E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum

Motorsports & Track Forum
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2004, 08:33 PM   #1
YetiX

My Ride: 01 330Ci, 01 X5
How to start racing, Karts the way to go?

I went to Indy a couple (few?) weeks ago and now I want to go racing. I've autocrossed a few times and done very well. However, I want to get on a track and race other drivers wheel-to-wheel (I'll do a driving school or two as well) and can't afford a separate race car.

It seems to me that Karting would be the least costly and easiest way to try racing and see how it goes. In the past I've jumped into things without researching first so I thought I'd get some opinions this time around.

What do you all think? Is Karting the best way to try racing or am I missing something better?

Thanks,

Yeti

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-06-2004, 09:38 PM   #2
teamdfl
Slow in, slower out

My Ride: 325it
A buddy just picked up one of these to get into karting:
http://www.easykart.com/
It's a spec kart and race series meant to keep costs low and competition tight. Find your local kart tracks to see what sort of events they host and if there is a spec kart series that you can get into.

Also:
http://www.ekartingnews.com/

Ed

EDIT: The Shumacher family owns a kart track in Germany. Michael and Ralf grew up in karts. I think it's safe to say that karting is a good place to start.

Last edited by teamdfl; 07-06-2004 at 09:57 PM.
teamdfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 10:19 PM   #3
stealthy

My Ride: ///M3
Karts are also pretty expensive as well. My friends and I were looking into it last year. The tires are $100+ each. Engine rebuild on almost once every year. Brake pads and rotors cost about the same as cars. The only difference is the space and initial investment. That's about it.

I agree. If you want to go open wheel. Kart is the way to go. If you are looking for touring cars, I suggest you start with Spec series. Like Spec Miata or Spec Neon.

Good luck.
Old 07-07-2004, 12:20 AM   #4
YetiX

My Ride: 01 330Ci, 01 X5
I was wondering about Miataspec. I like the idea of racing a "full size" car but . . . I know the intial outlay might be a bit more but after that I don't know. I've seen a few ads for ready to race karts for around $3,500 which doesn't sound like that much all things considered. Either way I'm going to have to get a new helmet, etc.
Old 07-07-2004, 10:08 AM   #5
teamdfl
Slow in, slower out

My Ride: 325it
Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiX
I was wondering about Miataspec. I like the idea of racing a "full size" car but . . . I know the intial outlay might be a bit more but after that I don't know. I've seen a few ads for ready to race karts for around $3,500 which doesn't sound like that much all things considered. Either way I'm going to have to get a new helmet, etc.

Spec Miata is probably the cheapest way to get into "full size" racing. It also probably has the lowest per event cost thanks to spec tires and the inherent miserly nature of the Miata. It is easy on gas and brakes and the bone yards are full of junked Miatas if you need sheetmetal or hard parts.

Kerting will cost you even less if you get into a spec or sealed motor class. Brakes and tires are much cheaper. Also you don't need a full size truck to tow a kart. I easily tow a 1500lb loaded enclose trailer with my E30.

Ed

teamdfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 09:55 PM   #6
Mpower619
The Stig

My Ride: 2000 328Ci(e46)
YetiX Im also from San Diego PM me if you want to talk about racing. I do many track events anywhere from 2 to 3 events a month so I have lots to say if you are really into it. Go-Karting is definitely a good stepping stone, and I went through them myself. Im off to Willow springs this weekend so Im definitely not available this weekend. Good luck...
Mpower619 is offline   Reply With Quote