E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Car Care & Detailing

Car Care & Detailing
Get detailing answers and tips here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-12-2002, 10:44 AM   #21
Imola Ed
That's a lot of nuts!

My Ride: Formerly:2002 ACS M3
Send a message via AIM to Imola Ed
Quote:
Originally posted by .Gravedgr.
Have you guys had any experience with the metallic paints? I'm wondering if the Carbon Black Metallic will be HARDER or EASIER to maintain than the glossy Jet Black. After hearing testimonials and reading the Zaino Bros. site, I'm impressed enough to go with their full like of products I think.
I think it'll be about the same, though the metallic nature of the paint will hide stuff a little. Very little. Almost insignificant. I had a Cosmos Black M3 a few years ago, so I've been there too
Old 04-12-2002, 01:01 PM   #22
Krix330cic(NJ)
Still around...

My Ride: SOLD - Aug. 2004
Send a message via AIM to Krix330cic(NJ)
That answer's simple!

park the car in garage, and don't drive it! lol!
Old 04-12-2002, 01:20 PM   #23
hbmike

My Ride: 03 530, 00 328i dead
that's why i won't get a black car again... they look great for the first 10 minutes after a wash, and then dusty again...
hbmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2002, 01:26 PM   #24
prcentauri

My Ride: 330 xi
Send a message via AIM to prcentauri
i use cleaner first like zymol cleaner wax, and then i put on meguire's gold class - looks realy nice. definately order a P21S drying towel. i am gonna order one when i get a chance. also, about the 3M imperial glaze - i hear it's great. i couldnt find it in the store near me so thats the only reason why i don't use it. otherwise i would use it. enjoy.
prcentauri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2002, 01:31 PM   #25
E46Supra
Kompressed

My Ride: ///M
Re: That answer's simple!

Quote:
Originally posted by Krix330cic(NJ)
park the car in garage, and don't drive it! lol!
WORD!

Cars can't get dirty sitting in the garage!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	garage1.jpg
Views:	714
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	55  

Universale Selbstladepistole

Mercedes Benz E55 AMG
BMW M5
E46Supra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2002, 01:32 PM   #26
E46Supra
Kompressed

My Ride: ///M
BMWs suck

BMWs suck!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	garage2.jpg
Views:	735
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	56  

Universale Selbstladepistole

Mercedes Benz E55 AMG
BMW M5
E46Supra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2002, 01:54 PM   #27
SteveL

My Ride: '02 330Ci & '98 528i
Secret is in the process and products!!

Invest in some really good terry cloth towels from Fieldcrest. The Charisma is the best you can get! They are about $20 a piece for a bath towel. Also get a bunch of micro fiber towels to use for quick detailing, drying, etc. Wal Mart carries the Nicsand brand and you can get 2 for about $4. Always use a quality car wash soap and a terry cloth wash mit. NO SPONGES!!!! They just trap the dirt and scratch. Rinse the mit frequently!

I use to use a CA water blade, but have lately noticed some small hair line scratches that I think were caused by it, so it's temporarily retired. I've got 2 black BMWs and work VERY hard to keep them perfect. Mine is driven 25k a year and is a '98, but you would never know. i learned everything that I know about pampering paint on http://www.autopia-carcare.com/ A ton of good info and some real fanatics. Here's a shot of my daily driver.

SteveL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2002, 02:09 PM   #28
big bad jon
Secret Asian Man

My Ride: 2k2 Jet Black 325Ci
Quote:
I use to use a CA water blade, but have lately noticed some small hair line scratches that I think were caused by it, so it's temporarily retired.
i noticed some hairline scratches too, but i dunno whether or not they came from the water blade...
btw, does anyone know a good place to get the p21s? thanks.
big bad jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2002, 03:33 PM   #29
Imola Ed
That's a lot of nuts!

Quote:
Originally posted by big bad jon

i noticed some hairline scratches too, but i dunno whether or not they came from the water blade...
btw, does anyone know a good place to get the p21s? thanks.
I just did a Google search to find a place. Don't remember exactly where I got it.

And the CA Water Blade will not scratch your car if you're not dragging dirt around with it. Gotta make sure it's really clean before using the blade.
Old 04-12-2002, 04:04 PM   #30
BMW328i2000
[name here]

My Ride: 2000 BMW 328i
Yeah but when you have a black car polished it looks sooo sweet!!!
Old 04-12-2002, 05:00 PM   #31
SteveL

My Ride: '02 330Ci & '98 528i
Yea, they do....

Right after I posted this morning, it started to rain for about an hour so now i get to go home and wash again!!! That will be the 3rd time this week. Gotta look good for the mini meet tomorrow!!!
SteveL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 05:53 AM   #32
BMWintoxication
Taiwan/Vancouver/Shanghai

My Ride: Jet Black02' 325ci
Send a message via AIM to BMWintoxication Send a message via MSN to BMWintoxication
"it looks the cleanest when it's clean and the dirtiest when it's dirty"

ha ha that's why I got a jet black bimmer
BMWintoxication is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 07:40 AM   #33
Tominizer

My Ride: none
I hear it's a good idea to use a good washing solution with a wax in it. But at the end of the day, Black is a nitemare to maintain. Oh well................
Tominizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 07:55 AM   #34
.Gravedgr.
Got M?

My Ride: '02 CBM M3
Send a message via AIM to .Gravedgr.
So true...

Quote:
Originally posted by BMWintoxication
"it looks the cleanest when it's clean and the dirtiest when it's dirty"
I'm sure someone will disagree with me, but no color gives a deeper, glossier, more "liquid look" than black when it is clean and polished.

We have a friend of the family who used to show his '55 Chevy sedan (took 1st place national more than once). It was painted with 7 coats of tuxedo black laquer, and then 5 coat of clear. The paint job alone was $15,000, but you would swear you were looking in a mirror - you could lean over the hood and spot food caught in your teeth.
Old 04-15-2002, 10:15 AM   #35
Imola Ed
That's a lot of nuts!

Re: So true...

Quote:
Originally posted by .Gravedgr.

I'm sure someone will disagree with me, but no color gives a deeper, glossier, more "liquid look" than black when it is clean and polished.

We have a friend of the family who used to show his '55 Chevy sedan (took 1st place national more than once). It was painted with 7 coats of tuxedo black laquer, and then 5 coat of clear. The paint job alone was $15,000, but you would swear you were looking in a mirror - you could lean over the hood and spot food caught in your teeth.
Not gonna hear me disagree. If you checkout the "hood shot" thread in the showroom, you can see the reflection of my ceiling in the hood of the car. If it weren't for the vents being in the picture, you'd swear it was just a pic of my ceiling!
Old 12-24-2002, 01:00 AM   #36
peleke4

My Ride: 2003 bmw 330ci
water blade

I use to use a CA water blade, but have lately noticed some small hair line scratches that I think were caused by it, so it's temporarily retired. I've got 2 black BMWs and work VERY hard to keep them perfect. Mine is driven 25k a year and is a '98, but you would never know. i learned everything that I know about pampering paint on http://www.autopia-carcare.com/ A ton of good info and some real fanatics. Here's a shot of my daily driver.

I used the water blade once and noticed long horizontal scratches on the hood, roof, and trunk. Just like swirl marks, they are more noticeable depending on the lighting. I'm never using the blade again.
peleke4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2002, 01:44 AM   #37
HOSTYL

My Ride: Hamann Widebody
Black shows all clear coat scratches. I have a million of them. Thats just the price you pay for getting black. My car is garaged so I dont wash it as much as some of you guys. Hell, I only wash it if it gets rained on and there are water spots. I just use the California duster and then Mothers Showtime to clean it up. Oh yeah and Meguires Quik Detail cuz I'm sponsored by them
Black really looks good though during overcast or when its all wet and shiny. Still my #1 color of choice for cars.

-=HOSTYL=-
WHEELPOWER.COM
HOSTYL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2002, 05:29 AM   #38
SkipII

My Ride: 2001 330 Ci
Black is not for everyone

e46 Supra and SteveL are closest to having it right.

Having swirls on black paint is "not just the way it goes." Black will simply show more vividly whether you have good washing/waxing techniques.

Products have little to do with getting scratches or swirls -- with some notabile exceptions.

Most wash mitts you buy at auto parts stores are not truly all-cotton even though they say they are (I have called the mgfrs., and they admitted there was poly binding in the frabric. Poly WILL scratch the paint.

Other than that, scratches are caused by rubbing the dirt across the paint (most dust is microscopic rocks!). Wash with two buckets -- one with clean, soapy water, the other filled with clean water. Using a nozzle-less hose, always run water over the area you are washing. When you have done a panel, shake/rinse the mitt in the clear water and then recharge it in the soapy water to start the next panel. Wash in a protected area (I wash my car IN the garage) and dry using either truly all-cotton towels (with the poly binding cut off) or the new mirofiber towels.

Water blades DO NOT scratch you car -- what scratches your car is any left-over or new dirt/dust on your car as you are drying. If you are not confident you can get your car that clean, then use a towel instead.

I also always wash/dry/wax in a single direction so if I do get a swirl, it is less likely the sunlight will catch a reflective edge.

Zaino is a HIGHLY reflective polymer coating that tends to fill some of the scratches. Personally, I think it is the wrong product to use over black since you want the deep, wet look that black best shows, not a mirror-like finish, but to each their own.

Hope that helps.
SkipII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 01:02 PM   #39
joem

My Ride: 2007 530xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Gravedgr.
Have you guys had any experience with the metallic paints? I'm wondering if the Carbon Black Metallic will be HARDER or EASIER to maintain than the glossy Jet Black. After hearing testimonials and reading the Zaino Bros. site, I'm impressed enough to go with their full like of products I think.
carbon black will be about the same, maybe a little easier. white always the easiest.
Old 11-13-2004, 01:14 PM   #40
e46myway

My Ride: 2001 E46 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by makonto
what it looks like ???
Cali Water Blade and a P21S Drying Towel
Not a big fan of water blades. I just let the water sheet off and use a chamois after I have washed it and re wet the entire car.

- e46myway
e46myway is offline   Reply With Quote