E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-19-2004, 01:59 PM   #1
brodaiga

My Ride: 330ci
Help with IPOD install

I'm trying to figure out the best way to install the ipod, and need some help. I want to mount the ipod in the eurotray. There are 3 options, the ice link, the OEM ipodyourbmw, and the OEM aux input.

I have a 2001 330ci, but my headunit was replaced with another one, part number: 65-12-6-909-883. It has the speed volume adjustment.

Icelink is too expensive at 229, so that's out.

I would to do the ipod your bmw ($150), but a tech from a local dealership told me it would not work even though I had the headunit replaced. Can anyone please help?

Thanks
brodaiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-21-2004, 09:19 PM   #2
badfish

My Ride: 2003 M3 Vert
www.mp3yourcar.com is another option!!! I just found out about this, and seems like a great thing.
badfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 03:34 AM   #3
johnnybu

My Ride: BMW 325I
Send a message via AIM to johnnybu
go with icelink. You'll end up paying more for the ipodyourbmw option. Its 150 for that, but installation is going to get you.

I ended up purchasing the icelink and installing it myself. 3 hour job to get a clean install without any wires sticking out.
johnnybu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 12:15 PM   #4
brodaiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybu
go with icelink. You'll end up paying more for the ipodyourbmw option. Its 150 for that, but installation is going to get you.

I ended up purchasing the icelink and installing it myself. 3 hour job to get a clean install without any wires sticking out.
Can't I install the oem unit by myself?
Old 08-22-2004, 12:21 PM   #5
brodaiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfish
www.mp3yourcar.com is another option!!! I just found out about this, and seems like a great thing.
this looks pretty good $50 cheaper than icelink. Any disadvantages to it?
Old 08-22-2004, 11:14 PM   #6
johnnybu

Quote:
Originally Posted by brodaiga
Can't I install the oem unit by myself?
you can but it involves cutting. There's a pdf on it. You should be able to do a search for it.
Old 08-23-2004, 09:58 PM   #7
badfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by brodaiga
this looks pretty good $50 cheaper than icelink. Any disadvantages to it?

I don't see any disadvantages
Old 08-24-2004, 03:03 AM   #8
johnnybu

Quote:
the reason i went with the icelink instead of the bmwipod option was because i am limited to the 6 playlists i create for bmwipod. With icelink, i can still navigate using the ipod controls and change to any song stored in the ipod. With the bmwipod option, you have to create 6 playlists in itunes, and youre only limited to those songs contained in those 6 playlists.
Old 08-24-2004, 10:17 AM   #9
marcio

My Ride: Mazda Miata
Quote:
Not being compatible with BMWs is not an disadvantage?!
marcio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 11:19 AM   #10
badfish

It *IS* compatable! and what I was talking about wasn't the ipodyourbmw option. It's mp3yourcar.com.

Seems good. I'm gonna try one. It's cheaper than the icelink, and it does everything that ipodyourbmw will do, plus it still lets you use your ipod.

Below is the response I got from the mp3yourcar.com guys when I emailed.

Quote:

Shane,

We have a special adapter for BMW, do you have a navigation unit or factory
CD changer (trunk mounted)? If not, your vehicle will work fine, feel free
to give me a call with any questions or to place an order - the price for
BMW adapters is $199.

Jeremy Briggs
www.mp3yourcar.com
Phone: 858-689-4141

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Saturday, August 21, 2004 5:45 PM
To: sales@mp3yourcar.com
Subject: 2002 BMW 330i w/ Harmon Kardon

Your solution looks just like what I want. Can you tell me if it will
work for a 2002 BMW 330i with the Harmon Kardon stereo?

Thank you,
Old 08-29-2004, 02:42 PM   #11
BMWBoiDE

My Ride: 2010 328 M SportVert
It is possible and not hard

I sucessfully installed the BMW iPod interface in my 2001 325ci. The dealer will print out the instructions when they give you the parts box. It has a bright yellow label on the parts box that tells them where to get the instructions to print them out.

a brief rundown

Remove dash trim
Remove radio and disconnect
Remove 4 pins from connector (need pin removal tool or make one like I did)
Place 4 pins from interface cable into connector where you removed the others
Place 4 pins you previously removed into new supplied connector
Repeat same process for Phone connector if you are wired for phone
Connect cables to interface box
Plug it all back in
Run iPod cable to glovebox
Presto!

I like it because all the radio controls like repeat, scan, random will control ipod too. You get 5 playlists assigned to each preset buton and preset 6 signals to play all songs. You can download the operating instructions on Apple's website to see all the features. Best of all it charges my ipod at same time!
Its great.

FYI, you do need a radio head from a car production date of at least 9/02

Oh and I also installed the AUX connector too! and mounted it on the switch control panel so now any of my freinds can plug in their mp3 players at the same time!
BMWBoiDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 01:51 PM   #12
honger12

My Ride: 2002 SMG M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWBoiDE
I sucessfully installed the BMW iPod interface in my 2001 325ci. The dealer will print out the instructions when they give you the parts box. It has a bright yellow label on the parts box that tells them where to get the instructions to print them out.

a brief rundown

Remove dash trim
Remove radio and disconnect
Remove 4 pins from connector (need pin removal tool or make one like I did)
Place 4 pins from interface cable into connector where you removed the others
Place 4 pins you previously removed into new supplied connector
Repeat same process for Phone connector if you are wired for phone
Connect cables to interface box
Plug it all back in
Run iPod cable to glovebox
Presto!

I like it because all the radio controls like repeat, scan, random will control ipod too. You get 5 playlists assigned to each preset buton and preset 6 signals to play all songs. You can download the operating instructions on Apple's website to see all the features. Best of all it charges my ipod at same time!
Its great.

FYI, you do need a radio head from a car production date of at least 9/02

Oh and I also installed the AUX connector too! and mounted it on the switch control panel so now any of my freinds can plug in their mp3 players at the same time!
wait a minute if you need a radio head from a car production date of at least 9/02, how did you get your 2001 to work? did you buy a new head unit?
honger12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 10:15 PM   #13
bender
hammer talks like this

My Ride: 2006 Honda insight
Send a message via AIM to bender
I'm having a hard time following a lot of whats being said. Im trying to solve this ipod dilemma and I can't get straight answers. The problem is I have a stock head unit from a 2002 e46 which doesnt have the AUX input directly on the back of the radio. Only connections my stock head unit are pictured here
So what are my choices if I decide on the ICELINK interface? I would prefer to run wires from the back of my head unit to the center console, but that might not be possible because my head unit is lacking AUX inputs. My other option would be running a wire from the factory ran cd changer plug in the trunk. I would resort to that last because I dont wanna run wires under the carpet(although it really isn't that big of a deal, in fact wires are already run under my carpet for my current setup).

Last edited by bender; 09-29-2004 at 10:18 PM.
bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 11:34 PM   #14
DensionUSA
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: BMW 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bender
I'm having a hard time following a lot of whats being said. Im trying to solve this ipod dilemma and I can't get straight answers. The problem is I have a stock head unit from a 2002 e46 which doesnt have the AUX input directly on the back of the radio. Only connections my stock head unit are pictured here
So what are my choices if I decide on the ICELINK interface? I would prefer to run wires from the back of my head unit to the center console, but that might not be possible because my head unit is lacking AUX inputs. My other option would be running a wire from the factory ran cd changer plug in the trunk. I would resort to that last because I dont wanna run wires under the carpet(although it really isn't that big of a deal, in fact wires are already run under my carpet for my current setup).
It's simple - you need the [I11_BMW_R17S] kit, it will connect to the back of your radio. AUX has nothing to do with ice>Link.

The kit runs for $229, and trust me - you will get the best tech support available from myself and the forum here as well if needed.
DensionUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 02:26 AM   #15
johnnybu

Quote:
Originally Posted by DensionUSA
It's simple - you need the [I11_BMW_R17S] kit, it will connect to the back of your radio. AUX has nothing to do with ice>Link.

The kit runs for $229, and trust me - you will get the best tech support available from myself and the forum here as well if needed.
Werd! I love my icelink. One of my best mods yet. I havent listened to FM radio since putting that sucker in. Real happy customer here! (Ok, cept for a very minor issue with the cradle getting loose after a few weeks... maybe i should have gone with the dock connector instead. Oh well no biggie)

Hey Dension, any word on the module that displays the IDv3 tags?
Old 10-06-2004, 11:28 AM   #16
DensionUSA
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: BMW 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybu
Werd! I love my icelink. One of my best mods yet. I havent listened to FM radio since putting that sucker in. Real happy customer here! (Ok, cept for a very minor issue with the cradle getting loose after a few weeks... maybe i should have gone with the dock connector instead. Oh well no biggie)

Hey Dension, any word on the module that displays the IDv3 tags?
Still in Beta - as soon as I have more info, this forum will be among the first to know!
DensionUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 11:36 AM   #17
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
I put the Icelink in my 2000 328Ci...despite the fact that installation was an absolute bear (had to remove wood trim, head unit, air conditioning control unit, a/c vents above radio, and the compartment tray located under the a/c control unit) it works incredibly well... The finished product is amazing (I'll post pics soon) but more importantly, I can not only have as many playlists as I want, but I can also select a song from the ipod (with the bmw ipod connector u loose the ability to control your ipod)... so say you decide to listen to a song and know it is on your "80's playlist...whereas on the bmw one you would have to go to playlist whatever (whichever is linked to your 80's) and would have to keep selecting next track till you found it... with mine, you simply grab the ipod go to 80s using the trackwheel and select the song you want and bingo!!!

Chase at dension is also a really cool guy... I would recomend talking directly with him.
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 08:55 PM   #18
BentSword

My Ride: 2004 325i
And here is the quick and inexpensive alternative to the iPOD. Only $29.
NO messy wiring. I use it with my small panasonic MP3 player and the sound quality is great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fm_transmitter_3.gif
Views:	1845
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	94375   Click image for larger version

Name:	dsintl_1810_5929198.gif
Views:	1839
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	94376  
BentSword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 09:01 PM   #19
johnnybu

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentSword
NO messy wiring. I use it with my small panasonic MP3 player and the sound quality is great.
Theres no way any FM modulator could compare to a digital signal.
Old 10-07-2004, 02:03 PM   #20
nzDave

My Ride: Darth Bimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentSword
Yup....you lose a lot of audio quality w/ FM. I'm using a Blitzsafe running from my trunk right now. Would upgrade to a Dension when an id3 tag display version comes out.
nzDave is offline   Reply With Quote