E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum

The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum
Use this forum to discuss anything in relation to wheels to tires to offsets.
Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-16-2004, 04:09 AM   #1
jackal7

My Ride: 2004 325i
Concern about vibration while braking...

I just recently completed an install of H&R Cupkit with 18in wheels setup. It has been about three weeks and I'm ready to perform an alignment. My first question, is three weeks enough time to let the suspension components settle? Also, my main concern is, I noticed that the car starts vibrating only when braking and reducing from high to medium speeds (i.e. between 60mhp and 80mph), once I get in the low 30mhp the vibration starts to dissapears. I just want to know what might cause that behaviour and if it will go away after I perform the alignment.

Thanks in advance.
jackal7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-16-2004, 09:54 AM   #2
Gary@Tirerack

My Ride: 1995 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackal7
I just recently completed an install of H&R Cupkit with 18in wheels setup. It has been about three weeks and I'm ready to perform an alignment. My first question, is three weeks enough time to let the suspension components settle? Also, my main concern is, I noticed that the car starts vibrating only when braking and reducing from high to medium speeds (i.e. between 60mhp and 80mph), once I get in the low 30mhp the vibration starts to dissapears. I just want to know what might cause that behaviour and if it will go away after I perform the alignment.

Thanks in advance.
Have you ruled out that its a brake problem? Seems odd that it would only vibrate upon braking.

Click sig! -->

Gary@Tirerack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 11:08 AM   #3
kyle808

My Ride: 00 328CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackal7

Thanks in advance.
I had the exact same symptoms before. Your front rotors are probably warped. The problem disappear after I replaced the rotors.

"I'm gonna die! Jesus, Allah, Buddha - I love you all!
-Homer Simpson
kyle808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 11:13 AM   #4
jackal7

Gary...guess what?

Well,

Gary and Kyle, you guys were right. We isolated the problem to the front break discs being warped. What in the hell would cause that...? The car only has 4k miles on them and about 400 miles on the new suspension and wheels. By the way Gary, I just placed an order for rotors and pads at tirerack and dropped your name as a reference, order number 8190624. Can you expedite the order...lol This crap is killing me!
Being military overseas makes things a little difficult when trying to care for your baby, some of the prices for parts here in the UK are astronomical and with shipping and convenience factors in cosideration, it limit your sources to get good parts at decent prices. I only hope that it doesn't worsen while I wait for the parts. I guess minimal driving is in order.
Thanks for your input.

Rick
Old 07-20-2004, 11:17 AM   #5
Gary@Tirerack

My Ride: 1995 BMW M3
The order is already completed processing, open to the warehouse and will ship with our next batch of Parcel Post APO orders

Click sig! -->

Gary@Tirerack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 11:59 AM   #6
jackal7

Thanks Gary

Once again, you never fail to amaze me with your customer support.

Endless Thanks
Rick
Old 07-22-2004, 12:52 AM   #7
bSPOT

My Ride: 330Ci
Rotors can really easily get warped when they are hot after a long hard day of breaking and you go into a car wash and get that icy cold water splashed on your 300degree+ rotors. Do you frequently wash your car after driving or wait for your rotors to cooL??
bSPOT is offline   Reply With Quote