E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum

The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum
Use this forum to discuss anything in relation to wheels to tires to offsets.
Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-13-2004, 03:32 PM   #1
Jeff43
next mod: recaro child seat

My Ride: smells like surf wax
Question for those w/Rolled Fenders....

did you remove any of the weather-proofing that sits inside the fender lip? is it one solid strip, or is it sprayed in there and some can be scraped out?

i had my fenders rolled last week (at Rogue) and Ben remarked on how much weather proofing material was in the lip and that it would prevent the tool from compressing the lip as much as normal. We left it in because i don't want my fenders to rot out. Everything was fine for a week with no rubbing (even when i tried to make it happen) but then last night i got a slight rub again. So now i'm curious if anyone has taken some or all of that material out, and what, if any, consequences there were....

i'm running 18x8.5 BBS CH (35mm) w/235/40s all around w/Schnitzer shocks & Springs...i realize this is an aggressive offset w/that tire size, but after a lot of research on here i was assured they would fit no problem...got a little rub, so i brought it to Rogue, thought it was fixed, but apparently i'm still having some issue with it...any ideas or options? thanks guys...-Jeff

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-13-2004, 03:44 PM   #2
e popa

My Ride: M3,Sc323ci,Ml320
they dug it out when they rolled mine

AW M3
Matte Black CSL's,gills & grills
brembos, Dinan exhaust
Alacantra wheel
OEM CSL trunk,VCSL roof,bumper,diffuser
e popa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 03:47 PM   #3
Straz M3
Rogue Engineering

My Ride: 2008 M3 Coupe
Send a message via AIM to Straz M3
Nice rims Jeff...how come no show at Weehawken?
Old 07-13-2004, 03:55 PM   #4
Clem
Alpha Male

My Ride: Twin Turbo'd Beast
I never took my weather coating out.

You shouldn't have a problem with CHs and that tire size.
Clem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 04:38 PM   #5
Jeff43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straz 330Ci
Nice rims Jeff...how come no show at Weehawken?
Hey Straz...got involved with the future in-laws and fkn wedding plans... my advice to all fanatics is to elope. seriously. I was especially bummed because i was really excited to "not be the guy on stock rims" at this meet...

Quote:
never took my weather coating out.

You shouldn't have a problem with CHs and that tire size.
everyone keeps telling me this and i'm still having slight problems. it's making me crazy... i love these wheels but just want to get this sorted already...maybe we'll try scraping it out and rolling them a bit more...Ben also said that he could adjust the camber a little bit so it would provide a bit more clearance to the fender lip and not really effect tire wear...
Old 07-13-2004, 04:48 PM   #6
Choson1
Owner

My Ride: Keepin' it Real
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff43
did you remove any of the weather-proofing that sits inside the fender lip? is it one solid strip, or is it sprayed in there and some can be scraped out?

i had my fenders rolled last week (at Rogue) and Ben remarked on how much weather proofing material was in the lip and that it would prevent the tool from compressing the lip as much as normal. We left it in because i don't want my fenders to rot out. Everything was fine for a week with no rubbing (even when i tried to make it happen) but then last night i got a slight rub again. So now i'm curious if anyone has taken some or all of that material out, and what, if any, consequences there were....

i'm running 18x8.5 BBS CH (35mm) w/235/40s all around w/Schnitzer shocks & Springs...i realize this is an aggressive offset w/that tire size, but after a lot of research on here i was assured they would fit no problem...got a little rub, so i brought it to Rogue, thought it was fixed, but apparently i'm still having some issue with it...any ideas or options? thanks guys...-Jeff

I had my 330ci fender liners shaved. They shave it out and spray a protectant on the metal underneath the liner...2.5 years later, inside of fenders still in perfect shape.
Old 07-13-2004, 04:54 PM   #7
gmhl10
Resident CF Whore

My Ride: '05 A08 M3
Send a message via AIM to gmhl10 Send a message via MSN to gmhl10
Quote:
everyone keeps telling me this and i'm still having slight problems. it's making me crazy... i love these wheels but just want to get this sorted already...maybe we'll try scraping it out and rolling them a bit more...Ben also said that he could adjust the camber a little bit so it would provide a bit more clearance to the fender lip and not really effect tire wear...
I know how you feel.
I have BBS RG-R 18x8.5 at 38mm with 235/40 tires and people tell me the same thing, but I still get rubbing.
My car sits very low on the coilovers.
I rolled my fenders (because the rubbing is irritating and I might get a different set of wheels later). The body shop guy said that he molded something onto that area of the bumper so that water and wind doesn't get into there.
Good luck to you.

gmhl10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 05:14 PM   #8
Jeff43

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmhl10
I know how you feel.
I have BBS RG-R 18x8.5 at 38mm with 235/40 tires and people tell me the same thing, but I still get rubbing.
My car sits very low on the coilovers.
I rolled my fenders (because the rubbing is irritating and I might get a different set of wheels later). The body shop guy said that he molded something onto that area of the bumper so that water and wind doesn't get into there.
Good luck to you.
i'm not even that low on the Schnitzer set up...weird. i'm committed to getting this straightened out...i feel like it is barely rubbing, and only under remote circumstances, so i just need a bit more room under there...i'll look into that weather-proofing spray in case i decide to scrape all that stuff out...it feels like there is a good 1/2" to 3/4" of it in the fender lip...

*BTW* - why the move to tire and wheel? this is FENDER/BODY related...i'm not asking about rims or tires or offsets, i'm asking about BODY WORK...when i searched "GENERAL" there are a ton of threads about fender rolling there...Wheel & Tire is like the burial ground for misfit threads...no responses!
Old 07-13-2004, 09:29 PM   #9
Jeff43

fkn seriously....move this back...in an 1/2 hour i got 6 or 7 responses that helped...you move it in here, 4 hours go by and it has gotten 5 MORE VIEWS since then....

this is a bodywork question. put it back in the general forum where it belongs.
Old 07-14-2004, 03:46 PM   #10
doubleroll

My Ride: '02 330Ci/'72 Vette
Quote:
i'm not even that low on the Schnitzer set up...weird. i'm committed to getting this straightened out...i feel like it is barely rubbing, and only under remote circumstances, so i just need a bit more room under there...i'll look into that weather-proofing spray in case i decide to scrape all that stuff out...it feels like there is a good 1/2" to 3/4" of it in the fender lip...

*BTW* - why the move to tire and wheel? this is FENDER/BODY related...i'm not asking about rims or tires or offsets, i'm asking about BODY WORK...when i searched "GENERAL" there are a ton of threads about fender rolling there...Wheel & Tire is like the burial ground for misfit threads...no responses!
Had some of it removed when my fenders were rolled. They refilled it with silicone. Almost a year later all is OK.
Step
Sport Pkg
Premium Pkg
Bi-Xenon
HK
Heated Seats

Mods:
HRE 441R 18*8F/18*9R w/S-03's 225F/255R
Passport 8500

doubleroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 04:00 PM   #11
WarSong
Obey my dog

My Ride: 2007 Audi A4 3.2Q
Send a message via ICQ to WarSong Send a message via AIM to WarSong Send a message via MSN to WarSong
mine was removed when the fenders were rolled.
Old 07-14-2004, 05:13 PM   #12
Jeff43

thanks guys...i just found Wurth Underbody spray that is a protectant for wheel wells, so i think i'm going to remove the factory stuff then put on a thin coat of the wurth spray and have the fenders done again...there is seriously about 3/4" of an inch of this stuff in the fender lip that is preventing it from compressing against the roller...hopefully this will solve my problems and my fenders won't rot out because of all of the wonderful weather and salt we have here in the nor'east...

thanks again for the replies...they helped a lot....
Old 07-15-2004, 11:25 PM   #13
EricE330ci

My Ride: 2002 M3
How hard was it to remove the factory weather proofing?

Even though a local shop has the rolling tool I'd rather remover the weather proofing before they get to roll the metal then I would reseal it with silicone.
Old 07-16-2004, 01:30 AM   #14
doughsun
aka Ko Chun

My Ride: is retired...
Quote:
Originally Posted by e popa
they dug it out when they rolled mine
Old 07-16-2004, 08:48 AM   #15
Straz M3
Rogue Engineering

My Ride: 2008 M3 Coupe
Send a message via AIM to Straz M3
sorry that I cant help you Jeff but I saw u on 208 two days ago going South right by Fair Lawn Ave...I was going North and I definately knew it was you...car looks good
Old 07-17-2004, 04:11 PM   #16
Jeff43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straz 330Ci
sorry that I cant help you Jeff but I saw u on 208 two days ago going South right by Fair Lawn Ave...I was going North and I definately knew it was you...car looks good
thanks Straz...hopefully i'll be at the beach meet next weekend....