E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-16-2004, 10:07 AM   #1
ca1242

My Ride: 2003 330i
Question Image Dynamics IDMax vs. IDQ?

Thoughts on either sub?

I am getting two 10" subs, just having a hard time deciding between the two. The IDQs only need .5 cubic feet, which would fit perfectly behind the seat, allowing spare tire access with no mofifications. For the ID Maxes, I would have to do a little more fabrication to allow spare tire access.

Main thing I am looking for is audiophile-quality sound, not earth shaking bass (seems like the IDMaxes are built for SPL only, but I don't know about SQ).

IDQs are cheaper, but if the ID maxes are that much better in SQ, then I don't mind paying twice as much.

Thanks.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-16-2004, 10:36 AM   #2
low
OG e46fanatics lurker!

My Ride: is outside
ive heard both Max and IDQ in different cars. but i spent more time with the IDQs (in a e46 sedan) and they sounded so smooth. they were two 10s fitted in the spare and it sounded great. the Max when it was being shown to me sounded really loud probably because it was inside an integra hatch. it did still sound good. sorry if this doesnt help much

Pretty girls in bikinis...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwang1
no one ask you to click on it cry baby :cry: now I can see why Dougsun doesn't like you either.... sigh....
- I've been victimized with BOARD DRAMA!!! :lmao:

Last edited by low; 08-16-2004 at 10:48 AM.
low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 10:38 AM   #3
rcurley55

My Ride: 2001 IR M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1242
Thoughts on either sub?

I am getting two 10" subs, just having a hard time deciding between the two. The IDQs only need .5 cubic feet, which would fit perfectly behind the seat, allowing spare tire access with no mofifications. For the ID Maxes, I would have to do a little more fabrication to allow spare tire access.

Main thing I am looking for is audiophile-quality sound, not earth shaking bass (seems like the IDMaxes are built for SPL only, but I don't know about SQ).

IDQs are cheaper, but if the ID maxes are that much better in SQ, then I don't mind paying twice as much.

Thanks.
Well, there's a few things to look at here.

First - what kind of power do you have? Second - is weight a consideration? Third - what can you use as a reference to "earth shattering"?

The IDMAX is simply a SQ woofer that gets loud - I wouldn't consider it a SPL woofer at all. One of the key benefits of an IDMAX is that it can be setup IB. You may find that a pair of 10"s IB would be very audiophile and still provide stunning low end....IB though is typically "drier" and flatter then most people like.

Really, you could get a way with just one MAX12 - the only problem is that the box will be a bit large for it - around 1.5 - 1.6 cubes sealed - that's not a big box, but - it's going to have to be deep - and that won't work for you.

here's what the box for my IDQ12's looks like in my car:

http://www.sounddomain.com/memberpage/656122/8

I say do the IDQ's - if space is a big concern, and you want sealed, that's the way to go.
rcurley55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 11:08 AM   #4
ca1242

Power is not a concern. I am getting 800 watts x 2 (Soundstream VGA1600.2), so I have enough for either IDQs or MAXes. ID recommends 400 watts max for the IDQs, but I am sure they can take more as long as the signal is 100% clean, which is what I am doing.

Going the isobaric route with the MAXes might not be a bad idea. I could have both 10's into a single 0.5 cubic ft. enclosure, but would they fit in such a small box? It is also smaller overall cone area, so it might be louder with just two IDQs? By dryer and flatter, do you mean tight and accurate? This is what I am looking for. I want the music to sound exactly the same way as when it was recorded, I don't want any coloration (unlike most people). I do want the bass to be loud and have impact, if it was recorded that way.

Ideally, I am trying to maximize trunk space and keep weight to a minimum, but if the MAXes do justify in order to get better SQ, then I might compromise.
Old 08-16-2004, 11:13 AM   #5
rcurley55

800W to IDQ10's is going to be a lot...I wouldn't go much more personally.

IB = Infinite Baffle - not isobaric. An IsoBaric setup (like a clamshell) only proves to decrease box size and to cancel out non-linearities - basically, it takes double the power and double the woofers to get the same output - with today's drivers, it's not really a viable option.

Many SQ competitors are running IB setups because of their extreme low end output and their great sound. But I would only recommend this if you had VERY strong midbass.

The MAXes will probably have better SQ and get louder. But you should really do some listening to decide what is for you.
Old 08-16-2004, 01:38 PM   #6
ca1242

Sorry for the confusion, though you meant isobaric. I do have strong midbass (down to 60Hz), but are not a fan of infinite baffle. I prefer sealed boxes because the sound is much more controlled. I might go with the IDQs and see how it turns out. Since they are not too expensive, I can get a pair and see how they perform. If not happy, I can always upgrade later.

In my wife's previous car, I installed Image Dynamics horns with 8" IDQ midbases on the kicks, driven by only 30 watts per channel. The 8's were so loud, I didn't have a need for subwoofers in the back. Obviously, bass did not extend all the way down to 20Hz, but it was more than enough for what my wife listened to (mostly dance music). I hope two 10" IDQ's will be enough for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcurley55
800W to IDQ10's is going to be a lot...I wouldn't go much more personally.

IB = Infinite Baffle - not isobaric. An IsoBaric setup (like a clamshell) only proves to decrease box size and to cancel out non-linearities - basically, it takes double the power and double the woofers to get the same output - with today's drivers, it's not really a viable option.

Many SQ competitors are running IB setups because of their extreme low end output and their great sound. But I would only recommend this if you had VERY strong midbass.

The MAXes will probably have better SQ and get louder. But you should really do some listening to decide what is for you.
Old 08-16-2004, 02:27 PM   #7
xxbenzc230kxx

My Ride: WALD C230k
Send a message via AIM to xxbenzc230kxx
can i power 1 12 IDMAX with a 250/1 JL amp?
xxbenzc230kxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 02:30 PM   #8
rcurley55

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbenzc230kxx

can you? of course you can

would it sound good? sure it would

would I recommend it? no way

Even an IDMAX is a pretty efficient driver, but I'd say give it at least 500W if not more. If you went that low power, a ported box would be a must IMHO.
Old 08-16-2004, 03:45 PM   #9
low
OG e46fanatics lurker!

My Ride: is outside
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbenzc230kxx
get a more powerful amp and get loud

Pretty girls in bikinis...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwang1
no one ask you to click on it cry baby :cry: now I can see why Dougsun doesn't like you either.... sigh....
- I've been victimized with BOARD DRAMA!!! :lmao:
low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 12:58 AM   #10
xxbenzc230kxx

My Ride: WALD C230k
Send a message via AIM to xxbenzc230kxx
well right now i have a 1 12w3v2 with the 250/1.. its not yet connected.. will it sound good? need advice...
xxbenzc230kxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 01:50 AM   #11
itzphong

My Ride: 01 330CIC, 02 745i
Send a message via AIM to itzphong
i have the idmax a 12... in a seal box.. sounds real nice...its powered by a 1200 watt amp... using gauge 0 or 2 (i forgot)....

Want/BUY List
Pioneer Z2
UUC TS3Exhaust?
Fog light HID 6500K
Painted Front reflectors
Side clears
LED taillights
itzphong is offline   Reply With Quote