002, 10:13 AM   #5
mfino
I give up.........

My Ride: 00 323i SP-P blk/blk
I had something similiar happen to mine twice, where the lights on the radio, climate, etc.. went out (not dim) and then came back about 5 seconds later. When I took it to the dealer, they told me that the gauge cluster controlled the lighting and they replaced it. After that, I had no problems at all.....

ECIS Intake | Shark Injector | Scorpion Exhaust | PG2 style rims, YOKOHAMA AVS ES100 235/40/18 | M3 Lip Spoiler | OEM Clears | Hamann Eyelids | M-Technik Front | M-Technik Sides | M-Aero Rear | 50% Tint | M3 Dead Pedal | MOMO Aluminum Pedals | UUC Gauges |Titanium Shadow Painted Trim
mfino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2002, 02:50 PM   #6
mchwe

My Ride: 2001 330ci
interesting

i had the display on the radio alone go out for a few minutes one day. radio still worked fine, and the climate display stayed on.

it hasn't happened again, but i guess electrical stuff can be weird like that.
mchwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2002, 12:03 AM   #7
Killer Junior
Damn Drivin' Fool!

My Ride: Big Wheel
Bullshit!

Quote:
Originally posted by phxarchitect
The lights & display on my radio went out completely one day. Later in the day the lights came back on. I told the dealer about it they said there was nothing they could do unless they saw it happen.
Your dealer is full of **** and you need to contact BMWNA regarding this. I had the same problem with my 2001 in-dash CD player. I was on vacation in Cali and took it to Niello BMW in Sacramento. I explained to them that the display went out one night and came back on the next day. Although the display worked fine when I took it in, they replaced the entire unit under warranty - no questions asked. And this wasn't even my normal service dealership! They also repaired my AC unit the same day. They were booked with appointments, but squeezed me in since I told them I was on vacation and was strapped for time. Props to Rebecca at Niello BMW in Sacramento for the hook up. I had problems with my multifuntion steering wheel as well, but it refused to show any signs of deficiencies when I took it to Winslow BMW in Colorado Springs. Again, they replaced the wiring system and it was done that very day. It seems to me that the guys you're dealing with simply don't want to put in the work.

BMW is for pansy asses baby!

Last edited by Killer Junior; 07-15-2002 at 12:05 AM.
Killer Junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 10:05 AM   #8
suchards

My Ride: Bmw e46 1998 Saloon
yesterday while driving in the afternoon i had my sidelights on and i noticed that the lighting around the time display became dim, i switched the lights off and the lights surrounding the time came back on .. then i switched my sidelights on again and noticed that it had become dim again but after a few seconds i saw the surrounding lights illuminate back on .. has anyone else had this problem .. hope this made sense .. is this somthing that i should be worried about?
suchards is offline   Reply With Quote