E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-30-2004, 11:20 AM   #1
bmwnetgui

My Ride: 01 330 & 03 996c4s
Send a message via AIM to bmwnetgui Send a message via Yahoo to bmwnetgui
What are the advantages and disadvantages of Sway Bars

I was told by someone that installing sway bars to your vehicle uses up more gas. How true is this? Just curious to know the actual facts.

Sig by Hi it's me alec

moore technology consulting
www.moore-tech.com
347 682-5711
bmwnetgui is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-30-2004, 11:23 AM   #2
Cecil328i

My Ride: 2000 328i
How in the hell does it use more gas? Its for handling and controlling body roll through turns....i think that person's name is BS.
Old 06-30-2004, 11:24 AM   #3
Jeff43
next mod: recaro child seat

My Ride: smells like surf wax
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwnetgui
I was told by someone that installing sway bars to your vehicle uses up more gas. How true is this? Just curious to know the actual facts.
only because you can accelerate through the turns....

seriously, i'd love to hear the explanation behind that one...
Old 06-30-2004, 11:29 AM   #4
Chocaine
--

My Ride: '04 330ci
Disadvantages:
Might get noisey and need readjustment.

Advantages:
Better handling and the ability to dial out some of the understeer.
Old 06-30-2004, 11:32 AM   #5
bobm3
Senior Eurowerkz Member

My Ride: 2003m3smg
Sway Bars Will Make Your Car Turn 40% Tighter I Say

when you get sways they help with body roll in turns worth very peny they cost. then you can put cross brace that does the same thing but not as much. then get coilovers and have them corner balance. that is the top of having your car balance with you inside of it. or they but weight in car as same as yourself weight. just like the racecars drivers in races do. those four things you can do all for the best handling you can have on a car. or any one will inprove the car handling. and if you have your car lowered that will save you gas but not much. because car is lower and as less drag on car .so you will save gas... but sway bars really doesn't afect the gas millage at all.
bobm3
Old 06-30-2004, 11:33 AM   #6
hk_e46

My Ride: 2000 318Ci
probably reduce some weight and gain on power/weight ratio?

but without sway bar you have to decelerate more before turn into corners so end up you need to step the gas harder to get more speed when exit corners?

Spec.: E46 318Ci 2000'
A bimmer fans from Hong Kong
hk_e46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 11:38 AM   #7
bmwnetgui

All of your opinions so far makes plenty of sense. thanks for the info. Please keep them coming. So in overall, it is worth it to get sway bars if you push your vehicle hard right?

Sig by Hi it's me alec

www.moore-tech.com
347 682-5711
Old 06-30-2004, 11:46 AM   #8
Cecil328i

My Ride: 2000 328i
yep
Old 06-30-2004, 11:47 AM   #9
nzDave

My Ride: Darth Bimmer
Sway bars = more fun Sway bars help the car corner flatter, they balance the weight of the car better and keep more weight on the inside cornering tires, so better traction and better cornering. Also produces a better feel and keeps the occupants more comfortable.

Ok ok ok..here ya go courtsey of UUC Motorwerks:
Old 06-30-2004, 11:47 AM   #10
niL
is on da floor

My Ride: 2001 330i
Send a message via AIM to niL
Quote:
All of your opinions so far makes plenty of sense. thanks for the info. Please keep them coming. So in overall, it is worth it to get sway bars if you push your vehicle hard right?
damn right, one of the best 1st mods you can get i wanted better handling and couldnt swing the price of coils so i picked some sways up from UUC

2001 330i rebuilt from the salvage yard
From start to finish...
niL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 11:48 AM   #11
bmwnetgui

Thank you for the detailed explanation. I know have a better understanding of the usefulness of sway bars.
Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobm3
when you get sways they help with body roll in turns worth very peny they cost. then you can put cross brace that does the same thing but not as much. then get coilovers and have them corner balance. that is the top of having your car balance with you inside of it. or they but weight in car as same as yourself weight. just like the racecars drivers in races do. those four things you can do all for the best handling you can have on a car. or any one will inprove the car handling. and if you have your car lowered that will save you gas but not much. because car is lower and as less drag on car .so you will save gas... but sway bars really doesn't afect the gas millage at all.
bobm3

Sig by Hi it's me alec

www.moore-tech.com
347 682-5711
Old 06-30-2004, 12:03 PM   #12
Tommy_hf

My Ride: '03 ci
but they also make the limit narrower and give less warning when the grip is going to be gone...
Old 06-30-2004, 12:35 PM   #13
bmwerkes
Para-Magic

My Ride: 01 330i, 5 spd
They also transmit more bumps and vibration to the chassis, due to the extra stiffness/lack of flex in the thicker aftermarket bars. You may have a few extra creaks (sunroof) than before. Usually they weigh the same or more than stock and have absolutely no bearing on power or fuel economy.
bmwerkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 12:59 PM   #14
bmwnetgui

Does the strut bar put additional wear and tear on your tires?

Sig by Hi it's me alec

www.moore-tech.com
347 682-5711
Old 06-30-2004, 01:34 PM   #15
kashif

My Ride: Blown 330i
i really dont see any disadvantage with sways,

your ride stays about the same. As long as handling is concerned sways are the best bang for the buck
Old 06-30-2004, 02:05 PM   #16
DN328

My Ride: 1999 | Dinan 3
Quote:
Does the strut bar put additional wear and tear on your tires?
I think that you may be confusing sway/anti-roll bars with strut bar. But in case you did mean strut, the answer is no. In fact, I would go as far to say that anti-roll bars wouldn't either. Although, some would argue (I'm anticipating this here ;-) that being more stiff adds more pressure to the tires (i.e. in corners), thus wearing more rubber. But, I would say in the real world, day-to-day driving, the answer is no.
DN328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 02:10 PM   #17
AceDaKing
Chilly Willy

My Ride: 2013 M5, 10 M6,08 M5
Send a message via AIM to AceDaKing Send a message via Yahoo to AceDaKing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy_hf
but they also make the limit narrower and give less warning when the grip is going to be gone...
explain
Old 06-30-2004, 02:18 PM   #18
bobble

My Ride: 323Ci
Less understeer the quicker the limit of adhesion comes or in other words you don't get that feeling of the car pushing around corners as much before the limit is upon you. Once you exceed the car or your own limit around she comes. Generally speaking you exceed the drivers limit before the cars. This is the main reason most driving schools suggest not running full stiff on the rears right away unless you have a bit of performance driving experience under your belt. Hope that explains his statement better!
bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 02:28 PM   #19
JCz04Bimmer

My Ride: 2004 330Ci & 06 Z4MC
Send a message via AIM to JCz04Bimmer
I think the rationale behind the sways giving you less warning as to whether you'll loose grip is based on this:

With stock sways your car is more likely to get dicey at high speed cornering but you'll be very much aware of the car getting out of balance, you'll lean and feel it. The idea is that the CAR not the TIRES will loose its balance first and, in turn, when the car gets antsy, you'll reduce your speed and your tires will never have the chance to get out from under you. Your stock sways will let you know you're going too fast far in advance of your tires giving out.

BUT, with beefed up sways, your CAR's body is not going to get dicey at all. Its going to stay level and planted to the ground as long as your tire's stickiness will let you. So, the idea is that when your car starts to get unbalanced with the bigger sways, your tires are damn close to loose their grip whereas before you would have already reduced ur speed and chilled because the stock sways were making your car off balance.

Still, if you're a good driver, you get a much better feel for things in your car whether your sways are bigger or not. If you know your car's capabilities the sways are an excellent upgrade because then you can use your tire's full grip and then ease up when you know you're going to loose it.

JCz04Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 03:03 PM   #20
Alberto_jr

My Ride: e90 330i
O.K..if I install sway bars will it make my ride more "stiff"? The sport sunspension is stiffer vs the stock. But I don't know if I would install the sway if the bar bounced harder or speed bumpes.
Alberto_jr is offline   Reply With Quote