E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum

The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum
Use this forum to discuss anything in relation to wheels to tires to offsets.
Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-27-2004, 05:25 PM   #1
UNameIt

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Opinions on decision for xi wheels and tires

I've been reading through the forums for a couple of weeks now and let me tell ya. You guys have saved me thousands of dollars in costly mod mistakes. Thanks!!!!

I was originally going to get Hamann PG3s 19x8.5 on all four wheels but decided against it. First...it pushed my budget way past the break point because I forgot to factor in the suspension drop. OOPs! Second...I decided to go with a more conservative wheel upgrade. Maybe 19s later.

So here's what I decided:
BBS CH 18x8.5 on all fours
Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 225/40/18

I'm planning on installing a Dinan Stage1 suspension upgrade. I understand that this should drop an xi about 1.5 inches (approx).

Question 1: Do I run a chance of rubbing with the CH at a 35 offset?

Question 2: Will I need to get camber plates installed to compensate for the xi drop in suspension? The xi sits at -20. I think I read that the camber after the drop should be somewhere between -50 to -70. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Question 3: If I do end up adjusting for camber, will this cause a problem with putting my 17s on during the winter?

Question 4: If I purchase through TireRack, do the hubcentric rings get shipped automatically, or do I need to request them?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Sorry...no pics. The car is stock at the moment after all. Will post pics after I get the aero kit (Tornado by RDSport), wheels, suspension and clears on.

2003 325xi | Steel Grey | Sport Pkg | Prem Pkg | Wint Pkg | Xenon Headlights | 18 x 81/2 BBS CH Wheels | Eagle F1 GS-D3 Tires | Dinan Stage 1 Susp|
UNameIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-27-2004, 11:56 PM   #2
GarrettF
needs a new sig...

My Ride: '02 330Ci
Send a message via AIM to GarrettF
1. you shouldnt rub.. hell its an xi.. even with a drop it still wont be that low
2. an alignment will do just fine to adjust the car after a drop
3. nope
4. in my experience tire rack sells a complete package.. let them mount and balance..call gary on the phone if it is a major concern
Old 06-28-2004, 07:08 AM   #3
SteelBlueXI

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarrettF
1. you shouldnt rub.. hell its an xi.. even with a drop it still wont be that low
2. an alignment will do just fine to adjust the car after a drop
3. nope
4. in my experience tire rack sells a complete package.. let them mount and balance..call gary on the phone if it is a major concern
Some corrections

1. 35 is kind of aggressive but on the stock XI suspension you will be fine. The XI can go as low as any other E46. The only problem the XI has is camber... which brings us to...

2. Because the XI starts so high, if you lower it down a lot you're gonna be running more negative camber than a RWD E46 at the same ride height. I have Dinan springs which only make me a quarter of an inch lower than the stock sports package and that pushed my camber out to -1.5 . If you go any lower you might want to consider them. Or you could just take a chance and see how your tires wear.
Old 06-28-2004, 04:53 PM   #4
UNameIt

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlueXI
Some corrections

1. 35 is kind of aggressive but on the stock XI suspension you will be fine. The XI can go as low as any other E46. The only problem the XI has is camber... which brings us to...

2. Because the XI starts so high, if you lower it down a lot you're gonna be running more negative camber than a RWD E46 at the same ride height. I have Dinan springs which only make me a quarter of an inch lower than the stock sports package and that pushed my camber out to -1.5 . If you go any lower you might want to consider them. Or you could just take a chance and see how your tires wear.

So...are you saying that if I get the Dinan Stage 1 suspension...I most likely will end up rubbing with the BBS CHs? Or should I go with a more conservative offset wheel?

2003 325xi | Steel Grey | Sport Pkg | Prem Pkg | Wint Pkg | Xenon Headlights | 18 x 81/2 BBS CH Wheels | Eagle F1 GS-D3 Tires | Dinan Stage 1 Susp|
UNameIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 05:25 PM   #5
SteelBlueXI

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNameIt
So...are you saying that if I get the Dinan Stage 1 suspension...I most likely will end up rubbing with the BBS CHs? Or should I go with a more conservative offset wheel?
Em... not exactly.

It's possible the BBS CHs would rub on the Dinan suspension, but not likely. In all honesty you could probably slam the car and run a 35 offset as long as you run a conservative tire like a 225/40.

Just FYI, one of my fenders was pushed in 6mm from an accident, and it made my wheels with ET38 and 225/40 tires rub when I had my Dinan suspension installed. There's not a huge margin for error here.

Just search around and see what people have gotten away with.
Old 08-05-2004, 01:37 PM   #6
CYBER PETE
Dinan Pimp

My Ride: 2006 Honda Ridgeline
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlueXI
Em... not exactly.

It's possible the BBS CHs would rub on the Dinan suspension, but not likely. In all honesty you could probably slam the car and run a 35 offset as long as you run a conservative tire like a 225/40.

Just FYI, one of my fenders was pushed in 6mm from an accident, and it made my wheels with ET38 and 225/40 tires rub when I had my Dinan suspension installed. There's not a huge margin for error here.

Just search around and see what people have gotten away with.
Kevin..your the XI knowledge master !