E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-18-2004, 02:35 PM   #1
Devious1
Invalid User

My Ride: 330ci
Send a message via AIM to Devious1
Do gas stations water down their gas? mileage question.

Do you notice that every full tank calculates a different "miles left" in your dash? Some full tanks register at 410ish miles, some only go 350ish. I just filled up 2 days ago and only drove under 100 miles, yet my tank is half gone from a full tank. WTF is that?!! I've been driving under 70mph on the freeways, nothing above 5k rpms. Under 100 miles = half tank??

Anyone of you fanatics notice this too? Is there a number we can call to see if the gas stations are watering down their gas or to check the purity of their gas? How do you even know that you're really getting 91 octane?

lame questions? flame on. it's just been sorta bothering me for the past couple of fills.

Last edited by EZ3; 08-18-2004 at 02:38 PM.
Devious1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-18-2004, 02:41 PM   #2
robhutch

My Ride: '06 330xi
Send a message via AIM to robhutch
the miles till empty is calculated based on average mpg, there is no way they put water in the gas, that would make ur car spit and sputter like there is no tomorrow
Old 08-18-2004, 02:42 PM   #3
Driv3r2k

My Ride: 325xi
yes, actually i have the same issue. But for a gas station to water down their gas, is to commit a federal offense, thus it would very dumb of them to do such a thing. But nonetheless my friend is in a lawsuit this very moment against an Exxon station (in my area) cause his range rover died on the free way and when it got towed to a shop the mechanic checked the gas and it was over 40% water.

Ps- He only made it about 1.2 miles then his car died. It occured during the gas price sky rocket earlier this year.
Driv3r2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 02:47 PM   #4
flacoy2k

My Ride: 2002 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driv3r2k
yes, actually i have the same issue. But for a gas station to water down their gas, is to commit a federal offense, thus it would very dumb of them to do such a thing. But nonetheless my friend is in a lawsuit this very moment against an Exxon station (in my area) cause his range rover died on the free way and when it got towed to a shop the mechanic checked the gas and it was over 40% water.

Ps- He only made it about 1.2 miles then his car died. It occured during the gas price sky rocket earlier this year.
Now that is what I call water down. For me the term water down when it came to gas was when shady gas station will sell you premium gas when it really was just plain old regular gas. I wonder about that sometimes.
flacoy2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 02:47 PM   #5
mike_vegas

My Ride: 325i m3 soon
1. if gas stations watered down thair gas the two would seperate. thiar for depending on where thair pumps picked up the fuel from the tank (probaly the bottom) the pumps would only pick up water.

2. if there was water in your fuel you would defetly know
Old 08-18-2004, 02:51 PM   #6
3Aims

My Ride: 325i
Most of the reputable places do not water down their gas.
3Aims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 02:56 PM   #7
Devious1
Invalid User

Quote:
Originally Posted by robhutch
the miles till empty is calculated based on average mpg, there is no way they put water in the gas, that would make ur car spit and sputter like there is no tomorrow
yeah, but i've been driving very conservative and my "miles left" is at a alltime low. how would you explain under 100 miles equaling to half a tank of gas? maybe they don't use water, but something else to dillute (sp) the water.
Old 08-18-2004, 03:07 PM   #8
abomb

My Ride: 2004 330Ci
It still takes a while for the miles left to return to "normal". Had you been previously driving aggressively? Maybe you have a bad guage... why not try filling up again to see if you really have a half empty tank.

If you really did burn half a tank and you really are driving conservatively, there might be something wrong with your car, maybe it is running too cold (such as a thermostat stuck open), or there is a lot of drag on the car. Definately fill up first to see if the gauge is accurate, if it's half empty you should be able to pump about 8 gallons.

I often wonder about those gas pumps where there is one nozzle for all three grades. What if the guy before got cheap 87 octane gas, then you only buy like 1/2 gallon of 93 octane... with the amount in the hose, are you ending up with like 92.5 octane? Anyhow, I don't believe 87 octane fuel will make a significant impact on fuel economy anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZ3
yeah, but i've been driving very conservative and my "miles left" is at a alltime low. how would you explain under 100 miles equaling to half a tank of gas? maybe they don't use water, but something else to dillute (sp) the water.
abomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 03:25 PM   #9
K:^P

My Ride: 00 323//65 Fastback
I gotten a 'cocktail'(old oil in the gas) before. I know because I fill my gas can for the lawn mower and it out brown. I'm suspicious too after that. So, if I have doubts, like seeing a no name tanker truck refilling the station, I would then go to a different one.
K:^P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 03:28 PM   #10
CGRIZZ516

My Ride: 2000 323ci
I tend to avoid the pumps with the single nozzle. I dont think it affects anything, but just for peace of mind.
As for the gas mileage, it could be driving style or any number of things stated above. It also depends where you drive. Most of my driving is stop and go in my neighborhood, it sucks and my gas mileage sucks too. I get around 150 miles per half tank.
CGRIZZ516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 03:53 PM   #11
Stevo759

My Ride: M5
Send a message via AIM to Stevo759
alcohol in the gas

Make sure when you are getting your gas, you pay attention to the sticker thats on the gas tank. It will say how much ALCOHOL is in the gas. Gas companies are now putting alcohol in the gas, beacuse it too burns like gas, but not as efficient. In these cases, you normally see a drop in the price of the gas as well...I think the normal amount of alcohol in the gas is 8% to 10%.
Stevo759 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 03:58 PM   #12
robhutch

My Ride: '06 330xi
Send a message via AIM to robhutch
if u think there might be water in ur gas then buy some "dry gas" when u fill up ur tank, dump that crap in before u fill up, that should help if there is water in there
Old 08-18-2004, 04:05 PM   #13
e46CI

My Ride: 2000 S4, 2004 R6
To calculate your miles till empty, your car simply takes your current mpg and multiplies it by the size of your gas tank -- in my case 16 gallons.

There is no conspiracy w/stations watering down the gas... as has been mentioned before, that would cause your engine to sound funky and possibly cause knocking
Old 08-18-2004, 04:07 PM   #14
ultra-violence
-The Wristwatch Pimp-

My Ride: E46 323i
It would be sooooo illegal for gas stations to water down their gas, and they would most likely lose all business if it got around that they did. However, water will gather on the top of gas as it sets in the tanks underground (a natural process). The higher the octane, the less water that will be accumulated on the top. Most stations do a printout every evening that shows how much water is on the top of the gas in each grade's underground tank to make sure that it is where it should be.
ultra-violence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 11:45 AM   #15
Devious1
Invalid User

i got 244 miles per a full tank....

i got gas from another station and i'm already past 244 with a little more than a quarter tank left now. that just pissed me off...
Old 08-25-2004, 11:55 AM   #16
vcamayd

My Ride: 2003 BMW 330Ci
Send a message via MSN to vcamayd
I know for a fact that stations water down their gas. Remember that's pure profit for them. I had a friend who put gas at an Amoco station and the car died down the street next to this other car that had died too. Both had water in their gas and sued the station. 40% water is super high but i'll bet some do it... If not at 40% maybe somewhere around 10 or so... who knows... it's a crap shoot. I throw in a cleaning agent for injectors every 7 thousand miles or so that's suppose to get rid of humidity in the tank. Maybe that helps?? crazy....

Hardwired Passport 8500
Bridgestone Potenza SO-3's
vcamayd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 12:54 PM   #17
daeojkim

My Ride: 2000 323i
Don't rely too much on the mile left meter on the car. If you want to measure mpg correctly this is how you should do.

1. Fill up your gas tank.
2. Reset trip odometer.
3. Drive around until you need to fill up again.
4. Fill your gas tank again and note how much gas you used.
5. Divide trip odometer mileage by the amount of gas you filled up

This is the most correct way of doing it, not your "mileage left" meter.
Old 08-25-2004, 03:13 PM   #18
SD 328I

My Ride: S197, E90, and 1125R
Most gas stations cheat by modifying the gas/price computer on the pump. Essentially you are getting less gas then the pump says you are.

I know this as a fact because I was pumping gas and at the end of it, my total was 17 gallons, but I only have a 16.3 gallon tank!!!
SD 328I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 03:28 PM   #19
Tenchi
Just a Brand-wh0re Elitist

My Ride: 330i, 535i
Send a message via AIM to Tenchi
a lot of gas stations do water down their gas. its not a Federal crime if you do so. It is however illegal if the water content exceeds a certain level. I forgot what the exact figures were

Quote:
Stay away from FedEx if you want your packages delivered in one piece.
Tenchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 10:01 AM   #20
vcamayd

My Ride: 2003 BMW 330Ci
Send a message via MSN to vcamayd
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10chi
a lot of gas stations do water down their gas. its not a Federal crime if you do so. It is however illegal if the water content exceeds a certain level. I forgot what the exact figures were

That sucks!!! WTF... I'm paying for gas not water!

VC

Hardwired Passport 8500
Bridgestone Potenza SO-3's
vcamayd is offline   Reply With Quote