E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-21-2014, 10:21 PM   #1
djetaine

My Ride: 2001 330CI
Clutch replacement - weekend warrior job?

I'm no stranger to getting my hands dirty and I can follow directions pretty well. Did a full head job and cams on my e36, suspension work, etc. That being said, I have never done any transmission work at all.
Pretty sure my clutch is going out. It feels okay in the pedal but every so often when i mash the gas in gear the car will rev for a second then catch.

Is a clutch and (possibly) flywheel replacement something that an amateur like me should attempt doing? I've got decent tools and a garage to do it in, but I'll only have a a weekend to get it done.
If so, any specialty tools I should get my hands on to make the job easier/faster?
djetaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:02 PM   #2
KILL3RD1SAST3R

My Ride: Leah
I replaced my clutch and flywheel a couple months back and it took me a total of 10 hours. And I had about as much experience with transmissions as you do! Ha just make sure you have enough extensions to get to the top bolts on the tranny and a pilot bearing puller. Search some DIYs before you start so you know what tools you need and so you'll have a grasp on what to do! Hope that helps a little. If you can do engine work then this shouldn't be that bad for you!

- Jacob

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
KILL3RD1SAST3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 12:34 AM   #3
jM2.me

My Ride: BMW
Long extensions is a must, and some sort of impact tools will make job easier.
If one of the top bolts gets stripped, good ****ing luck.

Volcano Red M3 Bumpers, Fenders, Quarter panels 19" 8.5ET35 225/35 | 9.5ET35 255/30 Custom Quad Exhaust Good old M54
jM2.me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:28 AM   #4
mr ilia

My Ride: 98 323is, 04 325ic
I was in the same boat late fall last year. I was contemplating doing the job myself in the garage with out car lift, on the ground with winter around the corner. I'm sure i have enough experience and tools to get it done, but for the reasons above I shopped around and had it done by the shop for 500.00 in labor and 350.00 for the clutch kit.
I figured out, that without a carlift, I'm better to have someone else do this for me.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:31 PM   #5
BDUB328I

My Ride: bmw 328i sedan (E46)
as everyone has posted make sure you have long extensions! I ended up putting like 5 together and breaking a few. your extensions have to basically be the length of the transmission+ . there are many DIY video's on clutch installs, just make sure you follow the directions precisely and you will be good.

Below is a little video I made, there are much better ones out there. but watching it is probably worth 5 minutes of your time. One thing I didn't mention in the video is that when you loosen/tighten the flywheel bolts and the pressure plate bolts, you need a friend to hold the crank pulley on the front side of the engine with a large socket. This video was made with the engine out of the car so you can see how long it takes after your done fighting the trans on and off. If your good it doesn't take long at all, even if your not an expert its easily manageable in a weekend.

Last edited by BDUB328I; 04-22-2014 at 03:46 PM.
BDUB328I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 03:51 PM   #6
teamdfl
Slow in, slower out

My Ride: 325it
4 jackstands, lots of extensions, and a buddy that is easily bribed with pizza are all it takes.

teamdfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 01:55 AM   #7
Snipez4664

My Ride: '00 328i
extensions help. I use wobble extensions which helps get a couple of the top ones. I remove the motor mount nuts and jack the front of the motor which also seems to help one some of the screws. Doing it alone in a weekend will take some motivation, but it can certainly be done. My buddy and I had a game plan and worked as fast as possible, trying to pull an E30 transmission in under an hour. We failed by 5-6 minutes, but it can be done quickly with help and access to the right tools.
Old 04-23-2014, 02:50 PM   #8
Taylor@Bimmertools
also NOT a mechanic

My Ride: BMW X5 35d
Totally doable based on your previous experience but remember, patience is a virtue.
Taylor@Bimmertools is offline   Reply With Quote