E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Classifieds > For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy > Engine & Performance

Engine & Performance
Everything to make your car faster! Air intakes, superchargers, turbos, flywheel & clutch, differentials, chips, short shift kits, exhausts, etc.....

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-28-2004, 03:19 PM   #1
GabbyGM3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Miami
Posts: 35
My Ride: 2003, Jet Blk M3.
E46 M3 Flywheel

Fidanza 12lb. E46 M3 Flywheel
__________________

GabbyGM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-28-2004, 11:33 PM   #2
Trip
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: CHICAGO
Posts: 4
My Ride: '01 E46 330I
WOw

My friend has that flywheel on his M3 and I have to say it's amazing how much of a difference it made. A must for Ultimate Mpower
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 09:28 AM   #3
GabbyGM3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Miami
Posts: 35
My Ride: 2003, Jet Blk M3.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip
My friend has that flywheel on his M3 and I have to say it's amazing how much of a difference it made. A must for Ultimate Mpower
Yeah, I have it on mine and I am amazed at how much power was being lost at the flywheel. It is less than half the weight of the OEM one.

Just posted incase any other ///M owners wanted to find a good price on a great upgrade.
__________________

GabbyGM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 02:10 PM   #4
3ThirtyCI
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Mahopac,ny
Posts: 35
My Ride: Sil 330ci
how much for the flywheel?
3ThirtyCI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 04:18 PM   #5
GabbyGM3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Miami
Posts: 35
My Ride: 2003, Jet Blk M3.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ThirtyCI
how much for the flywheel?
Click on the link. 330 Flywheels also available, I believe.
__________________

GabbyGM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 04:58 PM   #6
Ghost Rider
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Florida
Posts: 1
My Ride: TiSilver E46 M3
Gabby, did you get any rattling from this flywheel? Are you the seller or did you just buy from them?
Ghost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 06:33 PM   #7
amitv85
ROI-ndian
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,526
My Ride: is oOoOoUT
Send a message via AIM to amitv85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Rider
Gabby, did you get any rattling from this flywheel? Are you the seller or did you just buy from them?
ditto, I want to know if there is rattle
if theres none, thats my next mod

(since i have a list of **** to do in 2 weeks after I receive my new M )
__________________


Dave Moss: What's your name?
Blake: F**k you. That's my name.
Blake: You know why, mister? 'Cause you drove a Hyundai to get here tonight, I drove an eighty thousand dollar BMW. *That's* my name
amitv85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 07:32 PM   #8
GabbyGM3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Miami
Posts: 35
My Ride: 2003, Jet Blk M3.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitv85
ditto, I want to know if there is rattle
if theres none, thats my next mod

(since i have a list of **** to do in 2 weeks after I receive my new M )
No rattle. Just the sound of a pencil sharpener. It comes and goes, never during acceleration, usually during idle or release of gas. A friend has the UUC flywheel/clutch setup and he says that his is more noticeable than mine.
__________________

GabbyGM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 12:34 PM   #9
Rob Levinson * UUC Motorwerks
UUC Motorwerks, *******
 
Rob Levinson * UUC Motorwerks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: GA
Posts: 3,963
My Ride: 7s, M5s, M3s, others
Quote:
Originally Posted by GabbyGM3
No rattle. Just the sound of a pencil sharpener. It comes and goes, never during acceleration, usually during idle or release of gas. A friend has the UUC flywheel/clutch setup and he says that his is more noticeable than mine.

Transmission rattle varies between identical-model transmission.

If his UUC sprung-hub clutch rattles more than your generic solid-hub clutch, then if your solid-hub clutch were installed in his transmission, it would rattle like rocks in a paint bucket.

That's simply how the variability of these transmissions expresses himself - your only 100% valid comparison of any transmission-related part (flywheel, clutch, shifter, fluid type, etc.) is when you compare it on the same car. Not "same model" but your exact car.

Educated food for intelligent thought...

- Rob
__________________
- Rob Levinson * UUC Motorwerks * 678-679-5360 * uucmotorwerks.com

BIG BRAKE KIT HEADQUARTERS!

ALL CURRENT UUC SPECIALS:
-[ CLICK HERE ]
Rob Levinson * UUC Motorwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 02:07 PM   #10
GabbyGM3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Miami
Posts: 35
My Ride: 2003, Jet Blk M3.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Levinson * UUC Motorwerks
Transmission rattle varies between identical-model transmission.

If his UUC sprung-hub clutch rattles more than your generic solid-hub clutch, then if your solid-hub clutch were installed in his transmission, it would rattle like rocks in a paint bucket.

That's simply how the variability of these transmissions expresses himself - your only 100% valid comparison of any transmission-related part (flywheel, clutch, shifter, fluid type, etc.) is when you compare it on the same car. Not "same model" but your exact car.

Educated food for intelligent thought...

- Rob
Just repeating what one of your customers opinion is.
__________________

GabbyGM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 02:45 PM   #11
Rob Levinson * UUC Motorwerks
UUC Motorwerks, *******
 
Rob Levinson * UUC Motorwerks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: GA
Posts: 3,963
My Ride: 7s, M5s, M3s, others
Quote:
Originally Posted by GabbyGM3
Just repeating what one of your customers opinion is.

Just clarifying the limited sampling and test subject variability involved.

Without an understanding of how those things affect test results, nothing is understood. For example, if all you had ever eaten was mud and then someone feeds you a moldy piece of bread, you might claim that a moldy piece of bread is the best-tasting food in the world. You'd be lacking the sampling of what other things taste like and the understanding that other people who eat food have a more varied diet.

- Rob
Rob Levinson * UUC Motorwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 04:43 PM   #12
GabbyGM3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Miami
Posts: 35
My Ride: 2003, Jet Blk M3.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Levinson * UUC Motorwerks
Just clarifying the limited sampling and test subject variability involved.

Without an understanding of how those things affect test results, nothing is understood. For example, if all you had ever eaten was mud and then someone feeds you a moldy piece of bread, you might claim that a moldy piece of bread is the best-tasting food in the world. You'd be lacking the sampling of what other things taste like and the understanding that other people who eat food have a more varied diet.

- Rob
Well I like the mud, and my friend that likes the moldy bread prefers the mud also.

Just clarifying it into your terms.
__________________

GabbyGM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 05:08 PM   #13
Rob Levinson * UUC Motorwerks
UUC Motorwerks, *******
 
Rob Levinson * UUC Motorwerks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: GA
Posts: 3,963
My Ride: 7s, M5s, M3s, others
Quote:
Originally Posted by GabbyGM3
Well I like the mud, and my friend that likes the moldy bread prefers the mud also.

Just clarifying it into your terms.

Not to be argumentative, but you've got to "get it" to get it.

His transmission is noisier than yours regardless of what flywheel/clutch. If you guys SWAPPED your setups, his would sound louder than yours.

Hope that clears things up.

- Rob
Rob Levinson * UUC Motorwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 06:49 PM   #14
GabbyGM3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Miami
Posts: 35
My Ride: 2003, Jet Blk M3.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Levinson * UUC Motorwerks
Not to be argumentative, but you've got to "get it" to get it.

His transmission is noisier than yours regardless of what flywheel/clutch. If you guys SWAPPED your setups, his would sound louder than yours.

Hope that clears things up.

- Rob
You have neither heard what his car sounds like, nor mine. So you cannot say that is a fact. The fact is that I have the Fidanza flywheel/ Oem clutch setup, and my friend has the UUC clutch/flywheel kit. He believes his setup is more noticeable than mine. I'm not saying which setup is better.

The UUC setup is obviously going to hold more power because of the upgraded clutch. But if you do not need to support 400RWHP, then you shouldn't have to pay 1800 for a flywheel/clutch kit.
__________________

GabbyGM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 07:35 PM   #15
Rob Levinson * UUC Motorwerks
UUC Motorwerks, *******
 
Rob Levinson * UUC Motorwerks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: GA
Posts: 3,963
My Ride: 7s, M5s, M3s, others
Quote:
Originally Posted by GabbyGM3
You have neither heard what his car sounds like, nor mine. So you cannot say that is a fact. The fact is that I have the Fidanza flywheel/ Oem clutch setup, and my friend has the UUC clutch/flywheel kit. He believes his setup is more noticeable than mine. I'm not saying which setup is better.

The UUC setup is obviously going to hold more power because of the upgraded clutch. But if you do not need to support 400RWHP, then you shouldn't have to pay 1800 for a flywheel/clutch kit.
I don't have to hear either car.

I know how the clutches work.

Compared to any fixed-hub clutch, the UUC sprung-hub clutch will result in much less gear rattle when installed in the same car.

Please tell me how I can explain this differently - we're not having an argument, I am simply making the point about how these clutch systems work in terms of rattle-resistance and that different cars are more or less prone to make noise, skewing "comparisons" between different cars.

You're not paying $1800 no matter what - you're paying several hundred dollars less for the UUC, and what you are paying for is advanced technology in rattle resistance, and getting higher power-handling capacity as a benefit.

For more of what we should be talking about, please see our page describing what actually causes gear rattle:

http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/flywheel/gear_rattle.htm

- Rob
Rob Levinson * UUC Motorwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 10:50 PM   #16
fastestm3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Never Never land
Posts: 263
My Ride: m3
They have the same m3, same year, same SMG tranny, so now what your saying is that EACH car has its own tranny noise? Come on be realistic here, I could understand a 330 vs. m3 or an e36vs e46 m3, but not the same exact car against the same car, its common sense
fastestm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 07:29 AM   #17
Rob Levinson * UUC Motorwerks
UUC Motorwerks, *******
 
Rob Levinson * UUC Motorwerks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: GA
Posts: 3,963
My Ride: 7s, M5s, M3s, others
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastestm3
They have the same m3, same year, same SMG tranny, so now what your saying is that EACH car has its own tranny noise? Come on be realistic here, I could understand a 330 vs. m3 or an e36vs e46 m3, but not the same exact car against the same car, its common sense
That is exactly what I am saying! These things are not identical carbon copies - they are mechanical devices built with certain tolerances. Additive or subtractive tolerances, to be specific, which can make an individual example (serial number XXXXX47) act very differently than the one built right next to it (seral number XXXXX48).

We've seen this continually for many years, and it's common knowledge. This is also how cars like the M3 Lightweight come into existence - BMW bench tests 100 engines and chooses the strongest 5% as "special". Exact same parts, same design, yet why are some stronger than others? It's all in the tolerances and how a specific combination of these parts works better or worse than another.

With the flywheels, the proof is simply empirical. Two of your "exact same" cars install the same flywheel, one makes a noise and one doesn't. The math is simple on that one. Car-to-car variation is a simple fact of mechanical assembly.

- Rob
Rob Levinson * UUC Motorwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 11:06 AM   #18
GabbyGM3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Miami
Posts: 35
My Ride: 2003, Jet Blk M3.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastestm3
They have the same m3, same year, same SMG tranny, so now what your saying is that EACH car has its own tranny noise? Come on be realistic here, I could understand a 330 vs. m3 or an e36vs e46 m3, but not the same exact car against the same car, its common sense
Its a waist of time arguing with this guy. He just wants people to think that their 1800 kit is less noisy than a 400 flywheel, even though we have factual evidence. All BMW's with the same build dates are all identical, but this guy wants to argue that. I don't care, it's money that won't be going into his pocket so i understand his reason to change everyone's mentality.
__________________

GabbyGM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 11:22 AM   #19
Rob Levinson * UUC Motorwerks
UUC Motorwerks, *******
 
Rob Levinson * UUC Motorwerks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: GA
Posts: 3,963
My Ride: 7s, M5s, M3s, others
Quote:
Originally Posted by GabbyGM3
Its a waist of time arguing with this guy.
I agree with you. We shouldn't argue.

Anybody that has driven more than a couple BMWs will be aware of the build variations. Without the experience, I would not expect you to understand.

- Rob
Rob Levinson * UUC Motorwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 03:36 PM   #20
GabbyGM3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Miami
Posts: 35
My Ride: 2003, Jet Blk M3.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Levinson * UUC Motorwerks
I agree with you. We shouldn't argue.

Anybody that has driven more than a couple BMWs will be aware of the build variations. Without the experience, I would not expect you to understand.

- Rob
Yeah, go drive your variety of BMW's.
__________________

GabbyGM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use